Forums
Posted By: cathcart champion - 30th Jul 2012 2:26pm
sad to see the champion magazine go bump.it was a very good read.as was the journal.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: champion - 30th Jul 2012 3:44pm
Never seen that one.
Posted By: ManxCat Re: champion - 30th Jul 2012 5:53pm
Very sad to hear this..

We used to able to pick a copy up at a certain supermarkets checkout..
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: champion - 30th Jul 2012 6:12pm
Originally Posted by ManxCat
Very sad to hear this..

We used to able to pick a copy up at a certain supermarkets checkout..

I'll bet you didn't pick it up at Lidl.My guess would be a certain supermarket in West Kirby.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: champion - 30th Jul 2012 6:18pm
I used to pick mine up at a certain supermarket in Upton - it was a useful magazine, lots of 'what's on' info. Must have been hard work putting it all together, securing advertising to fund the free distribution etc. It'll be missed.
Posted By: catlover Re: champion - 30th Jul 2012 7:24pm
Sorry to disagree Greenwood...the magazine was directed at "the privilged class"..it was not a magazine for the people of Wirral but for the supposed "upper class" as the distribution areas defined..West Kirby, Caldy, Heswall, Greasby, Thurstaton etc

Certainly no loss to ordinary people like me
Posted By: Moonstar Re: champion - 30th Jul 2012 9:16pm
No wonder it went bust. There are more millionaires in Wallasey than the rest of the Wirral. Not all wealthy people announce their fiscal situation visibly.
Posted By: cathcart Re: champion - 30th Jul 2012 9:37pm
it was actually on the counters at supermarkets,also in birkenhead market.
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: champion - 31st Jul 2012 7:31am
Originally Posted by catlover
Sorry to disagree Greenwood...the magazine was directed at "the privilged class"..it was not a magazine for the people of Wirral but for the supposed "upper class" as the distribution areas defined..West Kirby, Caldy, Heswall, Greasby, Thurstaton etc

What a load of rubbish somad
Posted By: catlover Re: champion - 31st Jul 2012 8:19am
Explain your anger...when the magazine was brought to the market it was very definitely aimed at people who could afford to support the advertisers who initially, because of the cost of advertsising in the magazine,were all selling more expensive products or services than might be considered the norm
There was a limited distribution area to properties in the regions of Wirral defined in my post
It may well be that as the magazine failed copies were more readily available
Don't make statements such as you have without backing them up please
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: champion - 31st Jul 2012 8:46am
Originally Posted by catlover
"upper class" as the distribution areas defined..West Kirby, Caldy, Heswall, Greasby, Thurstaton etc

It was distributed in all areas of Wirral, Birkenhead, Claughton, Oxton, Prenton, Tranmere! are these upper class as well in your opinion?

"it was not a magazine for the people of Wirral"

The magazine contained what's on info the Wirral, it had a very good local history section every month. Stories of local people, & some great pictures.

"Certainly no loss to ordinary people like me"

I'm ordinary & I'll miss it.

How many copies did you actually read, cover to cover before making such ridiculous comments like "the privilged class"
Posted By: catlover Re: champion - 31st Jul 2012 10:02am
What a load of rubbish...I defy anyone from Leasowe. Moreton, Birkenhead, Seacombe, etc to come on tis forum amd tellme thatthey received the Champion magazine though their door on a monthly basis

How do I know this? simple..because I am in business and enquired about advertising my company in the magazine

As well as enquiring about the cost, I also enquired about the distribution areas so I know at firts hand exactly where the magazine was to be delivered

I was actually sent a number of "complimentary" issues, by post, to my home address, as the advertising executive of the magazine attempted to win my custom

Yes I will agree some of the articles were decent reading but the whole concept of the magazine wa, as I identified, aimed at the upper class, as was regularly illustrated in their columns of forthcoming events hich were inserted at no cost to the organisations involved

When did you ever see an attic sale at Victoria Hall advertised for free, but there were many insertions for " a coffee morning with the West Kirby or Caldy "Ladies organisations" featured

A little thought..don't make comments which can't be backed up by first hand knowledge..someone will always shoot you down in flames
Posted By: Tatey Re: champion - 31st Jul 2012 2:58pm
I have never even heard of it in New Brighton, or perhaps I should say upper Brighton!
Posted By: Tatey Re: champion - 31st Jul 2012 2:59pm
Originally Posted by Moonstar
No wonder it went bust. There are more millionaires in Wallasey than the rest of the Wirral. Not all wealthy people announce their fiscal situation visibly.

How do you know that?
Posted By: polo_phil Re: champion - 31st Jul 2012 3:09pm
It was delivered to my house in Birkenhead (centre)...

but to be fair the butler brought it up with my breakfast... shifty
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: champion - 31st Jul 2012 3:53pm
I got it regularly and enjoyed the local articles and old photos. I expected most people learned something from it. The trade adverts were useful too, not just for 'rich' people, anyway it's nice to have a 'touch of class' now and again. Why is Catlover getting so worked up about it anyway? And how did you find out it was finished as I never saw any announcements?
I'm sorry it's gone.
Posted By: catlover Re: champion - 31st Jul 2012 5:11pm
I am not getting all worked up, merely responding to the original post which read...."sad to see the champion magazine go bump.it was a very good read.as was the journal"

you dont signify which area of Wirral you live in..I suspect it is one of the areas I mentioned as being the only recipient places

Posted By: muzzy2 Re: champion - 31st Jul 2012 5:33pm
I'm in Prenton, where are you?
Posted By: catlover Re: champion - 31st Jul 2012 5:40pm
have a look I identify my area
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: champion - 31st Jul 2012 6:10pm
Yes, I saw Wallasey, I used to live in New Brighton and also Wallasey Rd and Claremount Rd.
My grandparents lived in Durban Rd. So not too posh!
Anyway, wouldn't want to upset a fellow cat lover, we need all we can get!
Posted By: Brown_Horrocks Re: champion - 2nd Aug 2012 9:09am
We used to get this delivered every month, sorry to hear it has finished, by the way we live in Wallasey - Grove Road end of Rolleston Drive (unfortunately we are not Millionaires)

But bizarrely, last week we got another magazine delivered which is a thick glossy affair which covered Cheshire East - a bit like a poor mans version of Cheshire Life
Posted By: 8HBob Re: champion - 2nd Aug 2012 11:11am
We live in Sea Road (the poor end !) & all we get is the 'Wirral Globe'

Bob.
Posted By: Brown_Horrocks Re: champion - 2nd Aug 2012 12:45pm
Originally Posted by 8HBob
We live in Sea Road (the poor end !) & all we get is the 'Wirral Globe'

Bob.

Less of the false modesty - there is no poor end of Sea Road cool
© Wirral-Wikiwirral