Forums
Posted By: Erainn Memories of Digby's Club? - 2nd Jan 2012 11:50pm
Get's a touch hazy looking back to 1970s Birkenhead, maybe it was the cigarette smoke that filled the buses in those days, or too much brown over bitter in pubs long gone the way of clearance...have though vague memories of a nighclub circa 1975, around the area of, the then newish flyover? Was it called Digby's? Anyone have any recollections of that spot? Seem to remember it had a small bar downstairs, with two rooms upstairs, both with dance floors and stages for live bands, rock bands as I recall. Oh and serving chicken in the basket too smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Memories of Digby's Club? - 3rd Jan 2012 12:11am
Mr Digby's, loads of punk/new wave bands and others played there ...

Jam
Sex Pistols
Radio Stars
Wire
Motorhead
Slaughtre and the Dogs
Deaf School
Siouxsie and the Banshee's
Tom Robinson Band

Never went there myself - too busy at Eric's in Liverpool
Posted By: Erainn Re: Memories of Digby's Club? - 3rd Jan 2012 12:14am
Thanks for that, what a line up, do you think it was up and running before the punk era?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Memories of Digby's Club? - 3rd Jan 2012 12:21am
Missed out Birkenhead's Mutants. No idea what is was before, it later became one of the Fun Clubs (can't remember name) then a gym I think.
Posted By: Stingray Re: Memories of Digby's Club? - 3rd Jan 2012 1:07am
My schoolmates dad owned Mr Digbys & I remember The Jam playing there but didn't see that but I DID see Motorhead. I got so pist on the no 10 bus from Wallasey on a bottle of Blue Nun that I puked up on Lemmy's boots while he was givin it loads! Got booted off the stage by a roadie for tryin to nick Phil Taylor's drum sticks off his kit at the end of the gig & staggered back to Wallasey at about 4 in the morning! Oh happy days!
P.S. I did apologise to Lem when they played at The Asmosphere a few months later & he was kool as could be I even got a broken string off his bass!
Posted By: j_demo Re: Memories of Digby's Club? - 3rd Jan 2012 10:16am
Originally Posted by Stingray
My schoolmates dad owned Mr Digbys & I remember The Jam playing there but didn't see that but I DID see Motorhead. I got so pist on the no 10 bus from Wallasey on a bottle of Blue Nun that I puked up on Lemmy's boots while he was givin it loads! Got booted off the stage by a roadie for tryin to nick Phil Taylor's drum sticks off his kit at the end of the gig & staggered back to Wallasey at about 4 in the morning! Oh happy days!
P.S. I did apologise to Lem when they played at The Asmosphere a few months later & he was kool as could be I even got a broken string off his bass!

only lemmy can break a bass string. xD
Posted By: Erainn Re: Memories of Digby's Club? - 3rd Jan 2012 10:23am
Stingray, a Wonderful story smile
Posted By: judgejohn Re: Memories of Digby's Club? - 3rd Feb 2012 5:28pm
sex pistols didnt play digbys-they played the new hamilton as "spots"

also played at digbys

the skids
the ruts
Posted By: Thingwall Re: Memories of Digby's Club? - 10th Mar 2019 11:19pm
I saw Eddie and the Hot Rods at Mr Digbys and The Darts. My brother saw Motorhead - v v loud apparently.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Memories of Digby's Club? - 11th Mar 2019 12:21am
Originally Posted by judgejohn
sex pistols didnt play digbys-they played the new hamilton as "spots"

Sex Pistols were at Mr Digby's on 14th October 1976, they were at Eric's Club the following night.

They were supposed to appear at the Hamilton on 12th December 1977 as part of the "Never Mind the Bans" tour but the show was cancelled by Wirral Council, I can't see the club risking their licence by allowing the Sex Pistols to play under one of their other names unless they did it as a closed session?

The SPOTS tour (Secret Pistols On Tour) was around August 1977.

Attached picture 100-genuine-ticket-cancelled-sex_360_779ea3212d2d30b68edabc9b620a00bd.jpg
Attached picture CsQafWFWAAAs2jB.jpg large.jpg
Posted By: StringyBob Re: Memories of Digby's Club? - 13th Mar 2019 10:49pm
German heavy rockers Scorpions also played Digby's.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Memories of Digby's Club? - 16th Apr 2019 10:08am
Yes, I'd just spotted a report on that elsewhere. What a venue, was a real 'scene' while it lasted and a pound got you in!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral