Forums
Posted By: ZipperClub Library Borough Road - 16th Aug 2013 8:47pm
Anyone got any pics or information on the Library on the corner of Borough Road and Gladstone Road Seacombe, about 50 years ago?
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: Library Borough Road - 1st Sep 2013 1:34pm
I can remember using the library as a child in the mid to late 1960's . I think it closed around 1970ish when the current library was built on the site of the old Welsh Presbyterian Church .
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Library Borough Road - 1st Sep 2013 4:47pm
I was begining to think I had imagined the library untill I found this listing. The library is listed near to the bottom, on the right.

Attached picture Directory_1966.jpg
Posted By: petethebike Re: Library Borough Road - 1st Sep 2013 5:49pm
Great library,much used by me in my "formative"years.Pity they're
not like it now.Vincent's chippy,I was at school with Derek,both
Riverside and later the Tech Grammar before it slid down hill to
become Mosslands! Derek had a really good Hornby oo train set,if you like that sort of thing,
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Library Borough Road - 1st Sep 2013 6:08pm
I remember the Goldenware Pottery and going in there as the property was empty. It was dark and wet, maybe it had been on fire, went in with my mate. From what I can recall is finding some white pottery items and I think they where soft or damp to the touch. The back was wide open and seemed to be no walls between properties. A few doors up we found a see through bag that was white inside and appeared to be moving. It was full of maggots, the shop it was behind was a butchers. Maybe he wanted maggots to go fishing with?. Darn stunk too.
I done a search for the Goldenware Pottery on the net and the only thing I found was that it went into Liquidation in 1966, same date as the street listing. Maybe too late for an insurance job if it was set on fire. Maybe it just had a bad leaking roof, but it it was listed that year, I dont think the roof would of collapsed. Who know, maybe it collapsed and they could not afford to get it replaced..
© Wirral-Wikiwirral