Forums
Posted By: jeffappleyard Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 22nd Dec 2017 8:30pm
I live in North East of England,and i am 80years old & researching the "Lunts Cake Factory" that was on Hoylake Rd,Near St James Church roundabout in the mid 1950's.
I would really like to buy/copy any photos anyone has of the factory and its vans that were used to deliver to Lunts Bakers shops & also get a copy of a 1950's Street Map that shows Hoylake Rd, as it could possibly show where the Lunts Factory was located?
Fingers crossed somone can help please! Geordie
Posted By: bert1 Re: Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 23rd Dec 2017 6:34am
The image is of the 1949 Telephone Book and lists George Lunts & Sons various locations, including, Hoylake Rd.

Liverpool Library holds some information,
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/b6ebe420-079e-46a2-9f31-7832e4417238
Wirral Archives may help if contacted.

Attached picture lunt.JPG
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 23rd Dec 2017 11:07am
Originally Posted by jeffappleyard
I live in North East of England,and i am 80years old & researching the "Lunts Cake Factory" that was on Hoylake Rd,Near St James Church roundabout in the mid 1950's.
I would really like to buy/copy any photos anyone has of the factory and its vans that were used to deliver to Lunts Bakers shops & also get a copy of a 1950's Street Map that shows Hoylake Rd, as it could possibly show where the Lunts Factory was located?
Fingers crossed somone can help please! Geordie

Try Firth postcards they sometimes come up trumps for odd areas..possibly done one of St James church which may also show Lunts
Posted By: plantpot Re: Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 27th Dec 2017 10:57pm
Geordie

I have sent you a Private Message with email details
Posted By: NBSM51 Re: Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 28th Dec 2017 10:19pm
Is this the same business that became Wrights Bakery , my wife worked there in the late 50's
Posted By: bert1 Re: Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 29th Dec 2017 12:27pm
Originally Posted by NBSM51
Is this the same business that became Wrights Bakery , my wife worked there in the late 50's

Wright's Cakes Ltd,
Stanley Rd, Birkenhead.

They may have moved into Lunt's Utopia Bakery, Stanley Rd
Posted By: NBSM51 Re: Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 29th Dec 2017 3:07pm
Thanks Bert,
Wife remembers now that the entrance to Wrights was on Stanley Road, next place down Stanley was the Tapestry
Posted By: plantpot Re: Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 29th Dec 2017 7:52pm
Looks like Jeff didn't come back to read the replies.

Wonder if Wrights was another onsite bakery in Stanley Road as I know someone who worked for Lunts in 1960 she confirmed entrance on Stanley Road with the office alongside,the Gates to entrance and Yard where still there until the new houses were built, the office was used for various things including a Taxi Office and a Neighbourhood Advice Centre Around the corner opposite the church was another building where the workers spent their breaks.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 29th Dec 2017 9:00pm
I'm sure Jeff will be back at some point, I've been in touch with him in November on this topic.

What he really wants is photographs, the only thing I dug up was the TV video "Does Anybody Care - Birkenhead" which had a couple of brief takes on that area.

I have seen a few photos at some time but can't find them now.

See 3:55 and 7:18 in this video.

Posted By: bert1 Re: Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 30th Dec 2017 5:48am
Photo by. David Long.
Ford Bread Van, Lunt's Birkenhead.

Attached picture lunts.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 30th Dec 2017 7:13am
Originally Posted by NBSM51
Thanks Bert,
Wife remembers now that the entrance to Wrights was on Stanley Road, next place down Stanley was the Tapestry

It seems to me that Wright's Cakes took over the premises of Lunt's Bakery in Stanley Rd. The 1938 Directory has for Stanley Rd (image below)
Lunt's Bakery,
Harriet Boothroyd, Utopia House,
Arthur H Lee, Tapestry

The 1938 also shows Lunt's Bakery, Hoylake Rd, Moreton, corner of Rosslyn Drive, Shop?

The 1959 & 1964 Phone books has no listing for George Lunt's, Stanley Rd or Hoylake rd, only Birkett st, Liverpool.

Wright's Cakes Ltd(Stanley Rd) were taken over by Lyon's & Co in 1961 (Graces Guide)

Attached picture stan 1938.JPG
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 11th Jan 2018 5:31pm
Lunts Cake - similar to what we used to call the Captain's Pit as kids.
Posted By: jeffappleyard Re: Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 19th Jan 2018 11:35am
Originally Posted by plantpot
Geordie

I have sent you a Private Message with email details

Hi, Geordie here, sorry not sure how to open your reply, but i am still interested in anything re Lunts,
I am an 80 year OAP & noit up to speed online! Would welcome you comtacting me please.Jeff
[email protected]
Posted By: Mark Re: Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 19th Jan 2018 11:40am
A private message can be found at the top of the forum.
Click on your name to produce a drop list.
On this list you can see private messages.

If you have received a new message in the same top right of the forums you should see a a flashing envelope.
Click on the envelope flashing or not and it will take you any private messages.

Posted By: jeffappleyard Re: Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 19th Jan 2018 3:17pm
Hi Plantpot?, Geordie here, sorry old age & Docs appts etc kept me off line for a bit.
I am hoping i can get some photos of Lunts/Wrights cake bakery that used to be opposite St James Church,also of the Lunts Vans & a shop front.
We used to deliver Wrights Biscuits to Lunts Bakery& other shops in Birkenhead & i continued on my own in 1955+ when i passed my test. Fingers crossed someone can help. Jeff
Posted By: jeffappleyard Re: Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 3rd Feb 2018 2:41pm
Hi, its Geordie here & Yes, its that Factory, Lunts/Wrights cakes, Stanley Rd that i am interested in, I am looking for any photos of the Factory & also photos of the Lunts Vans please,
If you can get or copy any of the above photos i would willingley pay any costs involved, i just wish i had done this in the 1950's when i delivered to Lunts!
, Cheers,Jeff
Posted By: jeffappleyard Re: Lunts Cake Factory on Hoylake Rd. - 3rd Feb 2018 4:01pm
Hi NBSM51...alecb?
Geordie here, yes thats the same factory corner of Hoylake Rd & Stanley Rd & i am looking for any photos of Lunts/Wrights factory & and their vans & a Lunts Shop photo, fingers crossed & i wish i had done this Years & Years ago wghen i was younger & fitter ..Ha Ha. Cheers.Geordie
© Wirral-Wikiwirral