Forums
Posted By: mikeeb 4mph speed limit over the Penny Bridge. - 23rd Jan 2021 3:43pm
4mph seem a bit ott, haha!
[Linked Image]

Nice pic of Borough Rd at junction with Wilmer Rd. Why was all the left hand side knocked down?
[Linked Image]

Some more old pics here in this recycled Echo article. Worth a little look.
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/new...tos-show-wirral-through-decades-17280522
Posted By: bert1 Re: 4mph speed limit over the Penny Bridge. - 23rd Jan 2021 4:09pm
Road widening, Borough rd.
Posted By: bert1 Re: 4mph speed limit over the Penny Bridge. - 23rd Jan 2021 4:17pm
More info,
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=274299
Posted By: Greenwood Re: 4mph speed limit over the Penny Bridge. - 23rd Jan 2021 10:01pm
When I was a child I used to hate walking over that Penny Bridge, because you could see the water between the planks of the footway. I closed my eyes and my Mum or Dad used to have to lead me across. What a wuss...!
Posted By: keef666 Re: 4mph speed limit over the Penny Bridge. - 28th Jan 2021 8:32pm
Love to know if the Penny Bridge, Bidston road and the end of the bye pass used to get flooded every time we have a drop of rain, like it does now? Progress!!!!!
Posted By: keef666 Re: 4mph speed limit over the Penny Bridge. - 28th Jan 2021 8:43pm
Well looking at these great photos from the Echo, it seems its been a problem since the 1950's?
Originally Posted by keef666
Love to know if the Penny Bridge, Bidston road and the end of the bye pass used to get flooded every time we have a drop of rain, like it does now? Progress!!!!!

The bridge didn't flood until they dammed Bidston Dock except for a very small number of times that there was a real freak tide which flooded all of the docks for very brief periods.

The entrance to the great culvert (by the mini-roundabout) had problems because of the Birket, prior to the culvert the land was pretty much swamp anyway. The land was drained and the Birket diverted/channelised in order to build the railway.

The by-pass is relatively new, iirc it was built then rebuilt after the M53 but I'm not too sure on that.

Posted By: mikeeb Re: 4mph speed limit over the Penny Bridge. - 30th Jan 2021 11:07am
I think Keef is referring to the Wallasey end of Wallasey Bridge Road, by the Liverpool Victoria Rowing Club.
As he says, like it still floods today after some heavy rainfall.
[Linked Image]
'Floods at a level crossing in Wallasey, July 1958, after a day of torrential rain. The floods extended for around 25 yards near to the Penny Bridge'
(Image: Liverpool Echo)
I take it this level crossing was just for freight, to and from the docks?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral