Forums
Posted By: Paternoster21 Historic tours of Ellesmere Port - 22nd Apr 2017 6:53am
How about this for an idea.
Walking tours of the history of Ellesmere Port. People would pay to be taken on a walking tour of the town by a guide, each member of the tour would be issued a pamphlet containing old photos of the town. As they are taken around and told the history of the area at different points they would be able to stop in the rough area that the pictures where taken and compare than and now.

Starting from the boat museum going out along dock street,mersyton street, lower mersey street, upper mersey street through the westminster estate, out on to station rd by the bridge. Down station rd under the motor way and head back to the museum.

Its just a thought but what does everybody think.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Historic tours of Ellesmere Port - 22nd Apr 2017 7:23am
Might work in Chester or York or Canterbury all of which attract visitors interested in history, but pretty unlikely in Ellesmere Port I'd have thought. Good luck with it though, if you are trying it.
Posted By: granny Re: Historic tours of Ellesmere Port - 22nd Apr 2017 9:21am
Good idea ! however I doubt it is quite so simple as that now . Firstly you would have to be registered, & possibly a CRB check .

What you could do is get in touch with Ellesmere Port and Neston Council, tourism dept. Ask if you would be allowed to do it and what you would need to do.

Good luck.

Alternatively you might be interested in training as a guide. A national qualification which may I add, is very difficult. Not that I'm saying it's not worth it, but be sure you know what is entailed. It covers everything from guides on coach trips to knowledge of everything in the whole of the area (i.e. North West for this region)

http://www.showmeliverpool.com/guides

Posted By: Paternoster21 Re: Historic tours of Ellesmere Port - 23rd Apr 2017 6:51am
Thanks guys. But the tours where not something I was thinking of running myself. I would much prefer to be taking a tour than running one. It was just an idea to see if others would be interested. I was thinking it could be run through the boat museum.
Posted By: granny Re: Historic tours of Ellesmere Port - 23rd Apr 2017 9:41am

Give it a go every step of the way, ask them and see what they say. If you don't ask ,you don't get.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Historic tours of Ellesmere Port - 23rd Apr 2017 9:57am
Ellesmere Port Local & Family History Society, produce exhibitions, do talks and produce books. I'm sure they would welcome volunteers to do more.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral