Posted By: Mark Wirral Metropolitan College, Eastham - 10th Jun 2007 10:19pm
Wirral Metropolitan College
Carlett Park Campus
Eastham
Merseyside
CH62 0AY

--------
Was this your College ?
Posted By: Wheels Re: Wirral Metropolitan College, Eastham - 11th Jun 2007 9:38am
i did 2 Army prep courses there and loved every minute of it.
Posted By: Pomp Re: Wirral Metropolitan College, Eastham - 11th Jun 2007 6:13pm
I went there to hand some forms in an these lads said it looks like grange hill
Posted By: Pea70 Re: Wirral Metropolitan College, Eastham - 16th Apr 2009 5:01pm
I'm sorry, but when it comes to Wirral Met the only campus to be seen on was Withens Lane.

wink
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral Metropolitan College, Eastham - 16th Apr 2009 5:32pm
12 quays lìke a prison tho i would prefer it to carlett-felt like i had to walk miles between blocks to go the loo
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wirral Metropolitan College, Eastham - 16th Apr 2009 7:14pm
Originally Posted by Mark
Wirral Metropolitan College
Carlett Park Campus
Eastham
Merseyside
CH62 0AY

--------
Was this your College ?

Yes, this was 'my' college - for 3 years and a long time ago.

How long?

Well, there was a girder structure there which was intended to be the "new" college building but was never finished until after I left. The old Manor House was there but much of it was in a dangerous state so the only part that could be used was what was once the chapel. That was our classroom during one year/ maybe 2. There were also ex-army Nissan huts in the woods and I will NEVER forget a winter term in one of those. There was an iron stove in the middle and we used to go foraging in the woods for wood to keep the thing stoked up. Even them we kept our duffle coats on all day.

By the time I left they were just starting work to construct the "new" building / workshops/ laboratories etc. Eventually that "new" building became the old building and another even bigger building was constructed alongside. The old manor house was demolished (or fell down) but the chapel was kept.

In my day the driveway to the college from the New Chester road was a long and winding walk - damned cold and wet in winter.

That was the college - the staff were wonderful, at least in our department. Lots of memories/ stories about the staff and our antics.

There was a canteen at the college but the food was awful so we all used to go down the road to the Eastham Docks canteen - (big) full meal for about 1/6 (old money) including a pint mug of tea. That food was excellent.

I remember that my grant for the course I was doing worked out to be £50 a year.

We are talking about 1961-63 full time then another year part time

Snod
Posted By: jimbob Re: Wirral Metropolitan College, Eastham - 16th Apr 2009 8:55pm
Whats this fancy name CAMPUS. whats wrong with the old name Technical college. Or did they change the name to Campus to sound good but with no real valve to education
Posted By: Wench Re: Wirral Metropolitan College, Eastham - 17th Apr 2009 11:20am
I went to Carlett Park for my Pre-Nursing course back in 1987. Pain in the bum in the winter having to walk up that drive that seemed to never end!! The canteen food hadn't changed much Snod - we used to end up in one of the pubs instead.

Before that, I was at Borough Road for a year when it was just Borough Road, not Wirral Met or any such other rebirth. That was a great college.

I wanted to do Art & Photography at Withens Lane but didn't get in - that's how fierce the competition was back then. All the gorgeous "alternative" people went there frown
Posted By: Pea70 Re: Wirral Metropolitan College, Eastham - 23rd Apr 2009 4:18pm
We were spoilt in the theatre. Had our own loos and coffee bar.
smile
Posted By: Peachy Re: Wirral Metropolitan College, Eastham - 30th Apr 2009 10:17am
I went to the on Liscard Road
Also know as 'The Old School' to resit my maths GCSE smile
Posted By: woodley Re: Wirral Metropolitan College, Eastham - 6th May 2011 2:54pm
Carlett Park was for me too. You're right about the long, winding road to reach it from New Chester Rd. So my Dad bought me a little 125 James motor bike to get there. Came to grief on the left hand bend one day and ended up wrapped in barbed wire and in a bed of nettles.
Posted By: blackmetallic Re: Wirral Metropolitan College, Eastham - 6th Oct 2011 8:19pm
Is it true Carlet is to be demolished fully now?
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Wirral Metropolitan College, Eastham - 6th Oct 2011 9:42pm
Originally Posted by blackmetallic
Is it true Carlet is to be demolished fully now?
only the church left now in the middle of a housing estate smile
Posted By: blackmetallic Re: Wirral Metropolitan College, Eastham - 6th Oct 2011 9:47pm
There should be something more left, that was an amazing place, wherelese in world is there a college site surrounded by woods. Admittedly the place was a luxury, and the Wirral Met. College board wanted it demolished in late 90s as a way of cutting costs, but the place deserves better. Any idea why the football pitches werent built on, or is it because of what actually lies underneath there?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral