Forums
Posted By: Samsamsam Leasowe to Rhyl Hovercraft 50th Anniversary - 20th Jul 2012 2:10pm
It was 50 years ago today.

The following quote from The Echo covers the celebrations, and the actual article describes the momentous, but short lived service of the first passenger hovercraft!

"Rosemary Quinn, secretary of the Friends of Leasowe Lighthouse, says: I’m always amazed how many people come into the lighthouse and say ‘I remember the hovercraft’. It was such a phenomenal thing – the first such service in the world and people were gobsmacked.”

She adds: “Next Friday – July 20, on the actual anniversary – Fort Perch Rock Museum in New Brighton will have a display about the hovercraft, while the Leasowe Lighthouse will be open on the afternoon of Sunday, July 22 (1pm to 5pm) for a free display on the ground floor, including a DVD of the launch of the hovercraft which has come from the Hovercraft Museum, based in Hampshire.

“It was a shame the hovercraft didn’t operate for a longer period, but it was experimental. It was all about seeing how it would work, so it was important in helping bring about further developments in the future.”

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...e-to-rhyl-100252-31391766/#ixzz21AiMikkQ
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Leasowe to Rhyl Hovercraft 50th Anniversary - 20th Jul 2012 2:22pm
I remember it at Moreton. We had a job telling all the people what was going on with it. I think I earned the sum total of a packet of Rollos
One of the visitors to the Lighthouse said he has a picture in the family album of him as a kid, crouching down with his hand over his ears because of the noise - no wonder they didn't want it at Hoylake!
i remember walking to moreton shore with my dad to watch it.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Leasowe to Rhyl Hovercraft 50th Anniversary - 20th Jul 2012 6:08pm
The first trip carried mail - and somewhere I have a First Day cover for the event

Snod
Well @Snodvan, @Pablo42 and @Eggandchips, all I can say is come along to Leasowe Lighthouse on Sunday afternoon, we are planning to have audio set up so we can record people's memories.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Leasowe to Rhyl Hovercraft 50th Anniversary - 21st Jul 2012 6:42am

Previous threads on the hovercraft service:

Wallasey - Rhyl Hovercraft

The Hovercraft
Posted By: lizzie271 Re: Leasowe to Rhyl Hovercraft 50th Anniversary - 22nd Jul 2012 10:25pm
I worked at cadburys at this time,we all heard there was something going on at moreton shore. it was amazing all we could see was this boat of some description coming out of the water onto the embankment just floating on air,none of us had seen anything like it before, it was brilliant
© Wirral-Wikiwirral