Forums
Posted By: Mike72 Pointing - 12th Apr 2012 1:34pm
Hi folks,
Does anybody know the going rate for pointing a house, I have a 4 bedroomed semi detached that needs pointing and was wandering what price's to look out for? Cheers.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Pointing - 12th Apr 2012 1:39pm
Tis rude to point and this is posted in t wrong section smile
Posted By: Mike72 Re: Pointing - 12th Apr 2012 1:46pm
Silly me, At least it's been noticed smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Pointing - 12th Apr 2012 1:51pm
Originally Posted by Mike72
At least it's been noticed smile

Ahhh, the old 'subliminal' chestnut wink

Good luck on your quest sir mike smile
Posted By: Helles Re: Pointing - 12th Apr 2012 10:15pm
I pointed my own but you need scaffolding these days. Is it common brick? Are you talking all three sides of the house?

Used to be about £20 or £25 quid a square metre hence the reason I did my own and saved myself about a grand.

Point to note, it has to be raked out properly, the deeper the better although you will use more mortar.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Pointing - 13th Apr 2012 2:05pm
Do as Helles says, it's a really easy job and it will give you something to do smile
Posted By: Helles Re: Pointing - 13th Apr 2012 2:27pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Do as Helles says, it's a really easy job and it will give you something to do smile

It's only easy if you know what you are doing. Seen too many DIY attempts where mortar is smeared everywhere. Used to be my job so pretty confident but it is boring and time consuming.
Posted By: raymondo Re: Pointing - 13th Apr 2012 4:40pm
give my mate john a ring on 07793499003 say you got the number off ray
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Pointing - 14th Apr 2012 8:17pm
if raked out well you can use a mortar gun, a bit like an oversized silicone gun. overfill the joints and let it dry a bit then tool it in. the excess will fall to the ground almost dry. then throw a custard pie at your local give way sign

ps. if diy. scaffolding not mandatory but recomended
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Pointing - 15th Apr 2012 11:36am
Originally Posted by Helles
Originally Posted by _Ste_

It's only easy if you know what you are doing. Seen too many DIY attempts where mortar is smeared everywhere. Used to be my job so pretty confident but it is boring and time consuming.

I have to disagree, boring i know but it's a piss easy job so please don't make it sound worse than it is smile

Originally Posted by rentaclown100
if raked out well you can use a mortar gun, a bit like an oversized silicone gun. overfill the joints and let it dry a bit then tool it in. the excess will fall to the ground almost dry. then throw a custard pie at your local give way sign

ps. if diy. scaffolding not mandatory but recomended

Thats a very lazy way of doing things clown, you should know better wink
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Pointing - 15th Apr 2012 11:44am
Have a go yourself Mike,but take your time and don't forget to add a squeeze of washing up liquid to the mortar.Have fun.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral