Forums
Posted By: CateJones Eastham Zoo/Pleasure Gardens - 9th Jun 2019 5:47pm
Hi,

I’m wondering if anyone has any more info/pictures around the Eastham Pleasure Gardens and the zoo there?

I take the dog there regularly, so have seen the bear put and fountains, and I can see what’s left of the rollercoaster.

There just seems to be very little info about it, tho I imagine there were probably posters and postcards at the time!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Eastham Zoo/Pleasure Gardens - 9th Jun 2019 6:02pm
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/364866/Eastham_Bear_Pits_Zoo.html
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Eastham Zoo/Pleasure Gardens - 10th Jun 2019 2:58am
The most pictures I've seen has been in the visitors centre which I think included a picture of the fourth fountain which is under what is now the open grassed area.

I have never seen a picture or map including the long air raid shelter that used to be beside Ferry Road in the vicinity of the houses.

I spent many hours in the 1960's searching through the woods, at that time it was pretty much unsanitized and indecipherable because of the overgrowth, there was another metal fountain bowl but the third fountain hadn't been dug out however we knew about it and its location from something I saw in Bebington central Library.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Eastham Zoo/Pleasure Gardens - 10th Jun 2019 6:47am
One of the great attractions at the gardens was Blondin (google him)
© Wirral-Wikiwirral