Forums
Posted By: Toffeenose bonfire @ the dips - 4th Jun 2012 5:40pm
Hi , does anyone know when the jubilee beacon ( i assume) will be getting lit at the dips??
Posted By: Volly Re: bonfire @ the dips - 4th Jun 2012 5:42pm
Believe its approx. 10pm
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: bonfire @ the dips - 4th Jun 2012 5:45pm
thanks..
Posted By: challo Re: bonfire @ the dips - 4th Jun 2012 5:52pm
is the beacon at new brighton end or harrison drive
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: bonfire @ the dips - 4th Jun 2012 5:54pm
New Brighton end..
Posted By: challo Re: bonfire @ the dips - 4th Jun 2012 5:59pm
thank you
Posted By: Moonstar Re: bonfire @ the dips - 5th Jun 2012 10:51am
Did anyone go? I was meaning to but wanted to finish watching the Buck House entertainment.
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: bonfire @ the dips - 5th Jun 2012 6:10pm
Quite a crowd turned up . Some people turned up with fireworks , some with lanterns.The fire was quite large.But the best part was the usual brilliant sunset , with a large tanker passing just as the sun hit the horizon....amazing..
Posted By: starakita Re: bonfire @ the dips - 5th Jun 2012 7:29pm
we were there last night,it was a nice sight set against the background we stayed till about eleven.
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: bonfire @ the dips - 5th Jun 2012 9:15pm
Did you notice how enormous the moon seemed last night??
Posted By: Greenwood Re: bonfire @ the dips - 5th Jun 2012 10:51pm
I wanted to see the beacon on Moel Famau so went to Column Hill in West Kirby, and saw the tiny flare of amber flame across the Dee. A Lord of the Rings 'beacon' moment, there! Then I whizzed through the lanes (not exceeding the speed limit, dear reader!) to reach New Brighton, by which time that beacon was well alight, and the sun down. It looked fantastic from the back road with the soft, deep blue and rose-splashed evening sky and gleaming sea in the background, distant twinkling lights and the vivid golden flames of the beacon leaping high and crackling busily, the whole spectacle seemingly stitched down to the earth by a ring of tiny figures, their long shadows radiating out from the circle to merge eventually with the darkness, beyond the reach of the glow. Fantastic!
Should also mention the beacon (gas, this time, a safer option for obvious reasons!) on top of St. Nick's tower, which I passed on my way home. Good on them for joining in with it.
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: bonfire @ the dips - 6th Jun 2012 11:04am
Originally Posted by Greenwood
I wanted to see the beacon on Moel Famau so went to Column Hill in West Kirby, and saw the tiny flare of amber flame across the Dee. A Lord of the Rings 'beacon' moment, there! Then I whizzed through the lanes (not exceeding the speed limit, dear reader!) to reach New Brighton, by which time that beacon was well alight, and the sun down. It looked fantastic from the back road with the soft, deep blue and rose-splashed evening sky and gleaming sea in the background, distant twinkling lights and the vivid golden flames of the beacon leaping high and crackling busily, the whole spectacle seemingly stitched down to the earth by a ring of tiny figures, their long shadows radiating out from the circle to merge eventually with the darkness, beyond the reach of the glow. Fantastic!
Should also mention the beacon (gas, this time, a safer option for obvious reasons!) on top of St. Nick's tower, which I passed on my way home. Good on them for joining in with it.
possibly one of the best descriptions of anything i've read on here..
Posted By: Moonstar Re: bonfire @ the dips - 6th Jun 2012 11:08am
You should write books - brilliant descriptive writing.
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: bonfire @ the dips - 6th Jun 2012 12:37pm
Had some friends who went to Moel Famau , and from there , they could just about see the beacon on Snowdon...
Posted By: Greenwood Re: bonfire @ the dips - 6th Jun 2012 10:34pm
Toffeenose and Moonstar, how kind of you - thank you! It was an inspiring sight. (It's a well-known fact that old English teachers never die, their red pens just run out...)

I'd love to have seen the Snowdon beacon, but it wasn't quite clear enough. I think we could see one somewhere around the Great Orme though.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral