Forums
Posted By: Norton Local History Books - 19th Dec 2019 12:48pm
As we don't seem to have a topic for local history books, I thought I'd start one.

The latest addition to the Boumphrey range is -

'Birkenhead Tramcar Manufacturers' by RS Jones, Priced at £15.

I've not seen it in Smiths or Waterstones yet, so looking forward to getting a copy and reading about the oldest tramcar body builders in Britain.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Local History Books - 20th Dec 2019 9:17am
Last time I was in Waterstones I noticed that the 4 pub books by Ian Boumphrey were at half price - less than £5 each.
Could make an excellent Xmas present for someone
Posted By: Norton Re: Local History Books - 20th Dec 2019 12:15pm
By contrast and conspicuous by their absence, WHSmith had no Boumphrey books on the shelf at all...
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Local History Books - 20th Dec 2019 12:45pm
The shop in the Williamson Art Gallery sells new and used local history books.
Posted By: granny Re: Local History Books - 20th Dec 2019 10:36pm

Linghams in Heswall have a stock of his books. Can't say which ones though.
Posted By: Norton Re: Local History Books - 22nd Dec 2019 5:48pm
Now in stock at Waterstones in Grange Road, Birkenhead. Looks a good read with loads of facts and pictures, although I've only scanned through it so far.
Posted By: granny Re: Local History Books - 26th Feb 2020 4:41pm

Sorting through my local history books today.. trouble is it's a task that keeps on halting, due to reading them !
I have far too many on Wirral and Liverpool and will be getting rid of some . It's a shame, but I have a feeling my own family won't do anything other than bin them when the time comes.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Local History Books - 26th Feb 2020 5:10pm
Originally Posted by granny

Sorting through my local history books today.. trouble is it's a task that keeps on halting, due to reading them !
I have far too many on Wirral and Liverpool and will be getting rid of some . It's a shame, but I have a feeling my own family won't do anything other than bin them when the time comes.

I think the same about my family. They don't appear too interested in local history or family history.
Maybe something put in a will about leaving to the Archives, library, a charity shop or asking them to notify Wikiwirral ( giving them your username and password to enter) to see if anyone wants them.

Any more suggestions?
Posted By: granny Re: Local History Books - 27th Feb 2020 9:57am

That's a point Derek, I suppose we can always hope that sense overcomes insensitivity.

Some of the books , ..or quite a few.. are out of print now and it would be a great pity for others not to be able to enjoy . I think the best start would be to list them, and make sure they ( my family) understand which books are of historical interest. After that, if they have an interest they can keep them or at least give them to a new home.

N.B. Not planning on moving on just yet, but with this coronavirus lurking about , we never know !
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Local History Books - 11th May 2020 3:57pm
Are you looking to offload your books Derek and Granny?
Posted By: granny Re: Local History Books - 11th May 2020 8:17pm

Possibly some on them , Mikeeb. Not sure which ones yet though. They have moved from one place to another , collecting dust. They must be ready for another move soon.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Local History Books - 12th May 2020 12:20pm
Keep us informed Granny smile
Posted By: granny Re: Local History Books - 12th May 2020 9:23pm

Will do .
© Wirral-Wikiwirral