Forums
Posted By: AdamEvans Egerton Park Old Photos - 1st Sep 2014 8:09pm
Hi there

I was wondering if anyone can help me out

I have a friend who lives in Egerton Park and have a damp wall, the insurance are telling her that the wall that is damp is NOT an external wall but we know it is.

This is the building now

[Linked Image]

This is the building back in the good old days !!
[Linked Image]

As we can see there has been an extension added later.
Any better photos would be greatly appreciated, also we would love to see more of what it looked like back in the 19th and Early 20th Century

It is the Byrne Ave end if this helps anyone at all

Thanks in advance people
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Egerton Park Old Photos - 2nd Sep 2014 8:37am
I'm intrigued, I take it from your statement that the wall you are referrung to is now an internal wall by virtue of the extension? Surely the fact this has happened bears no relivance to the fact that damp is present. Just because an extension has been added would not reduce the risk of water entering any potential cavities, in fact an extension could be the potential cause of the problem if the abutments are not correctly flashed or if the seals have failed. I'm no expert but do have a little knowledge of building construction. I dont understand how insurance inspectors can possibly miss the obvious at times. Good luck processing the claim.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Egerton Park Old Photos - 2nd Sep 2014 9:34am
I agree with GeeMeister. The original building would have had solid walls with a slate damp course. If there has been movement which has broken that damp course, then you could have rising damp. You don't say where the wall is damp; if the damp is low on the wall, it's likely rising damp; if it's high on the wall, it's probably coming from above, as GeeMeister suggests. Showing your picture to the insurance company should convince them.
Posted By: casper Re: Egerton Park Old Photos - 2nd Sep 2014 9:36am
Another get out for the Insurance brigade, they usually have some obscure or the usual poorly maintained excuse for not paying. mad
Posted By: Kev30x Re: Egerton Park Old Photos - 2nd Sep 2014 2:19pm
[Linked Image]

Egerton Park 1904

Can just make out the corner of your friends wall, Adam. smile
Posted By: starakita Re: Egerton Park Old Photos - 2nd Sep 2014 5:07pm
I live on the Dacre hill estate not far from Egerton Park & most of the houses on there which were built after these properties suffer from damp.
Posted By: AdamEvans Re: Egerton Park Old Photos - 3rd Sep 2014 8:02pm
Thanks for all of the advice people

I think it shouldn't matter, but just in case it did we wanted to hit the insurance company with everything at once to avoid them wriggling out !

We were more interested in old photos after a conversation and a few bottles of wine !!

I can only find the ones that I have uploaded so far.

Wasn't Birkenhead so beautiful in the black and white days.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral