Forums
Posted By: Dave_Wood 1882 Plan of the borough of Birkenhead and Wards - 19th Mar 2017 11:57am
http://liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/birkenhead1882/
Very interesting.

I have been trying for ages to find the name of a stream which once ran from about Kingsbrook Way down past the rear of Bebington Tesco. and along Woodhey. I suspect it passes under the railway at about Bebington Rd, and passing through Port Sunlight into Bromborough Pool.

You can see where a trickle of water enters it at the side of Kingsbrook Way, it has long since gone underground and been converted to a sewer and is now probably diverted into the Sewage works Bromborough.

You can see on this map where tributaries to it came from Cavendish Park (now allotments) and the Township of Bebington.

It is tempting to assume it may have been called the Kings's brook, but I suspect that it predates the housing estate and the rather unimaginative naming of many of the roads in that area after royalty.

Any ideas about it?
Thanks for posting the link ( pity can't download the magnified view)
Interesting to see the boundary between Clifton, Grange and Argyle wards seems to follow the stream/river (the Rubicon?) that ran through the Happy Valley that later became Borough Road and ran into Tranmere Pool
Borders quite often follow streams or rivers. I guess they formed natural borders in an age when bridges (or complete culverting) was a lot rarer than both are now.

The Rubicon, when there is a heavy rainfall, often gets diverted at about where Parkend Rd joins Borough Rd. into an overflow that runs back up Borough rd to Everest Rd where it runs, deep below Everest Rd, Under the ridge and Victoria Park under St Pauls Rd and eventually runs into the Mersey from an outfall under the oil jetty. This was constructed in the 1950s to alleviate frequent flooding.
Really found the map interesting. Noticed a few names of roads i have lived in or near have changed over the years. Hawthorne road on devonshire park was wilton street, clarence road formerly known as alfred road, and birch road in oxton at the back of where i now live was called williams lane. Wonder what reason was for changing road names
Some roads were renamed to reduce duplicates.

Recently I discovered that one apparent renaming may have been a mistake on the older map so in reality it was a correction.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral