Forums
Posted By: 8HBob Birkenhead's last steam loco for sale. - 24th Oct 2012 11:44am
The sale of class 9F loco number 92203, which pulled the last steam -hauled Summers iron ore train from Bidston Dock to Shotton steelworks on 6th November 1967, has been announced. The loco currently belongs to David Shepherd , famous for his elephant paintings,who bought it after its last run for about £3000.
I would imagine that he is probably looking for about £300,000 now. What an investment !
Anybody got the readies ?

Bob.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead's last steam loco for sale. - 24th Oct 2012 11:59am
Happy memories of the 9F's labouring up Storeton bank at night en route to Summers's. Where's it been lurking since withdrawal?

I've got the space, but I'll have to rummage down a few settees first! grin
hi I will try and put me cap on the floor in birkenhead/wirral etc, and try and sing for spare change, {but i think with my howling NO chance?!}. thumbsup omg happy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead's last steam loco for sale. - 24th Oct 2012 3:22pm
I've found 5/11d, half a book of Green Shield stamps and a boiled sweet covered in fluff. Better get singing Mike !!! grin
OH bloody hell! omg ann ann pass me my coat! i have to go out. cry
Posted By: nigelb Re: Birkenhead's last steam loco for sale. - 24th Oct 2012 4:28pm
A bit of info about 92203 here,
http://www.gwsr.com/gwr-175/on-the-running-line/locomotives-in-action/92203-black-prince.aspx
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead's last steam loco for sale. - 24th Oct 2012 6:14pm
Thanks nigelb.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Birkenhead's last steam loco for sale. - 24th Oct 2012 8:00pm
Pinz by the time you have searched all your pockets for small change the vote will have been taken and you will need an Export licence to move the loco over the border.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead's last steam loco for sale. - 24th Oct 2012 8:12pm
A good point jimbob. You are probably right on that! I don't think that the rotund buffoon will get his way though. With the possible exception of me, the folk around these parts have brains. Mention the "I" word and you'll get laughter and a few naughty words!

If it keeps the fat git off the streets, then let him rant on...

Oops. I think politics ist verbotten on here !
Posted By: bazzoh Re: Birkenhead's last steam loco for sale. - 25th Oct 2012 12:55pm
hmmmmm rather than convert the Bidston Wrexham line to electric, maybe we should buy this loco and a rake of carriages and turn it into a heritage line!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead's last steam loco for sale. - 25th Oct 2012 1:22pm
Perchance to dream................. ?

Posted By: 8HBob Re: Birkenhead's last steam loco for sale. - 25th Oct 2012 4:36pm
Class 9F's are not allowed to run on Network Rail tracks due to the flangeless centre driving wheels.

Bob.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Birkenhead's last steam loco for sale. - 25th Oct 2012 5:23pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Happy memories of the 9F's labouring up Storeton bank at night en route to Summers's. Where's it been lurking or since withdrawal?

I've got the space, but I'll have to rummage down a few settees first! grin

We could hear the 9F's going up Storeton bank especially at night even from Pensby.
When we were kids we would jump on the back of the Guards van as it was slow enough to run behind and jump on as it went up Storeton bank, but sometimes the Guard would clobber your fingers as you held on making you jump off again, no thought of health and safety then.
I know the 9F's could pull nearly 1000 ton but noticed when the diesels took over the same route to Summers they needed two diesels, one to push and one to pull, progress or what.

Also we knew one of the drivers and when he passed Woodchurch School for boys as it was then if he saw kids in the playground he would blow the whistle and wave out the cab to us, great sound.

PB
© Wirral-Wikiwirral