Forums
Posted By: birch_jl Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 12th Aug 2012 9:21pm
Hi everyone smile I've just acquired two books with an array of pictures, all of which taken on the Wirral, of course...

The two books are vaguely split into west and east Wirral - east being areas including Birkenhead, Upton, Bidston, Wallasey... and west being places like Greasby, Caldy, Hoylake and Meols. I was going to take some pictures out of the book and just upload the best ones, but I couldn't leave which are 'best' to my own opinion! Myself I live by Bidston, so the ones of the village around here interest me most. But right through from 1860 to 1960, there's basically a timeline with accounts of things that are deemed vastly to be 'changing' to the Wirral (say, housing developments being demolished/built, with accompanying photos). I was thinking it'd be easier (if people are interested), for anyone to post their area of interest onto this thread, and I could use the index to post photo's for people individually, or just write them the accounts in the book given that there are no photo's. (This is unlikely though, as there are literally hundreds of photos from most areas of the Wirral!)

Although, I will have you know, that they don't include many (if any at all) photos from places in 'south' Wirral, such as Heswall and Gayton, so don't post if you live in those areas as these books would be useless, sorry!

Also, if anyone has any ideas of a better way to share these photos let me know! Also thanks for any contributions in advance, and hope you like the photos. Some of them are extraordinary smile - J
Posted By: stevehurst11 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 13th Aug 2012 7:26pm
I wouldn't mind looking at some of the areas around the woodchurch if thats possible.
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 13th Aug 2012 9:54pm
I'll post those shortly! There's definitely some in there smile
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 13th Aug 2012 10:42pm
@stevehurst -

Hope you enjoy these! I also have one of Upton Village if you're interested grin

Description: This is the church, located just across from what is now Woodchurch c of e primary. Photo was taken C. 1905
Attached picture Woodchurch_-_Woodchurch.jpg

Description: This is a photo of a smithy which used to face on to the main road leading from Woodchurch to Upton. Photo is C. 1893 (pretty old one this!)
Attached picture Smithy_-_Woodchurch.jpg

Description: This was Woodchurch's post office when the area was still rural. It dates back to at least 1850 and the photo was taken C. 1927. This was located on Church Lane, and was demolished in the late 1930's for road construction.
Attached picture Ivy_Cottage_-_Woodchurch.jpg

Description: This is a particularly interesting one! This pub here, named the Horse & Jockey (now located in Upton Village), is actually what is now the Arrowe Park Hotel! The roundabout was built just on that grass patch you can see here. This photo was C. 1937
Attached picture Horse_&_Jockey_-_Arrowe_Park.jpg

Description: Ariel view of Fender Primary located at the bottom of the estate. Photo C. 1957
Attached picture Fender_School_-_Woodchurch.jpg

Description: These cottages were on Pool Lane and owned by the church. Most of what is now the estate used to look like this with it being very sparse and just having cottages like these. These were demolished around 1962 with the development of housing.. This is now
Attached picture Cottages_-_Woodchurch.jpg
Posted By: Alonso Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 13th Aug 2012 11:45pm
Anymore? The more the merrier. Thanks for taking the trouble to show these pics.
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 14th Aug 2012 12:32am
I have literally hundreds more but those are the only ones from the Woodchurch area. smile Are there any areas specifically you'd like me to upload? - and it's no trouble at all! Glad you like them - J
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 14th Aug 2012 7:19am
Just keep putting them on, it doesn't matter where and thanks.

I think I'm losing the plot, I went to Fender school between 1957/62 and can't remember the football pitches, which is worrying as I played for the football team and I've even got a team photo to prove it.
More pills me thinks.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 14th Aug 2012 8:54am
Great photos Johnson. Nice one
Posted By: Rambo Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 14th Aug 2012 9:08am
I went to Fender from 73 - 80 and I remember playing on the left hand pitch, i.e. the one nearest the primary side. Don't remember the other one though.
Posted By: castle62 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 14th Aug 2012 11:03am
Hi, Do you have any of Bidston, would be interested to see them.
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 14th Aug 2012 12:41pm
@castle62 - Yeah I have plenty from up the hill and the village. Some prior to when the bridge was built over Vyner rd! Quite remarkable.. Will post soon.

@bert - I would do that but there's way too many to post! I'll get through as many as I can smile
Posted By: kamikazi Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 14th Aug 2012 1:26pm
Would love to see some pics of Mount Road in Wallasey, I havent been able to find any to date.

Thanks

K
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 14th Aug 2012 1:26pm
Hi, do you have any of the Noctorum/Ford area - possibly the farms that were near Upton Station ?
Great photos by the way.
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 14th Aug 2012 4:45pm
@castle62 (and anyone else interested of course...) These are the Bidston photographs.

Description: Bidston Windmill, by Vyner Rd North before the bridge was built, extraordinary photo.
Attached picture Windmill_-_Bidston.jpg

Description: Entrance to Bidston Hall, photo C. 1893 (pretty old!)
Attached picture Bidston_Hall_-_Bidston.jpg

Description: Birkenhead institution/Tollemache School (?) C. 1943... States that this building was unscathed in the war and demolished in the 90's.
Attached picture Birkenhead_Institute_-_Bidston.jpg

Description: Boundary Rd/Worcester Rd photo 1,taken C. 1901
Attached picture Boundary_Road_-_Bidston.jpg

Description: Boundary Rd/Worcester Rd photo 2, taken around 1939.
Attached picture Boundary_Road_2_-_Bidston.jpg

Description: Holy Cross Church C. 1959. Relatively new compared to the others.
Attached picture Church_-_Bidston.jpg

Description: The lighthouse at Bidston. Date of the photo is unknown.
Attached picture Lighthouse_-_Bidston.jpg

Description: This is an interesting one. This is an etching of the lighthouse that stands there now (in the last photo). This was built in 1771 and replaced with the other in 1872. Drawn around 1860
Attached picture Old_Lighthouse_-_Bidston.jpg

Description: Bidston observatory. A lot less foliage up there back then! Maybe the council should sort that out lol. Photo C. 1928
Attached picture Observatory_-_Bidston.jpg

Description: This is the old school that used to be on School Lane in Bidston village. Dates back to 1636! Destroyed in the war, and replaced in 1941.
Attached picture Old_School_-_Bidston.jpg

Description: School Lane, Bidston. St Oswalds can be seen slightly through the trees on the left. C. 1896
Attached picture School_Lane_-_Bidston.jpg

Description: Good old Tam O' Shanter farm!! This is the farms cottage pictured in 1893.
Attached picture Tam_O'_Shanter_-_Bidston.jpg

Description: Bidston train station pictured around 1960.
Attached picture Trainstation_-_Bidston.jpg

Description: Waterworks, pictured 1959
Attached picture Water_Tower_-_Bidston.jpg
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 14th Aug 2012 4:48pm
kamikaze & atw1960, I'll have a route through them now for the ford, noctorum, and mount rd. If there is any I'll probably upload them later tonight. Watch this space lol wink Thanks for the feedback guys, glad you enjoy them.

As for the fender school photo, does anyone think it might be a different school? My dad said it didn't look like fender either... Ideas?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 14th Aug 2012 5:10pm
Definitely the Fender, no doubt about it.

I remember everything about it apart from the pitches, the dark patch on the playground was for rounders, the end of that playground had a netball court marked out for the girls, we used to use it as a football pitch during dinner time.
Posted By: Alonso Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 14th Aug 2012 11:22pm
Hi J, thanks for asking if I have any areas of interest. Any of Price Street and Cleveland Street districts? Cheers.
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 15th Aug 2012 6:57am
Brilliant thanks.
Posted By: joney Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 15th Aug 2012 9:02am
Hi JohnsonjI
Great pictures,any of Exmouth st or the Lord Exmouth Hotel.
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 15th Aug 2012 1:56pm
@alonso, here a few from the Cleveland and Price St area. There is no photographs from Cleveland and Price street specifically but I think you should enjoy these ones. Let me know if this isn't what you were looking for.

@atw1960 After a bit of a mission finding it, I found one! A picture of the Ford farms! Only problem is, can't pinpoint the location. It says there is now a few shops on the site, but, it says this farm was on the ford side (as opposed to the upton station side.) Any thoughts?

@kamikazi & @joney - There wasn't one photo of Mount Rd or Exmouth Street. (Surprising about that really!) Sorry I couldn't help. Any other places?

Here's the photo's, hope you like 'em:

Description: Flats that used to be on Beckwith St
Attached picture Flats_-_Beckwith_Street.jpg

Description: Livingstone St in Birkenhead, 1st Jan 1916. funeral of Pvt. Tildsley, who died in a showground disaster.
Attached picture Livingstone_Street_-_Birkenhead.jpg

Description: Vittoria St. Birkenhead, it's dated 1954, but horse & cart????
Attached picture Vittoria_Street_-_Birkenhead.jpg

Description: This is possibly my favourite photo of all those I've uploaded! The Ford Farms, C. 1918. Captioned - "Ford farm, Ford road, Upton. The area is known as Ford where the road crossed the river fender, the Upton side of the station, before the bridge being bu
Attached picture Ford_Farms_-_Ford.jpg
Posted By: cathcart Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 15th Aug 2012 2:27pm
great pictures,wonder have you any of marion street,cathcart street,camden street,anywhere round there please.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 15th Aug 2012 3:11pm
Great photos Johnsonjl thanks for sharing.Is that a face I see on the gable end of Tam O'Shanters farm?
Posted By: surykata Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 15th Aug 2012 4:29pm
Fantastic photos johnsonjl its good of you to share these.I am sure it is greatly appreciated by all wikiwirral members,I think you are going to be very busy on here for a while.
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 15th Aug 2012 6:49pm
@cathcart - I've found some around Argyle Street, posted below! Couldn't find any on the exact streets you stated I'm afraid. Hope you like these.

@surykata - I'm sure I will be quite busy for a while, there's hundreds of 'em! Nah, it's brilliant I enjoy sharing them, I'm glad everyone likes them. smile

Argyle St photo's:

Description: Argyle Street 1897, (horse drawn fire brigade!) this is pictured opposite where the Argyle theatre was located.
Attached picture Argyle_St_1_-_Birkenhead.jpg

Description: Argyle Street/Theatre in 1939. Apparently a pretty successful place... One of the leading theatres outside of London.
Attached picture Argyle_Theatre_-_Birkenhead.jpg

Description: The police station that used to be located on Slatey Road, bombed during the second world war
Attached picture Police_Station_-_Argyle_Street.jpg
Posted By: jimbob Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 15th Aug 2012 7:57pm
your photo of victoria street 1954 and your ? regarding the horse and cart. Quite a few delivery trades where still using the horse and cart in the first half of the 50s. coal men arround the town where one and various ones fetching and carrying stuff in and out of the docks
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 15th Aug 2012 8:06pm
@jimbob - I didn't know that! Thanks for the information. I guess I was naive in believing the transition between horse and motor was instant...
Posted By: Norton Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 15th Aug 2012 9:08pm
Great photo's - I reckon you have made a lot of work for yourself there! I've got a location to ask about, but it will wait.

The thing is, the photo of the police station (above) is Slatey Road Police Station, which was repaired, and stood next to the Williamson Art Gallery.

We had a new picture of it posted on here a few months ago, but it's the first time I've seen it in its bombed state.

Thanks.
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 15th Aug 2012 10:53pm
@norton, you're 100% correct, and I have no idea why I posted it as that! The caption doesn't even appear on the same page. How do you re-caption photos? On that note, I'm thinking about making another thread for war photo's or posting those in an already existing one. What's the location you wanted to ask about? - J
Posted By: cathcart Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 16th Aug 2012 4:41am
thanks johnson bit before my time but good pictures,thanks.
Posted By: Norton Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 16th Aug 2012 12:21pm
Thanks J.
I don't think you can re-edit a caption, even in the few minutes after posting that the system allows you to edit the text.
Most people seem to post it again, with the correct text, or add it to a more appropriate existing thread, or start a new post altogether.

As to a picture request, well, there are lots of pubs that I am sure people would like to see, so perhaps you should compile a list first, and put it on the Wirral Pubs list.

The area that I was thinking of was along Borough Road, Birkenhead. There are some pictures on this site of Central Station, the old Fire Station and Central Library with a few others inbetween.

Basically, have you got anything along Borough Rd that has since been demolished as a result of the flyovers and road widening in the area from Central Station to say Brattan Road (Christ Church / Claughton Higher Grange School)? This could be anything from the shops opposite the school, Balls Rd East junction and the shops down past The Happy Valley, the printers, Lee Fong Chinese Laundry, Taylors Villas, Simisters and Turners car and bike shops, Quarry Bank and down to Whetstone Lane. Then working our way back down, there were all the little shops and houses on the corners of the likes of Vincent St, Nelson St etc.and the Woodlands School on the opposite side.

It's probably only two thirds of a mile of road, but it's not there now. With so many people passing each day, any new photo's should bring back a lot of memories for people like myself.

Thanks again. Now you know why I said I would wait!!.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 16th Aug 2012 3:47pm
Hi johnsonjl...don't suppose you've got any of Sun Street, Craven Street end and Hilton Street have you ??
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 16th Aug 2012 5:39pm
Would love to see another picture of the old Claughton Music Hall/ Astor Tombola in Birkenhead if there is one; also Westbourne Road Birkenhead and any pictures of Mill Lane/ Central Park/ Liscard Road in Wallasey. Many thanks for what's already on!
Posted By: msinno1969 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 17th Aug 2012 8:45am
my mum lived in priory buildings ive looked everywhere can you help me plese thank you
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 17th Aug 2012 9:19am
There aren't many photos of Priory buildings around, but I posted a few here a while ago. I have a large number of aerial photos of the area, so I'll see if I can find any that are decent enough to enlarge and post them for you.
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 17th Aug 2012 11:20am
@Norton - I found a picture of the train and fire station. I know you said there are already photos of those on here, so if this is a re-post, I'm sorry, but I'll upload them anyway to compile them with all the other photos. I also have a few others from Borough Rd but couldn't find any of the specific companies you were looking for. There is one of a Johnston's taxi company though. I searched for all the other roads you'd mentioned too but only Borough Rd was indexed. Here's the photos! Any more you want to have a look at, you let me know. Hope these are along the right lines of what you're looking for smile

Description: Borough Rd in 1899, 2 years before the electric trams were introduced here. This is just by Central station
Attached picture Borough_Road_1_-_Birkenhead.jpg

Description: Johnston brothers taxi co. This is at the junction with Kingsland Rd, circa 1914.
Attached picture Borough_Road_2_-_Birkenhead.jpg

Description: Taxis waiting for custom outside Central Station, Birkenhead C. 1937
Attached picture Central_Station_-_Birkenhead.jpg

Description: The firestation at the junction of Whestone Ln & Borough Rd. The date of the photo is unknown but it's compiled with photos that are circa 1950-60
Attached picture Firestation_Borough_Road_-_Birkenhead.jpg
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 17th Aug 2012 11:23am
@sneezy -None of those streets exactly, closest road indexed was Park Rd South. I was looking for one of Patterson St yesterday because my friend lives there, but there's none of there either. frown Sorry about that! Here's the one of the church around the corner.

Description: Circa 1917, tramlines still apparent. Closest one I could get to where you mentioned I'm afraid!
Attached picture Park_Rd_South_-_Birkenhead.jpg
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 17th Aug 2012 11:25am
@Roslynmuse - What road were the music hall and Astor Tombola located? Only roads are indexed not specific locations! smile As for the other roads, there's nothing! Sorry about that! frown

@msinno1969 - Where were the priory buildings?
Posted By: Norton Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 17th Aug 2012 11:26am
Excellent, J. Thank you.

I've not seen these before. The one of the fire station would not be any later than ealy 60's as they changed the lamp fittings to sodium ones shortly afterwards.
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 17th Aug 2012 11:29am
No worries pal, glad you like 'em, and cheers for the info. I think that's why I enjoy uploading these, I'm only a young lad so all I have is the photo's, along with little information about 'em. So in exchange for giving you the photos I get the information, everyone's a winner lol. laugh
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 17th Aug 2012 4:07pm
You have some interesting photos in those books, most of which I haven't seen before. Would you mind letting me know the titles of the books please?
Thanks, Chris.
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 17th Aug 2012 7:26pm
These are really great photos , johnson j ! In answer to your question , I know that there was a farm on the Ford Estate side of Upton Road - roughly where The Fender (formerly Seven Stiles) pub is now . We moved up to the Noctorum in early 1968 and some of the farm buildings were there then . I have seen a photo taken of the farm and in the far background you can just about see the domes of the observatory.
As a matter of interest , if you go to www.maps.cheshire.gov.uk , you can bring up a modern map of your area and compare it with tithe maps and old ordnance survey maps plus aerial photos of Chehire from the early '70s .
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 17th Aug 2012 7:31pm
The Astor was on Claughton Road roughly on the car park opposite the new Asda. The Music Hall pub was in Atherton Street (I think) round about where Yatesey's is now.
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 17th Aug 2012 7:33pm
The picture on the gable end of the cottage shows a scene from Robert Burns' poem Tam O' Shanter , which gave the farm its name.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 17th Aug 2012 9:32pm
johnsonjl.....thanks for trying, keep putting the photos up, love seeing them smile
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 19th Aug 2012 10:59am
Do you have any of hind st and st pauls church that was in argyle st?
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 19th Aug 2012 5:53pm
@chriskay - The titles of the books are "Yesterdays Birkenhead" & "Yesterdays West Wirral Part 2". I also have one called "Birkenhead at War". Don't have part 1 to go to the West Wirral one! They're brilliant books though.

@atw1960 - That first link didn't work to the maps? Don't know why. (Does the website still exist?).. Regarding the location of The Astor and the Music Hall, I might have a photo which could be of help... Posted below smile

@chris7777 - I think all the photos indexed "Argyle Street" have been posted up, but I'll have a more detailed look for the church.

Description: Atherton street Birkenhead looking down toward Exmouth street? circa 1955
Attached picture Atherton_Street_-_Birkenhead.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 19th Aug 2012 9:11pm
Originally Posted by johnsonjl
@chriskay - The titles of the books are "Yesterdays Birkenhead" & "Yesterdays West Wirral Part 2". I also have one called "Birkenhead at War". Don't have part 1 to go to the West Wirral one! They're brilliant books though.

Thanks.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 19th Aug 2012 10:14pm
Originally Posted by johnsonjl
@atw1960 After a bit of a mission finding it, I found one! A picture of the Ford farms! Only problem is, can't pinpoint the location. It says there is now a few shops on the site, but, it says this farm was on the ford side (as opposed to the upton station side.) Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by atw1960
These are really great photos , johnson j ! In answer to your question , I know that there was a farm on the Ford Estate side of Upton Road - roughly where The Fender (formerly Seven Stiles) pub is now . We moved up to the Noctorum in early 1968 and some of the farm buildings were there then . I have seen a photo taken of the farm and in the far background you can just about see the domes of the observatory.

There were two farms at Ford by Upton Station, one on each side of the road.

Ford Farm was located on the Station side of the road. The farm was demolished in the 1930s and shops were built on the site.

Bridge Farm was opposite Ford Farm. The extension had a date stone which read 1790 (this was removed before the building was demolished), the rest of the building was much older. The farmland was used for building the Ford Estate, and the farm house was demolished during the building of the M53.

Description: Bridge Farm - viewed from Upton Station looking towards Bidston.
Attached picture Bridge Farm.jpg

Description: Ford Farm - also viewed from Upton Station (The house to the right of the farm was the Station Masters house)
Attached picture ford farm.jpg
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 20th Aug 2012 12:30am
Wow!! thank you ever so much for the photos/info uptoncx. I live right by upton station, so looking at those is brilliant! it's mad how much it's changed round here. Kind of sad in a way, too. Do you happen to know what that house is on top of the hill in the first photo? it isn't the original site of the Hillbark, is it?
Posted By: futurepast Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 20th Aug 2012 12:58am
I'm pretty sure it is Fender primary, it hasn't changed that much in 55 years it still looks pretty much the same except the school has been extended and the school field at the back is now smaller, great pics thanks for sharing
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 20th Aug 2012 11:48am
Many thanks for the Atherton St photo, Astor Tombola off camera unfortunately, but a nice picture! Great collection of photos.
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 20th Aug 2012 11:56am
@Roslynmuse - Ah, sorry about that. Was it off to the left where the car park is now, I assume?
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 22nd Aug 2012 5:33pm
Thanks Uptoncx - that cleared a bit of confusion I was suffering from !
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 22nd Aug 2012 5:44pm
Hi Johnsonj , I think I missed a bit of the URL out (put it down to my computer illiteracy !).Try this

www.maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps
Posted By: Norton Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 25th Aug 2012 5:26pm
Originally Posted by Roslynmuse
Would love to see another picture of the old Claughton Music Hall/ Astor Tombola in Birkenhead if there is one; also Westbourne Road Birkenhead and any pictures of Mill Lane/ Central Park/ Liscard Road in Wallasey. Many thanks for what's already on!

There is a topic on here about the Claughton Music Hall / Astor, Clicky

And I'm prety certain that I have seen some of Mill Lane on here too, particularly around the water tower, from a long time ago. You'll need to search a bit for them..
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 26th Aug 2012 6:50pm
Originally Posted by Norton
Originally Posted by Roslynmuse

There is a topic on here about the Claughton Music Hall / Astor, Clicky

And I'm prety certain that I have seen some of Mill Lane on here too, particularly around the water tower, from a long time ago. You'll need to search a bit for them..

Thanks for the link and info. I'd seen the Claughton/Astor thread before but I'll have a search for Mill Lane posts. I remember posting a question a while back about a pool near to St Alban's Church that was on an old picture and getting some helpful replies.
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 29th Aug 2012 9:15am
Sorry I haven't posted in a few days everybody, been away. Don't forget to keep naming places!

@atw1960 I'm afraid the link still doesn't work?? Possibly a problem on my end? Is this the link? http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/TwinMaps.aspx

- J
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 2nd Sep 2012 2:22pm
That's the one !
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 2nd Sep 2012 5:59pm
Yeah got it working now! It's interesting enough looking at the 1970s aerial view...
Posted By: oxtonmac Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 2nd Sep 2012 10:46pm
great pics , its facinating to see a snapshot of life on the wirral before i was born thanks for sharing
Posted By: MJThompson1994 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 4th Sep 2012 8:19pm
Now I've looked at them myself, they're some quality pictures.
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 5th Sep 2012 6:36pm
I live by Upton Station and it's fascinatng to see how much has changed over the years .
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 7th Sep 2012 5:10pm
@atw1960 - Likewise
Posted By: gracie2010 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 7th Sep 2012 10:32pm
hi, brilliant pictures i have really enjoyed looking, have you any pictures of tranmere area (around devonshire park estate) or moreton? thanks x
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 8th Sep 2012 10:51am
There aren't any of Moreton (something tells me that the area has a seperate book because there isn't one picture taken in Moreton, and these books span from West Kirby right over to Birkenhead docks)

As for the Devonshire Park Estate there's only one picture from Willowbank Road when it was bombed in the war. But I'll post that in a more suited thread and send you a link. smile
Posted By: gracie2010 Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 9th Sep 2012 9:13pm
thankyou smile i would love to see it smile
Posted By: birch_jl Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 10th Sep 2012 3:09pm
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/723576.html#Post723576 posted it in there, it's definitely on Willowbank Rd but I can't tell the whereabouts from the picture - any more areas of interest, let me know smile
Posted By: stickybeak Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 12th Jun 2015 9:58pm
I have just found your pictures, I remember Bridge farm, very well, I was friends with the farmers daughter in the early 60s, and have lovely memories of riding around the fields that became the Ford estate. We used to ride up Beryl road to the Flat lanes, I would love to see pictures of these if you had any. My friends surname was Johnson, any connection with yourself ? Thanks for the great pictures.
Posted By: MDownes Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 17th Dec 2017 1:29pm
My Grandfather was the last tenant farmer of Bridge Farm prior to its demolition. How can I see this picture ?
Posted By: MDownes Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 17th Dec 2017 1:31pm
Jackie Johnson or Mo Johnson ? My mother is Jackie, you must have also known Peter & Bob - All are still living on the wirral except Peter who lives in North Wales
Posted By: jeffappleyard Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 22nd Dec 2017 8:36pm
Hi J, just joined this site & i would really be interested in any photos or information on the Lunts Cake Factory that was on Hoylake Rd nr St James Church in the 1950's, i beleive this area was in Bidston then?
I live in N/East of England so anything you have on Lunts? i would like to see please.Jeff
Posted By: arnyhughes Re: Wirral History. 1860 - 1960... - 31st Dec 2017 7:00pm
do you have any of gorsedale school 52 to 62
© Wirral-Wikiwirral