Posted By: Mark Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 10th Jun 2007 10:16pm
Woodchurch High School
Carr Bridge Road
Woodchurch
Merseyside
CH49 7NG

--------
Was this your School ?
Posted By: fordsteve Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 11th Jun 2007 11:20am
yer i went there well when i felt like it i went raftl
Posted By: peodude Woodchurch High School - 23rd Mar 2009 5:12pm
I've been looking round the internet, but can't find any history on the school.

I know it used to be a boys school and girls school desperate, and had a 6th form block, and i know the girls gym had a big fire many years ago, i think in the 70's.

Does anyone know any more?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Woodchurch High School - 23rd Mar 2009 5:33pm
It was Woodchurch secondary school and it was divided. I first went there in 1963 and left in 1967. It mainly served children from the Woodchurch, Upton and Overchurch though i did have a couple of friends from the Pensby area. It was a Church of England school though a few Catholic children did attend but in the main Catholic children went to St Hughes. It had a very active sports department and the teams would play against schools as far as North Wales, Chester and outside Liverpool. Not sure when it went mixed or changed to a high school.
Posted By: Pea70 Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 16th Apr 2009 4:59pm
I went there too.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 16th Apr 2009 5:11pm
Woodchurch secondary 1963-67
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 2nd Jun 2009 1:32am
who went to woodchurch high if anyof you know a teacher that was there called mrs ingramm i have some bad new to tell you's that went to woodchurch frown
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 2nd Jun 2009 1:51am
well people who went to woodchurch high and had mrs ingramm as there head teacher or for classes i have just found out that she sadly passed away some time last week. Her funeral is on wensday 3rd june 2009 i will give you more deatails tomorrow when i find out what time and where it is held.

R.I.P MRS INGRAMM
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 2nd Jun 2009 9:39am
Take it noone went to woodchurch high and knew mrs ingramm
Posted By: BadboyZ4 Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 2nd Jun 2009 9:44am
HEY JADE HUNNY WAT U DOIN
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 2nd Jun 2009 9:48am
Trying to find out who went to woodchurch and knew mrs ingramm as the funeral is 2morrow and its at 12.15 at holy name church in oxton
Posted By: uggla Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 4th Jun 2009 7:05am
Plessington 84 - 89 i think
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 4th Jun 2009 12:06pm
I went to woodchuch, that name rings a bell.
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 5th Jun 2009 11:03am
She was my head of year for the last year I was there.
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Woodchurch High School - 1st Mar 2010 11:29am
I went to Woodchurch in the '70s. I think it opened for business in 1957 . By the time I was there the girls and boys bits were combined and it had a large science and sixth form block . I'm sure that quite a few kids came from the Thingwall area went there too. Just before I left , Ridgeway was built and a lot of kids from the Nocky and Ford went there .
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 2nd Jul 2010 4:26pm
Woodchurch High School will be closing its doors (of the old building) very soon to move to the new building for September. If you attended this school you might want to pop in this evening or tomorrow to have a last look around.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 22nd Mar 2011 2:25pm
I went to Woody from 72-76.Some of the teachers;
Dave Parker (games)-great bloke.
Mr Davies (science)-another smashing fella,sadly passed away a couple of years ago.
Tom Langley (maths)-total nut job or was it just an act?

The school didn't have the best reputation but I had a great time there.
Posted By: oitsnik Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 1st May 2011 1:08pm
I went to Woodchurch High from 1972-1976 was an interesting time went to Spain with Mr Burls{Maths} and Mr Pierce cant remember what he taught,there was also Mr Hurworth,Mr Ravenscroft and Tony Jardine of Formula One fame good days they were.
....Nick.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 28th May 2011 11:04pm
oitsnik - did Mr Hurworth teach English/Lit? If so, he must have moved on to Park High because I remember him teaching there! Had a funny eye...
Posted By: sean Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 29th May 2011 4:50am
i went there from 91-96
Posted By: nikkismith Re: Woodchurch High School - 30th May 2011 9:53pm
hello, my dad went to Woodchurch school for boys, i think he started in in 1958, his name was William 'billy' Smith or also went by the name Mocker smith, i wanted to see if anyone knew him or went to school with him. He use to do boxing for the school and won many trophies, please reply back if you knew of him, thank you x x x
Posted By: nikkismith Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 30th May 2011 10:19pm
did anyone go to woodchurch school for boys round the 1958 onwards or knew of someone called william ''billy' smith or mocker smith as he was also know as??? let me know if you have ever herad of him?? x x x
Posted By: bigpete Re: Woodchurch High School - 6th Jun 2011 1:06pm
Originally Posted by bert1
It was Woodchurch secondary school and it was divided. I first went there in 1963 and left in 1967. It mainly served children from the Woodchurch, Upton and Overchurch though i did have a couple of friends from the Pensby area.

There will of been kids from Thingwall - but not Pensby - they were under the West Wirral Education authority - whilst Woodchurch and Thingwall were in the Birkenhead education catchment.
BTW these zones changed in the 1990's kids from Pensby can go to Woodchurch now....
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Woodchurch High School - 6th Jun 2011 8:48pm
Originally Posted by bert1
It was Woodchurch secondary school and it was divided. I first went there in 1963 and left in 1967. It mainly served children from the Woodchurch, Upton and Overchurch though i did have a couple of friends from the Pensby area. It was a Church of England school though a few Catholic children did attend but in the main Catholic children went to St Hughes. It had a very active sports department and the teams would play against schools as far as North Wales, Chester and outside Liverpool. Not sure when it went mixed or changed to a high school.
I went to Wallasey Grammar and I remember playing rugby at (v) Woodchurch - I think it was the coldest I have ever been in my entire life, plus I ended up with a concussion! All in all, not the best 'away' game ever....!!!
Posted By: thegreenqueen Re: Woodchurch High School - 9th Jun 2011 8:41pm
Hi If you log onto the schools website and scroll to the bottom , there is a link for "History of the school". Link also includes a few photos.
Posted By: henry Re: Woodchurch High School - 10th Jan 2012 11:02pm
Hi nikki my name is Henry Marshall and i went to school with your dad
Posted By: spider1 Re: Woodchurch High School - 13th Jan 2012 8:57pm
I was there 67-71, it was a great boys school, but was ruined when the two schools joined up...it was like the staff gave up, and the cane was outlawed at about the same time.

Remember Mr Evans the PE teacher? If he caught you fighting he would set up a boxing ring and take you on himself...
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Woodchurch High School - 13th Jan 2012 10:20pm
Originally Posted by spider1
I was there 67-71, it was a great boys school, but was ruined when the two schools joined up...it was like the staff gave up, and the cane was outlawed at about the same time.

Remember Mr Evans the PE teacher? If he caught you fighting he would set up a boxing ring and take you on himself...

I remember Mr Evans as PE instructor, My end of year report 1967 he wrote "I made no physical effort whatsoever in PE", which was really unfair, what he meant was football, I hated football and made no effort but I could co anything in the Gym and was good at rugby.

PB
Posted By: marzie Re: Woodchurch High School - 17th Jan 2012 10:55pm
mr E how he liked to be called was one horrible little man. he liked nothing more than to cane a boys bare bottom come in the showers naked with the young boys and also think nothing of punching a boy of say twelve or thirteen wich i was in the face as hard as he could. one horrid little person.
Posted By: Jessielove Re: Woodchurch High School - 17th Jan 2012 11:19pm
I went to woody from 2002-2007 was a good school smile
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Woodchurch High School - 18th Jan 2012 3:54pm
Originally Posted by marzie
mr E how he liked to be called was one horrible little man. he liked nothing more than to cane a boys bare bottom come in the showers naked with the young boys and also think nothing of punching a boy of say twelve or thirteen wich i was in the face as hard as he could. one horrid little person.

I must have been a good boy as he never hit me but because I hated Footy he sort of left me alone cos he knew I wasn't interested and I was never going to ply ball and I didn't like him either.

Remember Paddy O'hanlon the art teacher, he used to knock pupils about.

The trouble with that school at least when I was there was you could get caned for nowt, I got caned when someone fell on top of me when I was sitting down in the playground and the teacher though it was a fight, definitely got punished first and then asked questions whilst in that school.
The head teacher was D H Jones when I was there.

PB
Posted By: macbanana1957 Re: Woodchurch High School 1967-72 - 15th Nov 2012 12:56pm
yes I remember Evans as well or "Chimpman" as we called him.
One of a crew of bully boy sadistic child tormentors that taught at that nut house..I was beaten many times and on occasion sexually abused..although we didn't see it as that at the time,all a bit of a laugh..
Evans,O'Hanlon,Mr(hom you up)May,Gill,Webb,Bowie,Birkett,Jackson,Stockley ect...would have made perfectly good camp guards for a concentration camp if they hadn't gone into teaching..A good schooling in guerilla warfare but little else.
Did anyone else have any "experiences" with Mr May ?
Posted By: rover644 Re: Woodchurch High School 1967-72 - 11th Feb 2013 11:07pm
Was 'Pasty' the schools most famous ever teacher. heard about him even before I went to woody.
Posted By: Frohickey Re: Woodchurch High School - 24th Nov 2016 1:22am
I was there the same time as you
Posted By: Frohickey Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 24th Nov 2016 1:24am
Originally Posted by atw1960
I went to Woody from 72-76.Some of the teachers;
Dave Parker (games)-great bloke.
Mr Davies (science)-another smashing fella,sadly passed away a couple of years ago.
Tom Langley (maths)-total nut job or was it just an act?

The school didn't have the best reputation but I had a great time there.

I was there the same time as you.
Posted By: Dave1960 Re: Woodchurch High School, Woodchurch - 20th Sep 2018 1:09pm
was there 72-76, Miss Pugh Jones - fond memories, had Stockley (Asst Head) for maths, just used to get him talking about his hols and do no work.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral