Forums
Posted By: pablo42 West Kirby South Shore - 10th Jul 2012 11:15am
South Shore, West Kirby 1905. Anyone know what the tower was?

Attached picture south-shore-west-kirby-1905.jpg
Posted By: AR_One Re: West Kirby South Shore - 10th Jul 2012 11:52am
I was wondering if it's a Red Rocks cos there's a house there with a tower (think that it's the second one from the end):

Clicky
Posted By: pablo42 Re: West Kirby South Shore - 10th Jul 2012 12:14pm
No, it's a West Kirby postcard and Wales is in the background
Posted By: pablo42 Re: West Kirby South Shore - 10th Jul 2012 1:05pm
Tell’s Tower is a curious little structure standing by the Marine Lake at the seaside resort of West Kirby on the Wirral Peninsula. The tower was erected during the 19th century in memory of a brave German Shepherd who saved his master from drowning on the night of January 22, 1871. When he saw that his master was in difficulty, Tell swam far out into the Irish Sea, grabbed him and dragged him all the way back to shore. Then, with his master safe home at Hilbre House, the brave dog lay down on the sand exhausted. And died.

In recognition of Tell’s bravery a local clergyman, hearing the story, built a tower to the brave dog in the grounds of the house where he had lived. The tower became a lookout post during the Second World War and the house later became the home of Selwyn Lloyd, the then Speaker of the House of Commons. The property has long since been demolished, but the tower still stands although it is no longer accessible to the public.

http://www.oldwirral.com/westkirby_tellstower.html

I've just been sent this. Looks like my little problem is solved
Posted By: granny Re: West Kirby South Shore - 11th Jul 2012 12:54am
What a sad, although remembered, tale. Lovely to see the tower, which we wouldn't have done otherwise. A nice picture too.
Thanks for the info.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: West Kirby South Shore - 11th Jul 2012 10:00am
I'd not heard of the tower before
© Wirral-Wikiwirral