Forums
Posted By: mikeeb Port sunlight village - 5th Jul 2016 2:11pm
Just been looking a link gibbo posted on another topic and did not realise that port sunlight village extended to the other side of New Chester Road to include Bolton Rd East, Shore Dr, The Anzacs and Woodhead Rd

http://nwex.co.uk/temp/portsunlight/map.jpg
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Port sunlight village - 5th Jul 2016 2:18pm
Some more interesting stuff off gibbo
http://nwex.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10459
Nice find mate
Posted By: goodoldphil Re: Port sunlight village - 5th Jul 2016 4:25pm
Just had a look at Gibbo's map of Port Sunlight and found it very interesting. I lived at the bottom of Shore Drive at No.82 on the right hand side until around 1956 and always thought it was classed as New Ferry, whereas my mother always preferred Port Sunlight as our address as she thought it sounded posher. On the map there are no houses from halfway down Shore Drive on the right hand side nor on one side of Woodhead Road and Bolton Road East.
These plots were built on by a builder who I think was called Bolton who in addition also built Lewisham Road, Graylands and Eccleshall Roads on the land adjacent to Bolton Road East in the 1930's.
The houses showing on Gibbo's map were referred to as Levers houses as their tenants all worked for Lever Bros. and were built considerably earlier. The Bolton houses were built in blocks of 4 or semidetached. In the early 1940's the semis commanded a rent of £1 and were known as the pound houses while the terraced ones cost 80 pence per week.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Port sunlight village - 5th Jul 2016 8:40pm
Originally Posted by goodoldphil
Just had a look at Gibbo's map of Port Sunlight and found it very interesting. I lived at the bottom of Shore Drive at No.82 on the right hand side until around 1956 and always thought it was classed as New Ferry, whereas my mother always preferred Port Sunlight as our address as she thought it sounded posher. On the map there are no houses from halfway down Shore Drive on the right hand side nor on one side of Woodhead Road and Bolton Road East.
These plots were built on by a builder who I think was called Bolton who in addition also built Lewisham Road, Graylands and Eccleshall Roads on the land adjacent to Bolton Road East in the 1930's.
The houses showing on Gibbo's map were referred to as Levers houses as their tenants all worked for Lever Bros. and were built considerably earlier. The Bolton houses were built in blocks of 4 or semidetached. In the early 1940's the semis commanded a rent of £1 and were known as the pound houses while the terraced ones cost 80 pence per week.

Excellent, thanks for sharing thumbsup
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Port sunlight village - 6th Jul 2016 7:50am
Cracking bit of info phil
You can now say that your mother was right wink
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Port sunlight village - 6th Jul 2016 12:43pm
Many claim to live in the village . Past the brown cow or the other side of new chester road . But ask any local and they will say that is not the village .
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Port sunlight village - 6th Jul 2016 2:25pm
But the map shows that on the other side of new Chester rd the houses are part of the village
Not the brown cow though as it shows no houses on the other side of the railway
Look at them on google earth and the are distinct in character
© Wirral-Wikiwirral