Forums
Posted By: ZipperClub Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 2nd Oct 2013 5:54pm
My Mum informed me that a fire station used to be at the bottom of Oakdale Road Seacombe. This must be about 60 or more years ago, does Dilly or anyone else know of its existance?. Cheers, Zipper
Posted By: solvas42 Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 4th Oct 2013 2:31pm
I have lived in Seacombe for 64 years and never been aware of firestation in oakdale road.
Posted By: Madge Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 4th Oct 2013 3:07pm
there was one in wheatland lane which is close, opposite st pauls road could she mean that,?
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 4th Oct 2013 3:07pm
I dont know of one either, Mum is "all there", so I dont know where she got that idea. I`ll have to see if she has any more info. Cheers
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 4th Oct 2013 3:09pm
Where about? I believe there was one in Platt Street but I cant place that.
Posted By: Madge Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 4th Oct 2013 3:11pm
im probably not as old as her but sometimes your memory gives you false info lol, the one in wheatland is still there but not a station anymore, if i go past sometime i will grab a pic and maybe you could show her it, and it may jog her memory, cos i couldnt see them having two so close

Posted By: Madge Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 4th Oct 2013 3:17pm
google image here
I was always told this was a fire station, i may be wrong

Attached picture Image 1asedrftgyuj.png
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 4th Oct 2013 3:30pm
I thought you meant there, I dont think it was one. I can vaguely remember seeing those doors open with workers outside smoking. Ladies had white scarves around their heads. Cant for the life of me remember the view inside, except it was not very bright.
Here is an old pic from 1929.

Attached picture Gandy Belt Wheatland Lane 4 1929.jpg
Posted By: Madge Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 4th Oct 2013 3:33pm
I dunno all i know is i was told it was, but maybe they were mistaken, ?
Posted By: Madge Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 4th Oct 2013 3:37pm
just looking through here they mention a seacombe site, http://www.merseyfire.gov.uk/Historical/wallasey.htm
another here
http://www.firestations.org.uk/Stat...d%20fire%20station%201&lat=&lon=
and a second here http://www.firestations.org.uk/Stat...site&lat=53.414195&lon=-3.021749
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 4th Oct 2013 3:42pm
Hi, yes I had a look there, thats where I read about Platt Street. I dont know where that was though. In my photo there is a big building at the bottom of Oakdale Road which is far to big to be a Fire Station, I thing I`ll have to wait till I see Mother agian.
Posted By: Madge Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 4th Oct 2013 3:44pm
it`ll annoy me now lol
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 4th Oct 2013 3:57pm
Maybe the Brougham Road was round about here???

Attached picture Brougham Road.jpg
Posted By: Madge Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 4th Oct 2013 4:40pm
could be
Posted By: daveybm Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 5th Oct 2013 11:38am
The photo posted by Madge is of the main entrance to the Gandy Belt Works which was built in 1927. It was only ever the Gandy until it closed down and the site redevelop into Wheatland Lane Business Centre.

Dave
Posted By: Madge Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 5th Oct 2013 11:57am
thanks dave
Posted By: daveybm Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 5th Oct 2013 11:57am
The Fire station in Brougham Rd was next to Riverside school virtually opposite the present RNA club according to the 1909 map of Poulton cum Seacombe.
No idea where Platt St is/was.

Dave
Posted By: chriskay Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 5th Oct 2013 1:57pm
Platt St. was quite near the new Brougham Rd. site. Looking at the map (red x) it must have been very small.
Map is O.S. 1911

Attached picture Platt St..jpg
Posted By: bazzoh Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 5th Oct 2013 9:04pm
Remember, it may not have looked like a fire station! it may have been simply a yard with an escape ladder or hose cart inside
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 5th Oct 2013 9:12pm
Cheers for that Chris. Well, at least I know where Platt Street was now. Mum is 79 so, maybe a map of about 1940 or so might show if there was a station in Oakdale Road. I`m begining to think she`s mistaken though.
Posted By: bazzoh Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 5th Oct 2013 9:17pm
And of course many fire stations "popped up" in the war years as the NFS and AFS requisitioned properties to use as sub stations
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 5th Oct 2013 9:21pm
Mmmm, that could be a thought bazzoh.
Posted By: bazzoh Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 5th Oct 2013 9:30pm
Mill lane water tower was once a fire station...
Posted By: daveybm Re: Fire Station In Oakdale Road Seacombe - 6th Oct 2013 11:32am
Dunno how I missed Platt St, I must have been looking straight at it. Time for another visit to Specsavers I think.

Dave
© Wirral-Wikiwirral