Forums
Posted By: amaterasu Old Confectionary Receipts and Paper Ephemera - 8th Sep 2015 10:49am
I have come across a number of old receipts and correspondence from confectioners such as Cadbury and Fry's and someone by the name of Mr Garnett of 164 Poulton Rd, Wallasey all dated between 1917 and 1919.It would appear that Mr Garnett was himself a confectioner.

If you are interested in local history and would like these items please contact me and arrange to collect them.

First to ask can have them.
Give them to the Wirral Archive so they then become an accessible part of Wirral's heritage.

I will pick them up and take them there if you want.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Old Confectionary Receipts and Paper Ephemera - 8th Sep 2015 1:01pm
A very kind offer and I hope someone with an interest in Wallasey history takes them off you.

The 1911 census for 164 Poulton Rd has head of the household, James Walter Garnett, Station Master, it's his 28 year old daughter, Margaret Eleanor Garnett who is recorded as confectioner.

Oh that is interesting Bert1! Thanks for that info. I wonder if she might have gone by the name Nellie (Eleanor) - included in the lot is a pencil written note to a Nellie from a soldier in Ontario Military Hospital dated 1917 ...and on the back is a scribbled confectionary shopping list laugh

diggingdeeper that is a great idea - and very kind of you if you wouldn't mind. PM for my address.

Posted By: bert1 Re: Old Confectionary Receipts and Paper Ephemera - 8th Sep 2015 2:29pm
The wife is Margaret Ellen Garnett, likely to be Nellie, could be either one. Any name for the soldier?
No Bert, sadly it is only the first page of the letter, the rest is missing.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Old Confectionary Receipts and Paper Ephemera - 8th Sep 2015 3:39pm
Pity, we'll never know. What was the flavour of the page, letter to sweetheart or sister perhaps?

James Oswald Garnett (son) born 1883, worked for the London & North Western railways, served in the Royal Engineers, WW1, sub unit, Railways. Thankfully he survived the war and died 1949.
It could be to a sister I suppose, it isn't remotely romantic.

It reads :-

Dear Nellie,

just a line to let you know that I know you are still alive, although I don't think it is my turn.
Are you fairly busy now or are things pretty slack?
I guess I will be here for a while by the looks of things unless something crops up. I have been trying for leave but will not get it till I leave here. If a fellow gets sent back to Canada they only give them a four or 5 days leave and sometimes not that.
But as I don't expect to go back I guess I will get my ten days some time or other.

Pity there isn't more of the letter. There is a pressed mark to the head of the letter from Canada Military Hospital, Orpington.
Your PM box is full frown
Posted By: bert1 Re: Old Confectionary Receipts and Paper Ephemera - 8th Sep 2015 8:54pm
amaterasu,

I think the letter is off a Canadian soldier, with mentioning getting sent back home. The Canadian Military Hospital, Orpington, was in Kent, England.
I have no idea why my inbox would be full ...I'm Billy Nomates!
I only noticed the Orpington stamp when I typed out the letter. Such a shame I don't have other pages frown
Picked these up today and have scanned them, about 67 images. Spoke to the archives today who sounded really enthusiastic to have them so will be taking them there either Thursday morning or Friday.

Some interesting bits and pieces, mentions of WW1 rationing and receipts from quite a few companies.

Thanks to amaterasu for passing these on and not just chucking them thumbsup
Posted By: NBSM51 Re: Old Confectionary Receipts and Paper Ephemera - 12th Sep 2015 7:58pm
As I sit here in The USA,
I am so happy to know that these articles were not trashed, having lived next to a
Garnett family living off of
Field Road New Brighton for 30 years, I read the posting with great interest.
Thanks Amaterasu
Documents were placed in the Wirral Archive yesterday, accession number 2226.

Cost me a fortune, went in with a few papers, came out with arms full of books thumbsup
© Wirral-Wikiwirral