Forums
Posted By: futurepast mv innesfallen - 16th Jan 2013 12:42pm
I was wondering if there is any lasting monument to the three sailors who died aboard the mv innesfallen when it hit a mine near fort perch rock.
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: mv innesfallen - 16th Jan 2013 1:55pm
I think three crewmen died when it hit the mine & the Quartermaster died a few hours after from injuries he sustained. If there were any memorials I imagine they may be in Dublin, as the ship was owned by the City of Cork Steam Packet Company.

Looks like a gentleman called Carl leckey was/is trying to "personally financing fifteen memorial plagues to be located along the promenade in the vicinity where the ships, tugs etc were sunk in war and peace on the River Mersey. Inserted is the plaque I designed and had manufactured in memory of the Innisfallen" see more at
http://www.irishships.com/memorial_to_the_irish_seamen.html#_Carl_Leckey
Posted By: futurepast Re: mv innesfallen - 16th Jan 2013 5:18pm
oxtonhill your a belter thanks for that
Posted By: j_demo Re: mv innesfallen - 16th Jan 2013 6:23pm
innesfallen

there's a house called that on Warren Drive!

edit: link to google maps

http://goo.gl/maps/wjJl1
Posted By: chriskay Re: mv innesfallen - 16th Jan 2013 7:13pm
Originally Posted by OxtonHill
"personally financing fifteen memorial plagues to be located along the promenade

Hmmm, hope they aren't contagious. grin
Posted By: Tatey Re: mv innesfallen - 16th Jan 2013 10:29pm
If you go on the the war graves commission site & do some searching, I think you will find there are memorial plaques at Tower Hill in London, appropriately numbered.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: mv innesfallen - 16th Jan 2013 10:49pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Originally Posted by OxtonHill
"personally financing fifteen memorial plagues to be located along the promenade

Hmmm, hope they aren't contagious. grin

Not much gets past the eyes of a proof reader eh ??
Posted By: Tatey Re: mv innesfallen - 17th Jan 2013 6:52am
Pinz,

Yeah I seen that like, innit. ;-)
Posted By: daveybm Re: mv innesfallen - 17th Jan 2013 8:23am
I think that these plaques are now in place along the promenade from Seacombe to New Brighton, the article from Carl Lecky is dated Dec 2011, I'm not sure if there is one for the Innesfallen.

Dave
Posted By: daveybm Re: mv innesfallen - 17th Jan 2013 8:29am
I thought so, see this link from last March from the Wirral Globe,

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/9..._wartime_related_River_Mersey_tragedies/

Dave
Posted By: futurepast Re: mv innesfallen - 17th Jan 2013 11:47am
Has anyone any idea when or if more plaugues are going to be errected at New brighton,especially the mv innesfallen?
Posted By: chriskay Re: mv innesfallen - 17th Jan 2013 12:52pm
Originally Posted by futurepast
Has anyone any idea when or if more plaugues are going to be errected at New brighton,especially the mv innesfallen?

Please differentiate between plagues (or plaugues),and plaques; they are very different. wink
Posted By: futurepast Re: mv innesfallen - 17th Jan 2013 1:10pm
My sincere apologies spelling wasn't my greatest achievment in school, of course I meant plaques lol.
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: mv innesfallen - 17th Jan 2013 3:18pm
Don't apologise, we know exactly what you meant.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral