Liverpool 1775 to 1800
Olaf Stapledon
Outline Plan for the County Borough of Birkenhead 1947
Pagan Wirral - Myth and Reality
perambulation of the hundred of wirral
Rambles around the old Churches of Wirral
Smugglers of Parkgate and Heswall
The Acts of Parliament and provisional orders relating to Wallasey 1809-1899
The history and meaning of the local and river names of South-west Lancashire and of Wirral
The History of Cheshire
The history of the hundred of Wirral
The place-names of the Liverpool district; or, The history and meaning of the local and river names of South-west Lancashire and of Wirral (1898)
The Wapentake of Wirral; a history of the Royal Franchise of the Hundred and Hundred Court of Wirral 1352 to 1786
Transactions of the Historic Society of.Lancashire and Cheshire 1868
Wirral Field Names & References
Wirral in Medieval Legend

click here
Sorry seemed to have lost the link to the above
Posted By: bert1 Re: Downloadable oldwirral pdfs - 9th Oct 2017 11:53am
http://oldwirral.net/ebooks.html

is this it?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Downloadable oldwirral pdfs - 9th Oct 2017 5:17pm
Yes, thanks Bert1
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Downloadable oldwirral pdfs - 10th Oct 2017 8:45am
Awesome collection, thank you
Posted By: granny Re: Downloadable oldwirral pdfs - 10th Oct 2017 10:48am

Thanks DWC, very interesting.

I have a copy of the The Wapentake Of Wirral of which there had only been 200 copies printed. I bought a copy about 17yrs ago and paid £75 for it. Was that a stupid thing to do ? Somehow, I think the answer might be 'yes'.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Downloadable oldwirral pdfs - 13th Oct 2017 6:36pm
I would gladly give you £100 for it, but I know you would not sell.I think it is up there with The Ragged Trousered Philamprothist. I was going to approach a friend with a view to making a play of it.I kept the page from the Morton case for a reference to metal detecting on the beach. Wirral Council beware. I love the passage abut the priest moving the dying mans hand to sign the will in favour of the church.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Downloadable oldwirral pdfs - 13th Oct 2017 7:04pm
Philanthropist x 100 dear me!!
Posted By: bliplandy Re: Downloadable oldwirral pdfs - 6th Nov 2017 11:29pm
Could somebody tell me if there was a school operating in Bromborough in 1810? If not, where would boys (and girls?) get their education. Thankyou, bliplandy
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Downloadable oldwirral pdfs - 6th Nov 2017 11:54pm
Originally Posted by bliplandy
Could somebody tell me if there was a school operating in Bromborough in 1810? If not, where would boys (and girls?) get their education. Thankyou, bliplandy

Before 1870 education was not compulsory. Prior to that all sorts of private schools were set up (in some cases just a couple of kids in a front room) but the Church of England had or sponsored a lot of schools of sorts, especially after 1811.

Larger companies also had schools of sorts either as a child minding service, getting kids ready to work for them or on the job training from early ages.

But in general, the majority of the working class were probably not educated in any formal manner in that era. Richer people had teachers come in to educate their children. A few in between would get the informal private education.
Posted By: bliplandy Re: Downloadable oldwirral pdfs - 18th Nov 2017 7:08am
Thankyou for this information.

The five boys in the William Manifold family had a good sound education in English and mathematics. They would have attended the St Barnabas Anglican church, Bromborough. (Two of them who drowned in the Mersey in their teens are buried there). Is there any record of students for the above mentioned church available?
There schooling would have been over 1806 - 1827. The girls in this family could read and write, but perhaps not to the same standard as the boys.
Incidentally, the family lived at the Court House Farm, Bromborough. (I am not sure if this was the big house, or perhaps a farm cottage?)
Posted By: bert1 Re: Downloadable oldwirral pdfs - 18th Nov 2017 7:45am
Court House Farm, Bromborough, described in the 1911 census having 12 rooms plus.
Also a Google brings some results.
http://oldwirral.net/bromborough_court.html
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Downloadable oldwirral pdfs - 18th Nov 2017 5:02pm
A house that size and number of kids has a wide range of possibilities. The lads may have gone away to a boarding school or been educated at home, possibly with a residential nanny/teacher. Its less likely the girls were boarded.

There were a number of boarding schools around Chester including Kings School but proximity wasn't always the main criteria.
Posted By: bliplandy Re: Downloadable oldwirral pdfs - 25th Nov 2017 11:48pm
Court House, Bromborough.
Is there a census for 1820 - 1824 for those people residing in this house? I am trying to place the Manifold and Barnes families. Thankyou, bliplandy
Posted By: bert1 Re: Downloadable oldwirral pdfs - 26th Nov 2017 7:17am
The first census was 1801 and every ten years after, unfortunately 1801-1831 were destroyed leaving only 1841 and after having any historical value.

The Bromborough Land Tax assessments has mention of Jas(James) Manifold at Courthouse Farm in 1791 & 1796 and he appears to be renting the farm and land from James Mainwaring Esq. In later years, William Manifold and Sam Manifold also rent from James Mainwaring.

I suspect the same property as Jas, unfortunately it is only described as, Farm & Land.

Images below, Jas Manifold, Courthouse Farm

Attached picture jas manifold 1791.JPG
Attached picture manifold.JPG
Posted By: bliplandy Re: Downloadable oldwirral pdfs - 6th Dec 2017 11:36am
Thanks bertieone. All came through clearly. James was the father of William and Sam Manifold. I'm not sure if there was only one building (the big Court House building) on the farm or a second smaller farmhouse building on the site. Again, thanks for your help.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral