Forums
Posted By: locomotive Nightclub fire - 28th Apr 2019 7:28pm
Thinking back to my youth, didn't the club that's just burned down used to be the "Classic Cinema", or even the "Empire" or was that the Dance Club ( Ballroom??), it used to be opposite the Pub "the Flat Iron" that gives my age away, it was a long time ago so I can be a bit vague, stll remember the price of the Beer though.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Nightclub fire - 28th Apr 2019 10:40pm
Mersey Motor Company
Empire
Essoldo
Classic
Cannon
Carpet Warehouse
Quasar
Slice
Cannabis farm (2012)

Maybe the following clubs as well
Coliseum
Fever
Deja Vu
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: Nightclub fire - 29th Apr 2019 7:44am
I believe this cinema was called the "Super". in the 1940s and 1950s.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Nightclub fire - 29th Apr 2019 8:27am
Not sure which club burnt down, 1938 directory.

There was an Empire and Super.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: locomotive Re: Nightclub fire - 29th Apr 2019 5:36pm
as Bert says the Super was further along, away from the Town Hall
Posted By: yoller Re: Nightclub fire - 29th Apr 2019 11:12pm
Empire, circa 1965

Attached picture thumb_IMG_2211_1024.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Nightclub fire - 30th Apr 2019 9:43am
The Super cinema became the Majestic dancehall then became one of those all you can eat places which last time I looked had let the side part in Burlington St become a night club (forget name ESAU or something like that)

Attached picture Super cinema.jpg
Posted By: yoller Re: Nightclub fire - 30th Apr 2019 11:32am
In the early Sixties there was a very popular music club called the Cubik in between the Majestic (Super) and the Empire. I think it later became the California Club and probably had several other incarnations. Anyone remember it? Unfortunately, I was too young to go in there.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Nightclub fire - 30th Apr 2019 12:12pm
I remember the Cubic or Cubik, Yoller. If memory serves, downstairs in the cellar. Can't remember if I was doing a bit of underage drinking or it was an alcohol free occasion they let young whippersnappers in to.
Posted By: locomotive Re: Nightclub fire - 30th Apr 2019 6:12pm
Now my memory has been jogged, I remember the California Club. completely forgot about it..I also remember the Super being the Majestic, we used to have a few in the Flat Iron (Conway Arms) (because the beer was cheaper,) then go over to the Majestic. Oh Happy Days
Posted By: yoller Re: Nightclub fire - 2nd May 2019 11:44am
Here’s some background on the Super/ Majestic ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44435674@N00/4864022485

… and on the Empire …

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44435674@N00/2171033797/

… and some really good stuff about the Cubik (see Chapter 7) ...

http://www.cktbmm.com/CliveAliveXingu.html
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Nightclub fire - 14th May 2019 12:17pm
Not knowing which club it was on fire, I managed drive past that row of buildings and noticed that it was now a flattened piece of land where once what was to me The Empire picture house, slices and once a lazer gaming site.Other names Classic cinema, Coliseum, the Fever bar

Attached picture slices.jpg
Posted By: locomotive Re: Nightclub fire - 14th May 2019 6:58pm
Derek, you had a misspent youth didn't we
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Nightclub fire - 14th May 2019 8:04pm
By the way, I think the Majestic only sold soft drinks, saying that, some young sailors went in once and gave me and a friend loads of spirits to drink which they'd brought in and never having drunk spirits before my friend and I ended up crawling up Argyle Street South .
It was the drunkest I've ever been and only god knows how I got home. I must have been 16/17 years old
© Wirral-Wikiwirral