Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Workhouse - 11th Jul 2012 11:30am

I was sent this photo a while back of Higher Tranmere. I take it that this would be what we know now as St Caths Hospital?

Description: From workhouses.org.uk
Attached picture Birkenhead5.jpg
Posted By: gopher Re: Workhouse - 11th Jul 2012 12:04pm
Yes behind the kids is the old main entrance, the workhouse was at the rear of the hospital on the Derby Road entrance which housed the doctors quarters and the porters lodge and the mortuary.My late mother worked there as a cleaner in the 50's until the late 70's.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Workhouse - 11th Jul 2012 12:13pm
Nice one Gopher
Posted By: Alonso Re: Workhouse - 11th Jul 2012 6:36pm
Two of my great grandmothers died there in the early twentieth century. I only discovered this when researching my family tree. Both buried in paupers graves in Flaybrick. Their husbands are there too. Poor buggers were born too soon. We moan, but I don't think some of us realize how fortunate we are.

Another good pic. Thanks for showing it to us.
Posted By: Schuu Re: Workhouse - 11th Jul 2012 10:18pm
I love this photo, They've practically finished rebuilding the hospital now, so most of this is gone. I cant help but think that its such a shame things need to be upgraded.
It was oddly soothing and peaceful walking down the old corridors of St Caths.

Thanks for sharing this photo =)
Posted By: PLUSONE Re: Workhouse - 11th Jul 2012 10:51pm
Dont forget the Open Afternoon on the 20th.
Details in Up n Coming forum. smile
Posted By: bigpete Re: Workhouse - 19th Jul 2012 2:48pm
Acclaimed in its day - for the light airy window filled walls - the ward/buildings on Church Street were the first to go - with the former Workhouse 'wards' still there being used as clinics.

My poor old Nan had a morbid fear of the place (she still saw it as 'the workhouse') - especially when her health started failing....

Posted By: bert1 Re: Workhouse - 19th Jul 2012 3:17pm
Link for it

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Birkenhead/
© Wirral-Wikiwirral