Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Towards Birkenhead - 14th May 2012 11:22am

An old print looking towards Birkenhead from Liverpool 1831

Attached picture 1831BirkenheadfromLiverpool-1.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Towards Birkenhead - 14th May 2012 11:23am

Birkenhead Ferry, no date

Attached picture 1831BirkenheadFerryoppositeLIverpool-1.jpg
Posted By: Alonso Re: Towards Birkenhead - 14th May 2012 6:50pm
I wonder if that church in the first picture is the same church, next to Cammell Lairds that is having work done on it at the present time? From what I know, neither side of the river during the period when the pics were created were heavily populated. Researching my family's history, I was able to get back as far as 1793 and learned that my four times great grandfather, born in Ireland took his wife to America prior to 1820. Their son was born in America that year. However, the following year they were living in Liverpool. Can't imagine crossing the Atlantic during those times with a child who was less than a year old on a tall ship. Good thing for me that they did though, otherwise i wouldn't have been here. The child grew up and became a journeyman boilermaker in Cammell Lairds. The trade continued down the family line for generations. I wanted to take up an apprenticeship in the Yard, but my mother wouldn't let me. She said the pay was too low and she wanted me to pay my keep.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Towards Birkenhead - 6th Jun 2012 2:13pm
Interesting piccy's - the second one will be Monks Ferry =- as you can see St Marys Church Tower behind it
© Wirral-Wikiwirral