Forums
Posted By: the_kwan blackjacks at gorseylane - 5th Dec 2013 11:19pm
How stupid is this but years ago at the top of old gorsey lane in Wallasey it always used to smell of the sweets called blackjacks, anyway I have since discovered that the company who made the smelly essence for the sweets was based nearby called United additives , for years I used to smell this whilst walking to work. Just thought I would share it. smile
Posted By: kenmo52 Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 5th Dec 2013 11:35pm
Yeah, I used to go past there quite a lot when I worked in VCH.
The factory is on the right hand side of the big roundabout as you go down Gorsey Lane towards Birkenhead.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 5th Dec 2013 11:40pm
I used to love that smell too. Years ago I used to know a man who worked in a jelly factory, man... I could of ate him. He smelt so edible LOL. I think the factory was by Duke Street.
Posted By: the_kwan Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 6th Dec 2013 12:00am
So glad that I wasnt the only one to remember that ..blackjacks king of the penny tray smile
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 6th Dec 2013 12:20am
4 for a penny
Posted By: mikeeb Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 6th Dec 2013 1:46am
Wasn't it united Molasses on the dock road? used to be tate & lyle
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 6th Dec 2013 1:56am
Nope, Gorsey Lane ,just to the left of the pic in the trees. Google didnt go up the old Gorsey Lane for some reason

Attached picture sm.jpg
Posted By: federer Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 6th Dec 2013 10:04am
remember it well used to make additives for animal feed
Posted By: starakita Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 6th Dec 2013 11:46am
I remember the smell,used to remind me of liquorice allsorts
Posted By: Alonso Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 6th Dec 2013 6:52pm
I remember my kid brother and I, back in the fifties, pushing our sister's pram up Gorsey Lane for a bag of coke, not the stuff that Nigela's a fan of, the stuff that was cheaper than coal but didn't last as long. I forget how much our mam used to trust us with, but it couldn't have been very much.
Once we had the bag on the pram we'd push it over the dock-estate, sometimes shoving it along in between the railway tracks whilst pretending it was a train. Life was tough but simple then. Still...it never did us any harm.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 6th Dec 2013 7:19pm
I remember that smell well, used to love when my dad drove past there, swizzles smell mmmm, smells like crap around the docks now and going past that very same spot these days on a windy day will get you blasted by all sorts of debris due to the skip dumping grounds in old gorsey lane.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 6th Dec 2013 7:46pm
Blackjacks and Fruit Salads on Ebay.. Yum Yum
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3009....0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

Do not checkout the sellers other items, could be fattening.
Posted By: the_kwan Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 6th Dec 2013 8:28pm
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
Blackjacks and Fruit Salads on Ebay.. Yum Yum
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3009....0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

Do not checkout the sellers other items, could be fattening.

Thought you said they were 4 for a penny..lolol laugh
I remember the fruit salads too and egg and milk chews...bloody hell I am showing my age smile
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 6th Dec 2013 8:40pm
Whenever I go to Southport, I pop into the sweet shop on Coronation Walk, just off Lord Street. They sell all the old sweets we used to love. Costs me a fortune, but hey ho, it`s only once in a blue moon.

Attached picture Untitled.jpg
Posted By: the_kwan Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 6th Dec 2013 11:25pm
We were in an old sweet shoppe in Chester not so long ago and I was thrilled to find one of my old faves, toasted coconut tobacco but labelled in a more correct fashion today smile
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 7th Dec 2013 12:46am
Jap Desserts too. I need a trip out to Southport :-))
Posted By: torryman Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 8th Dec 2013 6:43pm
There's a retro sweet shop at the bottom of Bold Street near to Central station
Posted By: Anonymous Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 8th Dec 2013 6:52pm
This site is well worth looking at.....

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/?gclid=CKORpLelobsCFUbKtAodznAAgQ

Oodles of retro proper sweets to buy online. Stuff on there I haven't seen for many moons.

Enjoy
Posted By: granny Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 9th Dec 2013 12:40pm
Callard and Bowser , nougat,butterscotch and toffee. Like many,got caught up in the great American sweetie sweep and ceased to produce our best loved traditional sweets. Only inferior alternatives now. Boo,hoo.
www.sweets2.co.uk/wherenow.php
Posted By: chriskay Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 9th Dec 2013 3:47pm
Originally Posted by granny
Callard and Bowser , nougat,butterscotch and toffee. Like many,got caught up in the great American sweetie sweep and ceased to produce our best loved traditional sweets. Only inferior alternatives now. Boo,hoo.

Ah, their butterscotch; magnificent.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 9th Dec 2013 4:07pm
Originally Posted by granny

pour vous are Gran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ABfsIInfXgU
Posted By: granny Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 9th Dec 2013 7:47pm
raftl

Alright Sandshoes?
Its that vulture at the beginning that bothers me.
Just bought a packet of 'pwinkies', yes , another new one made by Bonds of London. Yet another that eventually came under the Blackpool company of Tangerine which have now sold 40% of the company to American giant , Blackstone.
'Pwinkies' are strawberry and cream flavour candy pieces. So sickly and containing the palm oil. shocked
In your cold weather, I suggest you get a supply of our ,still tradtional, Victory V's.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 9th Dec 2013 8:46pm
oh yes...."it's Victory V weather again". I loved those, can't get them here. Too bad, so sad.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: blackjacks at gorseylane - 10th Dec 2013 6:07pm
From the chemical hydrocarbon family Alkanes (Alkenes, Alkanes, and Alkynes) remember studying them in school, the teacher always referred to the additives plant when talking about the smells.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral