Forums
Posted By: pablo42 St James Church - 24th Jul 2012 8:22am

St James Church and West Float 1920. The old Dock Cottages are still in place

Attached picture stjameschurchwestfloat1920.jpg
Posted By: dave_h Re: St James Church - 24th Jul 2012 8:36am
these are fab mate!
Posted By: Stegga Re: St James Church - 24th Jul 2012 8:49am
Fantastic picture Pablo, strange that the only built up quadrant around St James church is now the only open space around it.
Posted By: buddy Re: St James Church - 24th Jul 2012 9:14am
Great - keep the photos coming Pablo
Posted By: pablo42 Re: St James Church - 24th Jul 2012 9:16am
I'm amazed that there are so many open spaces around that area
Posted By: ilovecuba Re: St James Church - 24th Jul 2012 8:30pm
My Nan lived in dock cottages until she went into service at 14yrs old.
Posted By: Alonso Re: St James Church - 24th Jul 2012 8:37pm
If you follow Corporation Road, with your eye, the third turning on the right leads into the top end of Cleveland Street. There are a little row of houses in that part of Cleveland Street which were demolished years ago. I was born in one of those houses. How close we lived to the Birkenhead Docks. We used to listen to the cattle and sheep being taken to the Lairage by railway carriage of a night.

Just opposite to the field, which was the venue in the fifties for many returning circuses(we always got free tickets) us lads used to play cricket on the field all day and evening during the long hot summers. But those house were bloody freezing in the winter. My dad used to say: "we don't need a fridge, we've got a parlour."
Posted By: pablo42 Re: St James Church - 25th Jul 2012 8:12am
Nice one Alonso. I love it when the pictures are padded out with stories
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: St James Church - 25th Jul 2012 8:17am
One of my mums relatives lived in the dock cottages he work as a railway worker,He went on to better thing and end up retiring early...One of a few who made it back in them days...
Posted By: Alonso Re: St James Church - 25th Jul 2012 4:07pm
Originally Posted by pablo42
Nice one Alonso. I love it when the pictures are padded out with stories

Thanks a million pablo. Great pics like these bring the memories flooding back. Please keep em coming.
Posted By: Alonso Re: St James Church - 25th Jul 2012 4:15pm
Actually, looking along Corporation Road and just before the first turning on the right, that is the spot where the Canadian actor Bonar Colleano was killed in a car accident one night, back in the sixties. He was with another actor called Paul Carpenter. They both featured in B movies and lots of TV half-hour detective series. My dad used to call them the epsom salt's series. Because everybody ended up running after each other at the end the episode. You know, like as if they all had the trots. Lol!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St James Church - 25th Jul 2012 4:36pm
my nan and family also from dock cottages, got my mum here she is delighted to see them again. the surname was standing. thanks pablo
Posted By: marzie Re: St James Church - 26th Jul 2012 10:49am
i think the actor who was in the car crash with bonor colleno was michael balfour.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: St James Church - 27th Jul 2012 12:11pm
More on the Bonar Colleano crash here.
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: St James Church - 30th Jul 2012 5:53pm
Before and After

Attached picture Before and After.jpg
Posted By: willoughby Re: St James Church - 26th Oct 2012 7:54am
Great photo. Haven't seen this one before. The road running diagonally to the right in an easterly direction is Laird Street where the photo shows a row of houses on the right of Laird Street. This is where Dixie Dean was born and lived at #325 Laird Street. He was of course the greatest goalscorer the world of football has ever known. How many millions would he be worth today?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral