Forums
Posted By: terryhorton Acre Lane Secondary School in Bromborough - 10th Apr 2013 1:46pm
In the local history book “Yesterday’s East Wirral” page 98 for the year 1942, there is a photo of the catering staff of Acre Lane School in Bromborough. I attended the school from 1955 to 1959 and I was in the first class to go through each year of the new school. I believe it was built in 1952-53. After seeing the photo in the Wirral book I am wondering if there was a school of the same name, built before the one I attended. Does anyone know?
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Acre Lane Secondary School in Bromborough - 11th Apr 2013 10:27am
Bromborough Secondary Modern School in Acre Lane was opened by Arthur Oakes BA, the first headmaster, on 15th April 1953. It closed on 31st August 1986, after which it was merged with Eastham Secondary School to become South Wirral High School in Plymyard Avenue. Earlier maps of the area show that it was built on a virgin site, and there was no earlier school elsewhere in Acre Lane. In fact, there wasn't much at all on that side of Acre Lane until after the War.
Thank you Marty99Fred, for your answer to my inquiry. I have since discovered that the photo was of a catering service that was located on Acre Lane, it was a typo to say it was a school. Evidently they cooked school dinners at that location and delivered them in a furniture van. You were correct, there was no school at the location until Acre Lane was built in 1953. I have fond memories of the Headmaster, Mr. Oakes, a very dedicated person.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral