Forums
Posted By: catweazle The Monkey Steps - 8th Jul 2016 5:32pm
I have just read a post from members inquiring how the Monkey Steps got their name. As a child I lived in Hinderton Road and used to go up the steps on my way to Mersey Park School. The story we were told was about a seaman who lived, I don't know when, near the top of the steps. This seaman had at least one or maybe several monkeys, brought back from his voyages to faraway places, that would sit and play on the steps. True or not? I don't know but it would be a plausible explanation.
Posted By: granny Re: The Monkey Steps - 8th Jul 2016 8:23pm
Interesting topic and a possible explanation. Was this the one Catweazle ?

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums.../steps/Search/true/Steps.html#Post242296

Posted By: dustymclean Re: The Monkey Steps - 8th Jul 2016 8:36pm
One of my brothers lives in the Cottage (thats what its called)in the picture at the top.He throws a monkey silhouette when he has climbed the steps.Cigs and beer be warned.
Posted By: Marto_martius Re: The Monkey Steps - 11th Jul 2016 8:57pm
I have always known these steps as donkey steps, that's why the steps are long, it is easier for donkeys to use to take the load up top.
Posted By: steviebyday Re: The Monkey Steps - 7th May 2017 3:47pm
used to walk up those steps as a kid, going to see me nan in Leighton rd.
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: The Monkey Steps - 24th Sep 2017 1:06pm
I was told it was because people ascending the steps carrying bags of shopping in both hands adopted a posture like an ape when viewed from behind.
Posted By: jimbob Re: The Monkey Steps - 24th Sep 2017 3:50pm
There use to be another set of steps that ran along side the boundary Mersey Park parallel to Sidney Road and took you up to the top and came out along side that detached house between the double sets of sandstone gate posts at the end of Agnes Road. It is shown on the 1912 Ordnance survey map. From the path of wide steps you gained access to St Lukes church and also St Lukes school. As it got higher up the steps ceased and it became just a path.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Monkey Steps - 24th Sep 2017 4:54pm
Originally Posted by jimbob
There use to be another set of steps that ran along side the boundary Mersey Park parallel to Sidney Road and took you up to the top and came out along side that detached house between the double sets of sandstone gate posts at the end of Agnes Road. It is shown on the 1912 Ordnance survey map. From the path of wide steps you gained access to St Lukes church and also St Lukes school. As it got higher up the steps ceased and it became just a path.

Were the steps on the opposite side of the church to Sidney Road? I remember steps down that corner of the park but just can't place them.

There was a path up the back of the Sydney Road houses but that went when the flats were built which was prior to the church and school getting flattened.
Posted By: jimbob Re: The Monkey Steps - 24th Sep 2017 6:30pm
Steps where between the church and park, I use to walk up it as a kid in the 40s. Also cut across it when doing my paper round in the early 50s as I delivered papers to the houses in Sidney Road and some of the house I deliver to where a long terrace of houses on the side of the road
where the flats where built in the early 60s. Afraid as you can see by the years I am talking about I am an old codger.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: The Monkey Steps - 29th Sep 2017 11:08am
When I was based at HMS Dolphin the radio ops and cooks lived in a block that had been at one time stables for the RHA which were subsequently condemned for horses. They put submariners in there instead. Anyway, the approach to the mess was via ramps, for the horses to climb to their beds, which were and still are very similar to the monkey steps but a bit longer. So..... the donkey theory is pretty good, even though they were and still are the "Monkey Steps" to me.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral