Forums
Posted By: Roslynmuse St Werburgh's, Birkenhead - 13th Aug 2014 6:19pm
In the early 80s I used to go to a school off Whetstone Lane for a rehearsal every week. It was called St Werburgh's, but I just can't work out where it would have been. (Not the primary school that's still there). I can't remember much about it except going up some stairs and walking along a long corridor to the main hall.

Posted By: bert1 Re: St Werburgh's, Birkenhead - 13th Aug 2014 7:05pm
The others would be, around Whetstone lane.

The Woodlands, Birkenhead Institute, The Convent at the top of Whetstone Lane.
Posted By: yoller Re: St Werburgh's, Birkenhead - 13th Aug 2014 8:14pm
The YMCA is very near St Werburgh's - could that have been the place?
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: St Werburgh's, Birkenhead - 13th Aug 2014 10:04pm
No, it was definitely a school and definitely called St Werburgh's. I just can't work out where it could have been. It must have been demolished at some point after 1983 which was the last time I was in there.

Posted By: bert1 Re: St Werburgh's, Birkenhead - 14th Aug 2014 5:41am
Maps, hope they help.

Attached picture sch.JPG
Attached picture sch2.JPG
Posted By: missmahjong Re: St Werburgh's, Birkenhead - 14th Aug 2014 12:13pm
St Werburgh' school is in Parks Gardens ,a little lane off Whetstone Lane before the Y.M.C.A .It was knocked down in the 90's and a new modern one built. Hope this helps ..
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: St Werburgh's, Birkenhead - 15th Aug 2014 6:27pm
Thanks, Bert and missmahjong - it looks as if the primary school is now on the site of the school that was demolished. Would love to see some photos of the old building. smile
Posted By: oscarpops Re: St Werburgh's, Birkenhead - 19th Aug 2014 10:18pm
You must have been in the old building that I went to they built a new school on the playground in 1997 and knocked the old school down in 1998 my kids went there about that time
Posted By: pegsgirl Re: St Werburgh's, Birkenhead - 20th Aug 2014 2:48pm
I left St werburghs primary school in 1969. It was behind Birkenhead Library! The main entrance was in Shaw street, but you could also go through the playground via whetstone Lane.
Posted By: gerrymoore Re: St Werburgh's, Birkenhead - 6th Oct 2019 8:09am
I went there from age 5 to 11 so left in 1962....blimey how old am I !!!! Great school - Mr Fishwick was a really good teacher ...I then went on to St Anselms - great school if you were rich ..not if you got there without paying ...could not wait to leave.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral