Forums
Posted By: TudorBlue Calday Grammar School Crest - 15th Sep 2013 5:23pm
What is the history behind the Calday grammar school crest/badge? The significence of the horn the wheat and thre two lions?? What about the shield with the two red stripes???

[Linked Image]
Thanks in advance guys any help with this will be very much appreciated
Posted By: chriskay Re: Calday Grammar School Crest - 15th Sep 2013 6:27pm
The three sheaves of wheat are part of the arms of Cheshire. The horn may be the Wirral horn.

The Wirral Horn is an important emblem of Wirral borough’s history. The 900-year-old Horn was given to Alan Sylvester, the first Forester of Wirral, in about the year 1130. Wirral was declared a ‘Forest’ – land designated for hunting – in about 1130 and remained so for the next 200 years. The Horn of Wirral, indicated tenure by cornage, of the Master-Forester, a form of feudal tenure which required the tenant to blow a horn giving notice of raids by the enemy.

The motto means "Without the Lord, all is in vain"
The two words in the book at the bottom mean "Let there be light"
I can't make any suggestions about the shields. If you really want to know, I'd ask the school secretary.
Posted By: Cobby Re: Calday Grammar School Crest - 15th Sep 2013 8:53pm
The two lions are from the coat of arms of William Glegg who founded the school.

The red and white seems to be from the Bennett coat of arms, for Thomas Bennett of Frankby, a benefactor of the school
Posted By: chriskay Re: Calday Grammar School Crest - 15th Sep 2013 9:41pm
Thanks, Cobby; would that be the same Glegg who gave his name to the Glegg Arms at Gayton?

Incidentally, it's Caldy, not Calday.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Calday Grammar School Crest - 16th Sep 2013 6:50am
Originally Posted by chriskay
Thanks, Cobby; would that be the same Glegg who gave his name to the Glegg Arms at Gayton?

Incidentally, it's Caldy, not Calday.

it's calday, not caldy wink
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Calday Grammar School Crest - 16th Sep 2013 7:20am
Is this the school ? hope this clears up the spelling.

Attached picture data=VLHX1wd2Cgu8wR6jwyh-km8JBWAkEzU4,yI10heTEcHpmOaSA7XDPFzpKH-F6hhvImi6l6CHHadvwZ9bmeHIWihoFKYMJ6pXs-Q9Fll7pXwiDOUjqucBE8YUytYrV1My6zZgznJxSugLVtfpM5H69k562U2Y.png
Posted By: chriskay Re: Calday Grammar School Crest - 16th Sep 2013 10:27am
Sorry, my mistake. I thought it took its name from the place, but apparently not. I suppose I should have known as my school used to play them at cricket.
I now suspect that the place, Caldy, may have originally been called Calday; should do my research better. blush
Posted By: Cobby Re: Calday Grammar School Crest - 16th Sep 2013 11:44am
It does take its name from the place, but the place is Calday Grange (now just known as Grange), which was a separate settlement from the village of Caldy. Whether either of them were ever spelled the other way I don't know!

The Glegg Arms will most certainly have been named after the Glegg family, who were one of the most important families on the Wirral in the 14th-19th centuries, their main family home being Gayton Hall.

eta - interesting theory on the origin of the name Calday at http://www.wirral-mbc.gov.uk/history/Hw1_56k/westkirby.htm...
Posted By: bigpete Re: Calday Grammar School Crest - 16th Sep 2013 1:08pm
The haystacks relate to the Wirral Hundred and are a verison of the Cheshire badge - minus a sword from the middle.

These 3 stacks can be seen in a number of local badges - such as the West Kirby Grammar School for girls badge - which is just the 3 stacks.....
Posted By: chriskay Re: Calday Grammar School Crest - 16th Sep 2013 2:43pm
I think "Haystacks" is a bit of a misnomer. In heraldry, they're "garbs" which means a sheaf. I didn't know they related to the Hundred of Wirral; I've only ever seen them with the sword as part of the arms of Cheshire.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral