Forums
Posted By: zibbles The City of Ragusa crossing the Atlantic - 16th Aug 2012 9:26pm
In 1871 two blokes, John Charles Buckley, and Nicolas Primoraz, left the river Mersey; bound for New York. They managed to cross the Atlantic, in a tiny converted lifeboat, despite terrible storms. Nicolas Primoraz the following year came back to Liverpool with his dog.

The City of Ragusa

This is my blog about me doing a bit of amateur research on the subject, and what I managed to unearth in January this year.

If anyone is really up on the history of Birkenhead park, I'd like to hear from you, should you have any information about the fate of the City of Ragusa; it was supposedly put afloat on one of the lakes, and rotted and sank- but I've been unable to clarify this; like I said though, I am very amateur with all this maritime research stuff.

Thank you

Dan
Posted By: bert1 Re: The City of Ragusa crossing the Atlantic - 17th Aug 2012 7:50am
An interesting tale and worthy of investigation, as usual, conflicting accounts when googled. Some say Humphrey Barton's book, Atlantic Adventures, gives the best account, so might be worth a read if you haven't already done so. There are many different thoughts on where they came from and country of birth.Buckley, could have been Irish or American and Primoraz, Australian or Croatian. However, if Primoraz was here in an asylum in 1881 it should show on the 1881 census, it doesn't or any of his other names he may of used.
Strangely, there is a registered death in 1886

Nicola Primoraz, age 43
Prescot
Volume 8b Page 561,

It doesn't say whether its male or female, you could obtain the death certificate from the GRO office, but it will cost you close to £10,

Prescot was the registration district for Rainhill Asylum.

The dogs name was Boatswain, no info on him. wink
Posted By: zibbles Re: The City of Ragusa crossing the Atlantic - 17th Aug 2012 1:49pm
Thank you for taking the time to read the blog. I am currenty in contact with an author from Croatia, who is compiling research on Primoraz(c). I've just been updated by Nenad Goll, that the picture I have on the blog is actually of Primoraz and E T W Hayter; a man from New Zealand, who returned from New York to Liverpool.

Buckley was Irish, this was in 'speck' apparently he was a bit of a war hero, - I will forward the details of the death onto Mr Longyard, and Also mr Goll.

Thanks again

Daniel
© Wirral-Wikiwirral