Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Wallasey Celebrates coronation of King George VI - 22nd Oct 2012 9:39am
Coronation of King George VI
12th May 1937

[Linked Image]
Greenfield Street, Liscard

[Linked Image]
Tower Street, Liscard

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For more photographs and the full newspaper reports about how Wallasey celebrated the coronation the please visit http://www.historyofwallasey.co.uk and check out then Index Page for 'Coronation of King George VI : Wallasey Celebrates'
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wallasey Celebrates coronation of King George VI - 22nd Oct 2012 11:22am
Great pictures - as always. Thanks. Interesting to see (1st pic) the temporary Sugg gas lamps in the middle of the road. I presume thats' the gas pipe leading towards the RH gutter ?? Safe as houses (??)The two ladders set-up in pic.2 look pretty exciting as well. Who needs "Working at Heights Regs."? For those of us fortunate enough to have used the steam ferries, the last pic. exudes simmering heat from the engine room, the smell of hot oil and steam and the clang of the engine room telegraph. The Belliss & Morcom steam gen.set would have been working overtime with all those lightbulbs to feed !! What would you give for one more sail on her eh ??

Keep'em coming Paul!

These are the times, we could kick ourselves. Dad was into sports in a big way in Wallasey. He spoke about the gymnastics display many times, over the years, saying how wonderful it was but the exact details or content was not listened to! Just dad rabbiting on again...

Was the gymnastics display at the New Brighton swimming pool?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wallasey Celebrates coronation of King George VI - 22nd Oct 2012 1:15pm
Originally Posted by granny

Was the gymnastics display at the New Brighton swimming pool?

Yes Granny. More on my website.

Makes me think of Hitler's 1930s Germany when I look at them...
great photos
© Wirral-Wikiwirral