Forums
Posted By: CateJones Road name help! - 11th Sep 2013 12:55pm
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me identify the second road name on this census?

I've tried looking for a road with a similar name, but cant figure it out!!

Attached picture IMG_2003.PNG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Road name help! - 11th Sep 2013 12:59pm
Taylor Buildings
Posted By: CateJones Re: Road name help! - 11th Sep 2013 2:13pm
Ooooh could be!

Do you know where that is?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Road name help! - 11th Sep 2013 2:34pm
The Enumerator went from Millers Place to Taylors Buildings and then on to Sussex Street, so in that area, map below.

Attached picture mts.JPG
Posted By: CateJones Re: Road name help! - 11th Sep 2013 2:38pm
Thank you!!
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Road name help! - 11th Sep 2013 9:06pm
What year is the census.
I was born in that area and never heard of it - 1950s onwards.
All I can think of where they may of been are the buildings on the map that are on the left hand side of Cromwell Street which as long as I can remember was a playground with swings etc

Description: Cromwell st swings
Attached picture Cromwell_Street_Playground.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Road name help! - 11th Sep 2013 9:26pm
1950s map

Attached picture 1950s swinks.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Road name help! - 12th Sep 2013 6:35am
Not sure where it was exactly, its gone by the 1911 census, it shows on the 1901, so sometime in between those dates they have been demolished or by 1911 the buildings have been enumerated under the street or road they were in. Best guess, they have been demolished by 1911.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Road name help! - 12th Sep 2013 2:09pm
Correct me if I'm wrong - aren't Taylor's Buildings still there - in Clifton Crescent - next to the Central Hotel ?????
Posted By: YinYang Re: Road name help! - 12th Sep 2013 2:25pm
Originally Posted by bigpete
Correct me if I'm wrong - aren't Taylor's Buildings still there - in Clifton Crescent - next to the Central Hotel ?????

I think that's Clifton Chambers...

Posted By: bigpete Re: Road name help! - 12th Sep 2013 2:32pm
Originally Posted by YinYang

I think that's Clifton Chambers... think

Darn it! - we are both not right on Google Streetmap there is a building there called 'Crescent Chambers'.

Taylor Buildings does ring a modern day bell for me though....
Posted By: bigpete Re: Road name help! - 12th Sep 2013 2:41pm
I may be thinking of Taylors Villas opposite the Central Library - now the Yiamas Greek eaterie
Posted By: YinYang Re: Road name help! - 12th Sep 2013 2:45pm
Darn it! - we are both not right on Google Streetmap there is a building there called 'Crescent Chambers'.

This is the one I was thinking of...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-42222356.html

Says Clifton Chambers on the Rightmove site but would make more sense for it to be Crescent Chambers.

Might be Crescent Chambers on Clifton Crescent!
Posted By: YinYang Re: Road name help! - 12th Sep 2013 3:22pm
withthat

My head is starting to hurt now. Think I'll go lie down in a darkened room for a bit and burst some bubble-wrap...

Am pretty sure it's Crescent Chambers and, yes, that is Taylors Villas where the Yiamas is.

Derek and bert will be right.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Road name help! - 12th Sep 2013 5:27pm
Looks like the buildings were in Oliver Street,

1861 Mawdsleys Directory, Bikenhead

Attached picture mawd.JPG
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Road name help! - 12th Sep 2013 6:09pm
I think Taylor Buildings must be the three blocks of properties on Cromwell Street opposite Oliver Place, occupying the site of Derek's childhood playground. These aren't named on the 1875 OS map, but the large-scale version shows that the blocks were double-fronted (i.e. they were back-to-back properties) and each property had what appears to be a flight of steps up to a front door and another going down to a cellar, typical of early 19th century multiple-occupancy dwellings. This would mean there were probably 30 two-storey houses above ground, possibly originally with 30 cellar-dwellings underneath, which would easily account for Bert's police inspector living in no. 24.

Attached picture Cromwell Street 1875.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral