Forums
Posted By: venice Fond memories of 'in' pubs! - 3rd Feb 2014 1:40pm
Yin Yangs comment below, led my memory from school playground to my late teens!

Quote "All street games seemed to be ruled by undefinable seasons. One day everyone would be playing one game, then next day - for no obvious reason - we all switched to something else. [/quote]

Bit like the pubs when youre in your late teens . One minute the 'in' place would be one particular pub that everyone congregated at, and then suddenly for no apparent reason and to the fear and chagrin of the manager, it would fall out of favour and become dead as a dodo, and another pub took its profitable place.

"The Union" on Parkgate front was hub of teen-age brashness in my day --then it died overnight as everyone moved to The Green Bottle ,and struggled to recover . It lost its character and later changed its name to "The Ship" .

So where was the 'in' place when you became of age?

Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Fond memories of 'in' pubs! - 3rd Feb 2014 7:36pm
My place was The Black Horse on Church Rd, Hr Tranmere, that is until I was barred frown After that it was The Sportsman's just up the road. Then when I could drive I travelled further afield to the new pub-discos that popped up all over the place, such as The Twilight Cafe (at The Royal Oak, Bromborough) and Paradise Park (at The Pensby Hotel).

Clubs I frequented were Leighton Court and Westwood Grange. I once tried The Sir James (under duress) and never went back, it was a dreadful place!
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Fond memories of 'in' pubs! - 3rd Feb 2014 8:02pm
i wonder if i know you elizabeth, some of your haunts were also mine, i can also add bakers arms, grapes hotel, north star,dock hotel.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Fond memories of 'in' pubs! - 3rd Feb 2014 8:49pm
It's possible Sunnyside, I think you also mentioned you worked at the Royal Oak years ago ? I'll bet I know you by sight
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Fond memories of 'in' pubs! - 3rd Feb 2014 9:32pm
i was at the royal oak around 1978 i went to acre lane school
Posted By: rover644 Re: Fond memories of 'in' pubs! - 3rd Feb 2014 9:34pm
I remember queuing up to get in the Arrowe park, early 90s
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Fond memories of 'in' pubs! - 3rd Feb 2014 9:53pm
Originally Posted by sunnyside
i was at the royal oak around 1978 i went to acre lane school

I don't think I'd been to the Oak then, I left school in 78 so my haunt would have been the Black Horse at that time. I think I began going to the Oak around 1981-82 ish.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Fond memories of 'in' pubs! - 3rd Feb 2014 9:57pm
I remember also going to The Admiral's Inn which was part of the now demolished Parkgate Hotel. That place used to get sooo busy. There seemed to be so many really good places to choose from back in the 80's.
Also, the Milton was a favourite when it was trendy, and the Argyle and Sutherland in Eastham too. I think that was where I had my first ever taste of pizza sitting around what they called 'the drum'. The delish smell from that place was amazing smile
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Fond memories of 'in' pubs! - 4th Feb 2014 7:47pm
remember trying to impress one or 2 girlfriends by dining at Berni Inns (Pierhead and New Brighton i seem to recall)--putting on a brave face as you sipped a coffee with whisky and cream on top. Didnt marry either so they couldnt have been that impressed
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Fond memories of 'in' pubs! - 4th Feb 2014 8:34pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
remember trying to impress one or 2 girlfriends by dining at Berni Inns (Pierhead and New Brighton i seem to recall)--putting on a brave face as you sipped a coffee with whisky and cream on top. Didnt marry either so they couldnt have been that impressed

Oh Yes, Bernie Inns were really posh back in the day smile
Posted By: bigpete Re: Fond memories of 'in' pubs! - 12th Feb 2014 5:40am
The Chelsea Reach - a couple of horrifying times - full of lecherous 40somethings (of both sexes) looking for fresh meat -aargh!

Yeh - Black Horse for me @1981 and the Prenton Hotel...
Posted By: Heswall1958 Re: Fond memories of 'in' pubs! - 8th Mar 2014 1:28pm
I went to the Tavern in New Brighton - never again. I was very niave...........
© Wirral-Wikiwirral