Forums
Posted By: venice Clatterbridge workhouse - 4th Aug 2018 10:22am
There was a workhouse at Clatterbridge originally , and it was later used as the hospital . Looking at the photo, its supposed to be taken from near the bridge where the road crosses the river Clatter, but I cant recognize it at all? Was that building completely demolished - presumably having been behind the old main gates where the boulders are now? The part of the building on the left of the photo looks the same style as those which are still there , but nothing there now would be close enough to the road to be the original ? ( Actually this whole pinterest site has some great pics to look through)

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/421649583842909195/
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Clatterbridge workhouse - 4th Aug 2018 10:44am
Yes, the workhouse buildings have been completely demolished, however I cant tie that picture in with the Clatterbridge workhouse at all, I'm wondering if it might be the infectious diseases hospital which was at the opposite corner of the site and now also completely demolished.

Clatterbridge was massive when I was young, I'd say there are about one third of the building capacities now compared to then.

I'll include your picture here to avoid having to go through pintrest and map from around 1910 I think.

Attached picture 76ab6eb8a5860052310c76c7f1aba3c9--brighton-liverpool.jpg
Attached picture 2018-08-04_114327.jpg
Posted By: venice Re: Clatterbridge workhouse - 4th Aug 2018 4:52pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Yes, the workhouse buildings have been completely demolished, however I cant tie that picture in with the Clatterbridge workhouse at all, I'm wondering if it might be the infectious diseases hospital which was at the opposite corner of the site and now also completely demolished.

Clatterbridge was massive when I was young, I'd say there are about one third of the building capacities now compared to then.

I'll include your picture here to avoid having to go through pintrest and map from around 1910 I think.

Thanks DD. Do you mean the St Johns Hospice end of the site ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Clatterbridge workhouse - 4th Aug 2018 5:58pm
Originally Posted by venice
Thanks DD. Do you mean the St Johns Hospice end of the site ?

Yes, but I'm not even sure its that either, too many "housey" looking buildings, virtually everything at Clatterbridge was purpose built throughout the years.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral