Forums
Posted By: GHAND Pictures of the 3 story houses in Brook Street - 24th Feb 2019 12:02am
My Mum grew up in 95 Brook Streat Birkenhead and I am desperately trying to find some old pictures of that street, they lived in a 3 story house at number 95, I think it was by where the Bluebell pub was, any old pics would be amazing.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Pictures of the 3 story houses in Brook Street - 24th Feb 2019 5:41am
No pictures of the houses,

95 Brook St (blue)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GHAND Re: Pictures of the 3 story houses in Brook Street - 24th Feb 2019 8:16pm
Thanks so much, I have a picture but it's of the other e.nd of brook street.

Attached picture DgUpRjpXcAQxRz0.jpg
There has been a Brook St topic here earlier.
May be of help to you

click
Posted By: GHAND Re: Pictures of the 3 story houses in Brook Street - 25th Feb 2019 6:31pm
I saw this, but it keeps saying I am not allowed to see the images.
I found this, and wonder if the building is one of the decentralised workhouses that were part of St Catherine's. Roll down page to bottom picture, heading 'Scattered Homes' - http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Birkenhead/

As an aside, I hadn't realised that Clatterbridge was originally a workhouse too.
I doubt the houses in Brook Street were big enough to be children's homes.
Just wondering if Cleveland, Brook and Price streets were all built about the same time as that side of Hamilton Square and possibly at the start of them had the larger houses built then.
Been trying to find the pics posted of Price Street on wiki which I think showed this.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Pictures of the 3 story houses in Brook Street - 28th Feb 2019 4:42am
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Just wondering if Cleveland, Brook and Price streets were all built about the same time as that side of Hamilton Square and possibly at the start of them had the larger houses built then.
Been trying to find the pics posted of Price Street on wiki which I think showed this.

https://wirralmemories.co.uk/wm_index.php?wm_page=wm-road-price-street-birkenhead.php
Thanks bert1
Just realised from the pics on the link you posted how close 95 Brook St was to Holy Trinity church where Price Street 3 Storey houses got as far as. Possibly same type of houses in Brook St

Attached picture Holy Trinity Price st.jpg
I always thought it was sacrilege to knock those houses in Price St down, they would have looked well if they had been done up, The council always managed to do what the Luftwaffe failed to do, they haven't changed either.
There is a book called "The Other Fella" and it's all about living in Brook Street it's a fantastic read it's about a group of kids called the Brook Street gang.
Have no pics but I grew up at 182 Brook Street...then we were all relocated late 1950s ...sorry have no pics but our name was Davies and wonder if we knew your family...Lewis, Bell, Apter, Trainer, Smith were some of the folks in 3 storey houses. WAtsonStreet was at one end and behind us was Cleveland Street and Morpeth Bldgs. Sorry don't know names of any pubs, too young! There seemed to be one on every corner though!
Originally Posted by giraffelover
Have no pics but I grew up at 182 Brook Street...then we were all relocated late 1950s ...sorry have no pics but our name was Davies and wonder if we knew your family...Lewis, Bell, Apter, Trainer, Smith were some of the folks in 3 storey houses. WAtsonStreet was at one end and behind us was Cleveland Street and Morpeth Bldgs. Sorry don't know names of any pubs, too young! There seemed to be one on every corner though!

My nan was a Davies she lived right behind the black fellas on Watson street the black fellas being on Cleveland Street corner of Watson street her name was Gwendolyn Davies until she married my grandad Michael(mick)Barron who was Irish before Watson street they lived in Somerville street.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral