Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Themed Wirral Road Names - 6th Jun 2015 1:32am
There are quite a lot of these around but I'd be interested in the ones I'm not familiar with.

To kick it off.

The Poets in Rock Ferry (Tennyson, Shakespeare, Kipling, Wordsworth and Ruskin).

The Prime Ministers by Birkenhead Park (Morley, Churchill, Lloyd, Curzon, Hartington and Asquith)

The River Streets [as was] (Alwen, Avon, Brenig, Ribble, Severn, Shannon, Solway, Tees, Tweed, Tyne)

Classic architecture in Rock Ferry (Corinthian Ionic, Gothic and Doric)

Flowers in Claughton (Shamrock, Crocus, Speedwell, Primrose, Iris, Bluebell, Snowdrop, Daffodil, Woodsorrel, Tulip, Violet and Valerian)

Hills in Prenton (Mendip, Clee, Cotswold, Brecon, Chiltern, Pennine, Ben Nevis and Snowdon)
Posted By: Dilly Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 6th Jun 2015 7:31am
St Paul road Seacombe has Luke St, James St, and Peter St that run off it.
Posted By: granny Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 6th Jun 2015 7:58am
One point, did Claughton take the names from flowers, or from the ferry boats, or maybe the ferry boats took their names from Claughton ?
Birkenhead used local place names such as Woodchurch and Claughton, and Wallasey used flowers, such as Violet 1883,Crocus 1884,Snowdrop 1885...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 6th Jun 2015 8:15am
I know the Vikings had a huge settlement in thingwall, "thing" means meeting place, and therefore got its name after enclosing themselves in by building a wall. Thingwall....
Posted By: granny Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 6th Jun 2015 8:36am
West Kirby..... Monk's Way, Priory Road, Rectum Road, Church Road, Abbey Road.
Posted By: PlasticScouser Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 6th Jun 2015 8:48am
Noctorum - Lake District lake names. Windermere, Thirlmere, Grassmere, Rydal, Coniston etc
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 6th Jun 2015 9:12am
leasowe, explorers
shackleton road
grant road,
hudson road
livingstone road
baffin close
raleigh road
frobisher road
cook road
drake road
maybe more.....
Posted By: yoller Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 6th Jun 2015 9:41am
They're not themed names as such, but many streets in Birkenhead were named after prominent men who had played a part in the development of the town in the 19th century - Laird, Price, Cleveland, Brassey, Hind, Jackson, etc. In other cases, people who had originally bought the land in a particular area had a street named after them. Virtually all of the land originally belonged to the Lord of the Manor, Francis Price.
Posted By: petethebike Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 6th Jun 2015 11:11am
In Seacombe,probably long since gone,battles and scenes there of;- Bosnia ,Alma,and I seem to recall Sevastopol.
Also some after European cities;- Geneva,Lucerne and Naples roads.
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 6th Jun 2015 11:20am
Originally Posted by granny
West Kirby..... Monk's Way, Priory Road, Rectum Road, Church Road, Abbey Road.

Rectum Road ??
Posted By: chriskay Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 6th Jun 2015 12:13pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

Hills in Prenton (Mendip, Clee, Cotswold, Brecon, Chiltern, Pennine, Ben Nevis and Snowdon)

I think we need to separate the roads of the post-war Mount Estate, centred on the ancient Mount Rd. (oh, you missed out Cheviot), from the older, 1926, Tranmere Hall Estate: Ben Nevis, where I spent my childhood, Snowdon, Ingleborough and Malvern. On this estate, the East/West roads are Everest, Mallory and Irvine.
The Mount Estate may be Prenton, although some would call it Higher Tranmere: Tranmere Hall Estate is definitely Tranmere, not Prenton.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 6th Jun 2015 12:30pm
The roads off Thornton Rd, which runs from the top of the Lever Causeway to Borough Rd. Thornton Rd. presumably because it led to Thornton Hough via the causeway. Off this there's Thornton, Gayton, Heswall and Brimstage Avenues, and Raby Grove. The only odd one is Harley Avenue; was that the name of the developer?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 6th Jun 2015 12:49pm
Curzon, Lloyd, Hartington, Asquith, Morley and Churchill. All Avenues off Park Road North. And then he reread the posts and saw that they'd all been mentioned before, doh!
Posted By: inatimate1 Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 6th Jun 2015 2:52pm
I started a thread looking for these well over a year ago. leasowe has roads off Reeds Lane named after famous Racecourses, probably due to the horse racing links with the old racecourse that was there...

EPSOM, Newbury, Aintree, Goodwood and Cheltenham.

Not to mention the Rugby links by the Rugby Club as well...

Twickenham & Murrayfield for grounds, and Blackheath after the oldest known club in the world.
Posted By: granny Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 6th Jun 2015 6:15pm
ZigZag.....was just wondering if everyone was awake . laugh

Inatimate 1, I remember your thread. Did you find anymore out about De Grouchy Street?
Posted By: goodoldphil Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 6th Jun 2015 11:35pm
Mill park estate in Eastham has themed road names of Cheshire villages, namely Delamere, Willington, Kelsall, Kingsley,Ince, and Picton Avenues, Tarvin Road and Stoke and Stanney Closes. Two lake district avenues Ennerdale and Crossthwaite also a few odd ones that I have no idea about. smile
Posted By: lonrock Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 7th Jun 2015 1:39am
There's a series of roads off Eleanor Road in Bidston, named after cricket players and grounds: Brearley Close, Statham Road, Washbrook Avenue, Cowdrey Avenue, Edrich Avenue, Lords Avenue, Edgbaston Way, Trueman Close. However, one of the streets is incorrectly named; "Lillie Close", named after Aussie fast bowler Dennis Lillee.
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 7th Jun 2015 8:54am
Very interesting read ,this thread .
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 7th Jun 2015 11:00am
Some new ones on me there.

@Chriskay - I was anticipating a revolt about combining the hills and mountains.

@Inanimate1 - I had forgotten about your thread but they are a different aspects, I was just interested in groups of names, not the history of the source.

Thanks to everyone so far.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 7th Jun 2015 12:25pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

@Chriskay - I was anticipating a revolt about combining the hills and mountains.

In fact, my only complaint was describing the roads of Tranmere Hall Estate as Prenton.
This jars with me, since my mother used to say we lived in Prenton (because it was posher than Tranmere). Historically, Tranmere extended to Woodchurch Rd. and Storeton Rd. Anyway, most of Birkenhead is Prenton nowadays, thanks to the Post Office.
Here's a map from Sidelights on Tranmere, by J.E.Allison.

Attached picture Tranmere.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 7th Jun 2015 3:56pm
Originally Posted by inatimate1
I started a thread looking for these well over a year ago. leasowe has roads off Reeds Lane named after famous Racecourses, probably due to the horse racing links with the old racecourse that was there...

EPSOM, Newbury, Aintree, Goodwood and Cheltenham.

Not to mention the Rugby links by the Rugby Club as well...

Twickenham & Murrayfield for grounds, and Blackheath after the oldest known club in the world.

click me
Hope that helps
Posted By: inatimate1 Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 7th Jun 2015 5:28pm
I didn't to be honest, I'd got hold of a cheap A to Z of Wirral roads and started to alphabetise them by town, but someone threw away a good couple of weeks of work. I've since moved on to pubs now. The rate they are closing I feel it would be good for future years to try and get a few pictures of local haunts from the outside and hopefully the inside (although I know a lot of landlords might be reluctant for that to happen as it could be a security issue), and hopefully some pictures of the regulars from there as well.

Away from road names though, but still on naming, I am intrigued to find out why the Queensway Tunnel and the Kingsway Tunnel are named as such, seeing as the former was opened by a King and the latter by a Queen
Posted By: yoller Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 7th Jun 2015 8:14pm
The Birkenhead tunnel, opened in 1934 by King George V, is officially called Queensway. But years ago, the Birkenhead entrance was known as Queensway and the Liverpool entrance as Kingsway.

Calling the Liverpool entrance Kingsway seems to have been abandoned when the Wallasey Tunnel was opened by the Queen in 1971 with the name of Kingsway.

Yes, I'm confused as well.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 7th Jun 2015 10:16pm
In 1934 when the Birkenhead tunnel was opened by king George V he was accompanied by his wife, queen Mary. It's after her that the tunnel is named.
It's thought that when the present queen opened the Wallasey tunnel, she was naming it after her father, George VI, but I don't know if that's true.
Anyway, if you've already got a Queensway, I suppose it's logical to have a Kingsway.
Posted By: Cobby Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 8th Jun 2015 12:51pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
It's thought that when the present queen opened the Wallasey tunnel, she was naming it after her father, George VI, but I don't know if that's true.

This is certainly what we were told at the time. I was in the girl guides, we were part of the guard of honour lining the road as the royal entourage emerged from the tunnel, having driven through from Liverpool. 2 hours stood in blazing sunshine in a concrete canyon (we were near the Wheatland Lane bridge), there were a fair few kids hit the deck with heat exhaustion! Just about managed to see a gloved hand giving the "royal wave" as they drove past
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 8th Jun 2015 1:44pm
When the first Mersey Tunnel was opened as Queensway, to keep the King happy the sections of Dale Street and Manchester Street adjoining the entrance in Liverpool had the designation Kingsway added to their names, and the entrance was officially known as the Kingsway Entrance. In Birkenhead the area in front of the tunnel entrance was officially named King's Square, so we had the King's Square Entrance.

We still have the King's Square Entrance on this side, but the name Kingsway was eventually dropped on the Liverpool side to avoid confusion with the new Kingsway Tunnel to Wallasey. The section of Manchester Street next to the Liverpool end of the tunnel has now been incorporated into Old Haymarket, and the old tunnel entrance officially seems to be either the the Old Haymarket Entrance or simply the Queensway Entrance. This change appears to have been fairly recent as I clearly remember the Manchester Street (Kingsway) sign still being visible when I first started going over to Liverpool regularly around about fifteen years ago, and the earliest A-Z I can find in which Manchester Street has been renamed Old Haymarket is from 2005.

Any clearer?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 9th Jun 2015 5:57am
1938 Directory.

Attached picture kingsway.JPG
Posted By: Habdab Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 10th Jun 2015 8:04am
There are roads in Moreton with a Girls name theme, mostly all running off Hoylake road between the cross and Meols.
Rosslyn Drive
Susan Grove
Joan Avenue
Francis Avenue
Doreen Avenue
some of which join onto Douglas Drive and Ely Avenue.
There's also a Marian Drive and a Gabrriel close but they're situated off the main group
Posted By: Habdab Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 10th Jun 2015 8:15am
On the Horse theme there are racehorse name plaques attached to the front of some of the buildings on Moreton Cross that form the bend between Hoylake road and Upton road. I heard the original owner was a race horse keeper and mounted the plaques to commemorate his horses.
You may find some have been painted over, but if you look carefully, they're still there.
Posted By: AR_One Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 10th Jun 2015 9:27am
Couple more:

The roads around Broadway in Bebington have "regal" names:

Kings Lane
Kings Road
Princes Boulevard
Earlsway
Dukesway (might of imagined that one!)
Regents way
etc

At the end of Town lane near the oval there's two:
Tree names:
Beech, Ash, Oak, Elm road

and I also think that there's a Shakespear them going on:

Juliet Av
Portia Av
Beatrice Av (?)
Posted By: Kylix Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 10th Jun 2015 4:21pm
Roads off Brookhurst Avenue in Bromborough have a golf Course theme.
Birkdale
Troon
Wentworth
Fairhaven
Sunningdale
Sandiway
Ainsdale.

Posted By: Greenwood Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 10th Jun 2015 9:59pm
And, naturally enough, the old RAF estate at the Frankby end of Greasby has roads named after RAF bases - Hendon, Kinloss, Abingdon, Halton, Cranwell, Martlesham.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 11th Jun 2015 12:06am
Originally Posted by Greenwood
And, naturally enough, the old RAF estate at the Frankby end of Greasby has roads named after RAF bases - Hendon, Kinloss, Abingdon, Halton, Cranwell, Martlesham.

I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that group, I knew more than half of the Pump Lane estate at one time.

I'll add the Park's Roads off Borough Road, Birkenhead - Parkbridge, Parkstone, Parkhill, Parkend, Edenpark, Highpark, Prentonpark, Parkhurst
Posted By: yoller Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 11th Jun 2015 2:25pm
In 1863, a developer called Hughes built rows of houses off Blackpool Street / Waterloo Place, Birkenhead, giving the streets Welsh names - Gresford Terrace, Wrexham Street, Ruabon Street, Wynnstay Street, Ruthin Street, Denbigh Street, Cymru Street. These were demolished by the turn of the century and the area became part of the gasworks.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 11th Jun 2015 6:25pm
In Tranmere there is Well Lane {there was a well at the bottom end of it in years gone by. In higher Tranmere there was Mill Street { there was a wind mill at the top end of it at the junction with church Road. The odd one is Mill Hill which is runs into Talbot road in Oxton. But no mention of a mill near by when you search the history of Oxton village and the surrounding area.
Posted By: alwil1960 Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 11th Jun 2015 7:46pm
There are a few farming related names on the Woodchurch ;
Glebe Hey Road
New Hey Road
Carr Bridge Road

And in Upton :
Rake Lane (and I think -Salacre Lane , but will have to check )
Posted By: yoller Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 12th Jun 2015 8:22am
There are many Scottish-themed roads, drives, closes and avenues in the Brookhurst Avenue / Plymyard Avenue area of Bromborough - including Duncansby, Nairn, Kintore, Turiff, Portree, Banff, Argyll, Sutherland, Airdrie, Rothesay, Selkirk, Grampian, Renfrew, Athol and Paisley.
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 14th Jun 2015 11:15pm
I was always lead to believe the shops around Moreton Cross with the horse names on were built by a successful local jockey called Frank "Titch" Mason (1879 - 1959) They are the names of some the horses he won races on. He won the 1905 Grand National on a horse called "Kirkland" (I think he also came second in the national as well sometime before that). There is a bungalow in Pasture Road that used to be called "Kirkland" after his winning horse in 1905 (until a few years ago it was a kennels and I am told there are horse shoes built into the fence around the house).
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 14th Jun 2015 11:37pm
Oops !!! Just had a phone call off a 'Mate wot knows' (does he never sleep?) Who tells me that the big house on the opposite side of Pasture Road (and the opposite side of the Birket) was the house Frank Mason lived in and called 'Kirkland' he didn't move into the Bungalow until his later life (although my 'Mate wot knows', tells me he 'thinks' it was the bungalow that had the horseshoe wall). He also tells me the house (not the bungalow) was built by a famous aviator, although he has no idea who the famous aviator was!!!
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 14th Jun 2015 11:44pm
Borrowdale Road in Moreton was once called Churchhill Road (because it lead to the church (chapel) on the hill that Overchurch Road also lead to. The road was renamed when the developer that owned and built No 118 built the properties in St Kilda’s road, Ambleside Avenue, Raby Drive, Burrell Drive, Briscoe Drive and Cartmel Drive. (lakes themed?)
Posted By: joney Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 15th Jun 2015 10:28am
It's interesting what you say jimbob because I remember going into the gardens of a pub during the war after it had been bombed and seeing a big mill wheel there. I cant remember the name of the pub but it was on Talbot road just around the corner from Gerald road.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Themed Wirral Road Names - 15th Jun 2015 11:37am
Originally Posted by joney
It's interesting what you say jimbob because I remember going into the gardens of a pub during the war after it had been bombed and seeing a big mill wheel there. I cant remember the name of the pub but it was on Talbot road just around the corner from Gerald road.

That would have been the Caernarvon Castle pub, quite a long way from Mill Hill. Jimbob: Mill Hill would have been a good site for a windmill but I can't find any evidence either.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral