Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Mathew Street - 10th Jul 2012 1:29pm

Summat the younger ones might know. Mathew Street before the Beatles. The warehouses down here were mainly fruit warehouses. I used to work in the city fruit market, Queen Square and the Northern Fruit market Cazenau Street, just off Scotland Road. It's now the entrance to the Wallasey Tunnel

Attached picture 000001mathewst.jpg
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Mathew Street - 10th Jul 2012 1:49pm
so very different. wouldnt of known that it was matthew street i was in the cavern club last week ,it was very nostalgic for me after so many years, but it still has that same buzz, and has not altered much.
Posted By: granny Re: Mathew Street - 10th Jul 2012 1:52pm
Looks grim, doesn't it?

Wasn't Stanley Street another with warehouses, can't quite remember? Also, was the Post Office sorting office at the bottom of Stanley Street? Remember we would get off at Exchange Station and walk virtually in a straight line down to Whitechapel in the centre.

Your eyes are fading and my memory is going!
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Mathew Street - 11th Jul 2012 9:50am
Originally Posted by sunnyside
so very different. wouldnt of known that it was matthew street i was in the cavern club last week ,it was very nostalgic for me after so many years, but it still has that same buzz, and has not altered much.

Bad news SS. That's not the same Cavern club. The original was knocked down in the early seventies. it's a good mock up mind. It certainly hasn't got that musty smell or the condensation coming off the ceiling...
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Mathew Street - 11th Jul 2012 9:54am
Originally Posted by granny
Looks grim, doesn't it?

Wasn't Stanley Street another with warehouses, can't quite remember? Also, was the Post Office sorting office at the bottom of Stanley Street? Remember we would get off at Exchange Station and walk virtually in a straight line down to Whitechapel in the centre.

Your eyes are fading and my memory is going!

Stanley street had a lot of fruit importers offices, a couple of small shipping offices and a couple of insurance companies. Yes, the sorting office was in Whitechapel, exactly where the Met Quarter is today. They built a new Post Office there in the eighties and knocked it down not long after
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Mathew Street - 11th Jul 2012 10:15am

The old Cavern

Attached picture cavern.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Mathew Street - 11th Jul 2012 10:16am

Inside the Cavern

Attached picture cavern01.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Mathew Street - 11th Jul 2012 10:16am

Roadrunners at the Cavern 1964

Attached picture cavclubroadrunners1964.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Mathew Street - 11th Jul 2012 10:17am

Beatles with Gene Vincent at the Cavern Club

Attached picture BeatlesenGeneVincentCavernLiverpool.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Mathew Street - 11th Jul 2012 10:23am

Bopping at the Cavern 1967

Attached picture 22The-Cavern1967.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Mathew Street - 11th Jul 2012 10:26am

Quese for the Cavern. The electricity sub station is still there. There is no wall there now. The Roberts wagon would be parked right outside the Grapes pub

Attached picture 2222222MatthewStreetLiverpool.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Mathew Street - 17th Jul 2012 5:56pm

Mathew Street 1925

Attached picture mathewstreet1925.jpg
Posted By: Norton Re: Mathew Street - 17th Jul 2012 8:07pm
I think that this is taken from the corner of Harrington St ( off to the immediate left, with your back to BHS) with Button St going off to the right, which means the street at the end is Temple St. Therefore you can't see Mathew St because it goes off sharp left at that junction and runs roughly parrell with Harrington St.

The brickwork on the window by the Button St roadsign is a giveaway which matches up with one on Google Earth.

By the way, it's nice to see that Google have now got Liverpool 1 shops and the canal link past the Pier Head on their satellite view - but the new landing stage for cruise ships is still missing.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral