Forums
Posted By: palemoon Sparky - 15th Dec 2015 10:20am
Only the very old will be able to throw any light on this question oldman .
Does anyone remember Sparky? He was on the radio, or should I say wireless, when I was a kid. I'm not sure if it was a program or just a song and he spoke with tinny sort of mechanical voice. My mate and myself remember him but we are at a loss to know who,or what,he was.
Posted By: Habdab Re: Sparky - 15th Dec 2015 10:44am
Are you thinking about this Sparky?

Sparky And The Talking Train (1947)
Sparky's Magic Piano (recorded in Hollywood, October 1947; released 1948
Sparky's Music Mix-up (1949)
Sparky's Magic Echo (1952)
Sparky's Magic Baton (1954)
There was also a song, "Do you believe in Santa Claus?" / "I don't want a lot for Christmas" (1950)

Oh and thanks for making me "Very Old"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparky%27s_Magic_Piano
Posted By: joney Re: Sparky - 15th Dec 2015 10:46am
It was a record called Sparky and his magic piano on which a small boy who found it difficult to play talked to his piano and the piano replied in a tinny semi musical voice and when the boy put his fingers to the keys marvelous music flowed. PS, Who are you calling old I'm only 84.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Sparky - 15th Dec 2015 10:48am
Any help here,

http://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/children/Big-Jon-and-Sparkie
Posted By: bert1 Re: Sparky - 15th Dec 2015 10:54am
http://www.wecollect2.com/Sparky's%20Magic%20Piano.htm

Copy and paste
Posted By: venice Re: Sparky - 15th Dec 2015 11:40am
Dont worry Habdab, you wouldnt have to be much too much beyond 60 to remember these records . Still youthful!
Posted By: rossie Re: Sparky - 15th Dec 2015 12:10pm
Don't forget Sparky was the dragon in Torchy the battery boy. !!!!
Posted By: palemoon Re: Sparky - 15th Dec 2015 5:21pm
Thanks for the replies, folks. It was the magic piano, we were thinking of.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Sparky - 15th Dec 2015 6:11pm
Comparison of the 1940's and 1987 animated version ....

Posted By: stanb Re: Sparky - 15th Dec 2015 6:12pm
Big Jon and Sparkie.1950S Saturday radio show.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Sparky - 15th Dec 2015 7:33pm
Very old? The cheek of that! <snert> I had piano lessons inflicted on me from age 5 to 9. I reached Grade 3 then my mother fell ill - not as a result of my playing I hasten to add - and I had to stop. I have the sheet music for Sparky's Magic Piano somewhere...
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Sparky - 15th Dec 2015 8:08pm
I`ll just leave this here grin
[youtube]s3etiNLAFi0[/youtube]
Posted By: palemoon Re: Sparky - 15th Dec 2015 8:18pm
By Jingo, this brought back a few memories. There are a lot people on here shamelessly giving their ages away.
Posted By: yoller Re: Sparky - 16th Dec 2015 1:14am
Sparky and the Magic Piano used to be played virtually every week on the Uncle Mac children's show on BBC radio on Saturday mornings in the 1950s. I'd like to say what an innocent, enjoyable experience that programme was. However, with the benefit of 60 years of hindsight, I'm happy to say I haven't changed my opinion - it was rubbish.
Posted By: joney Re: Sparky - 16th Dec 2015 10:53am
The pianist certainly could play.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Sparky - 16th Dec 2015 11:12am
I remember Uncle Mac. He fought a losing battle against a rising tide of pop music requests using Spark's magic piano, the Laughing Policeman and various other 'acceptable' music. I once heard him lecturing someone for referring to children as 'kids'. "Kids are young goats, not children!" he declared.

He used to finish his broadcasts with the words "Goodbye children... Everywhere". His career came to an untimely end when he added the words "You little b*s*t*r*s". believing the microphone was dead. It wasn't, and a million children asked their scandalised mummies what a b****** was! Sadly I missed this event.

In his defence, he had been badly injured in the war, and was in constant pain, so perhaps one might forgive him for being a bit grouchy. As I child I remember rather liking his irritability.
Posted By: granny Re: Sparky - 16th Dec 2015 10:13pm
Still have Sparky's Magic Piano on 33 1/3 rpm. Used to love it as a child. Handed down from the previous generation. Got nothing to play it on now. Sounded pretty crackly, back in the day. laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral