Forums
Posted By: davew3 Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 19th Jan 2014 10:55am
English Heritage web site www.britainfromabove.org.uk has some new photos of the area, by searching on Wirral you get some good photos, of the RAF base West Kirby and the Army site Upton plus some nice ones of New Brighton, also have a look at Burtonwood, the aircraft getting scrapped.

My favourite.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw001712?search=wirral&ref=192
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 19th Jan 2014 11:50am
Thanks for the link.
Posted By: Blueskier Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 19th Jan 2014 6:01pm
Love the ones of New Brighton before the dips and the reclaimed land. Nature wanted it back recently.
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw045204
Posted By: davew3 Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 19th Jan 2014 6:30pm
If you take a closer look they are making the dips in that picture
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 19th Jan 2014 7:29pm
What splendid piers they were. Removed because they were declared unsafe. They still had to blow them up to remove them!
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 19th Jan 2014 7:33pm
Brilliant pics! Thanks for posting the link.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 20th Jan 2014 10:55pm
Had a great time looking at the 1946 photo's, the air raid shelters in Birkenhead park, the anti aircraft gunsite in Heron lane, the wood yard where Birkenhead police station opposite the town hall was to be built, still trawling though them.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 21st Jan 2014 11:46am
I like this one, the gardens around the tower look like they had some great things in.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw004047
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 21st Jan 2014 12:31pm
A great absorber of time. Love it happy
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 21st Jan 2014 3:29pm
Agreed; I can spend hours on this site.
Posted By: NettyMc Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 23rd Jan 2014 10:54am
Amazing photos of Birkenhead Docks and shipyards. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: 335steve Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 23rd Jan 2014 11:22am
Fantastic site, thanks for the link
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 23rd Jan 2014 4:52pm
A great site-thanks for putting it up
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 24th Jan 2014 2:34pm
[Linked Image]

Cammell lairds
Don't know the year

[Linked Image]

What is that building next to the flour mills on Wallasey dock road?
Posted By: davew3 Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 24th Jan 2014 10:44pm
Think the top pic is around the 1930s as two things the big boat could be the Mauritania and the aircraft carrier could be the Ark Royal, the housing looks like the "courts" type flats, the petrol station on the a41 looks like an old 30s pic I've seen of the same, can't see what you mean on the other picture as the cream building was a flour mill with a walkway connected to the old buildings, the shipping parked up suggests it's the 70s when containers started up as all the ships look laid up and are cargo boats.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 25th Jan 2014 9:31pm
did not see the walkway
the building looks newer. what happened to it?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 25th Jan 2014 9:55pm
The Lairds picture is later than 1933; the Woodside ventilation tower for the tunnel wasn't built until then. Actually, it looks a bit fuzzy; maybe it has scaffolding on it.
Posted By: davidj47 Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 26th Jan 2014 7:47am
Lower photo of Birkenhead docks is early/mid 1960's.

The admin/canteen block at Blue Funnel's Vittoria Dock , towards right end of long sheds at bottom, is still under construction.

Probably taken on a Sunday, as the ships do not appear to be working cargo and a Blue Funnel ship is swinging in the river off the locks ready to enter for loading on the monday morning.

Posted By: yoller Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 26th Jan 2014 10:05am
I think davew3 and chriskay are right about the Lairds picture. The Ark Royal was launched in July 1937 and is probably seen here being fitted out.

If the big ship on the stocks is the Mauretania, that was launched in April 1938. So that would place the picture sometime between those dates - probably nearer 1937.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 26th Jan 2014 11:30pm
Mauretania was launched in July 1938 not April, and in the photo looks to be plated up to promenade deck level, with just the sports deck, sun deck and bridge decks to be added. This would probably date the photo to about May 1938, a couple of months before the launch.
Posted By: Mikhail Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 31st Jan 2014 7:06pm
Brilliant site. Don't know where the last half hour has gone!
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 31st Jan 2014 11:22pm
welcome mikhail
may that half hour last longer
Posted By: davew3 Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 1st Feb 2014 9:50am
Searching through the pictures has certainly filled a lot of voids for me especially the 1946 ones and finding the military sites in this area, ie the Heron Rd one, I always presumed they used a site not to far away from where the Wirral marker beacon for aircraft is.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 12th Feb 2014 5:50am
Top pic looks like it could be 50's too - with the ship on the stocks being the Windsor Castle ? and it being the later R09 Ark Royal - with a large Cunarder sharing the pool - possibly in for repair
Posted By: davew3 Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 17th Feb 2014 11:08pm
See your point, but two things the courts next to the church/priory and if you look to the right, sailing ship masts and the old style ferry boats, old garage next to the tramway generation plant on the A41,
Posted By: davew3 Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 18th Feb 2014 6:04pm
Do we now have a confirmed date?????

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw029265?search=wirral&ref=102
Posted By: jimbob Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 18th Feb 2014 7:19pm
bigpete. Must point out that at the time the Winsor Castle was on the stocks the land that the photo shows as still been reclaimed was not only totally reclaimed but also the new welding bays/plate prep bays/ assembly bays had been built on the reclaimed land.
Posted By: europa1 Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 21st Feb 2014 3:54pm
That was a grain elevator.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 21st Feb 2014 9:50pm
We often have discussions about the location of the pond called the Triangle (my playground area as a youngster and youth). This site has a good pic showing the location relative to the railway lines

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw053315?search=bidston&ref=3

Snod
Posted By: bigpete Re: Wirral History : Aerial Photos - 24th Feb 2014 5:12am
Yep - I am revising the date - but think I can add something - the ship on the stocks is the hull of a Battleship (maybe Prince of Wales) - see the limited openings in the top of the hull for ammunition and magazine protection.

The Mauretania and Ark Royal have both been launched - the Ark is in the basin and the Mauretania is in the largest dry dock behind it and an old freighter, fitting-out - but already in Cunard colours.

So folks it looks like late 38 - early 39 at least - the Prince of Wales was famously completed in early 1941 and almost immediately joined the hunt for the Bismark.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral