Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Empress of Canada - 16th Dec 2011 10:09pm
Forgotten about the Empress of Canada - good reminder thumbsup would love to see some more pics

Attached picture Empress_of_Canada_Fire.jpg
Attached picture liverpool-docks-salvage-of-the-empress-of-canada-in-1954-620-477204781.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Empress of Canada - 17th Dec 2011 8:10am
Empress of Canada 1961.

Attached picture canada.jpg
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Empress of Canada - 17th Dec 2011 8:29am
Originally Posted by bert1
Empress of Canada 1961.

That's the 'new' Epress of Canada which made her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Canada on 24th April 1961. The one that caught fire in the No 1 branch of Gladston Dock on 25th January 1953 was built as the Duchess of Richmond in 1928, and became the second Empress of Canada following a re-fit in 1947.

Attached picture empresscanada2.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Empress of Canada - 17th Dec 2011 8:42am
As a young lad I went for a few runs on the Overhead, just to get a good view of the blackend hulk of the Empress of Canada in Glastone (I think) Dock. From memory, she lay on her side for ages before she was righted.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Empress of Canada - 17th Dec 2011 9:01am
It took more than a year to re-float the Empress, she was finally winched upright, after removal of masts and funnels, in March 1954 and re-floated in May of the same year. She was then towed to Genoa for breaking up.

Attached picture canada2.jpg
Attached picture Canada1.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Empress of Canada - 17th Dec 2011 9:02am
Here you go Pinz.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=31694
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Empress of Canada - 17th Dec 2011 9:11am
Brilliant ! Thanks Bert/upton.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Empress of Canada - 17th Dec 2011 12:10pm
Seem to remember watching the 'Empresses' in and out of the river as a child. We used to call them the 'banana boats'.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Empress of Canada - 17th Dec 2011 12:30pm
I'm curious why she keeled over, or was she purposely scuttled to reduce risk of the fire spreading around the dock?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Empress of Canada - 17th Dec 2011 12:40pm
From memory (scratch scratch) she keeled over due to massive amount of water poured into her to try and get to the seat of the fire. I don't think the fire was put out until she went glug-glug into the dock!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Empress of Canada - 17th Dec 2011 12:43pm
Ta thumbsup
Posted By: Colgo Re: Empress of Canada - 17th Dec 2011 12:46pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
I'm curious why she keeled over, or was she purposely scuttled to reduce risk of the fire spreading around the dock?

Full story HERE
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Empress of Canada - 17th Dec 2011 12:55pm
Wow, that's comprehensive, good find thumbsup
Posted By: Historybook Re: Empress of Canada - 17th Dec 2011 1:28pm
My Uncle served on the Empress of Canada, he was adrift for 3 days in a lifeboat before being picked up, he was found to be to young to serve !. when he reached the required age he then served in malaya.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Empress of Canada - 17th Dec 2011 2:18pm
Originally Posted by Historybook
My Uncle served on the Empress of Canada, he was adrift for 3 days in a lifeboat before being picked up, he was found to be to young to serve !. when he reached the required age he then served in malaya.

That would be the first Empress of Canada.

copied from elsewhere.
RMS Empress of Canada (1922), a 21,517-ton 653-foot (199 m) ship built in Glasgow, Scotland; Vancouver-based ship served the Far East; served as troopship in World War II; torpedoed and sunk off Africa by an Italian submarine in 1943; 392 of 1,800 aboard perished
RMS Empress of Canada (1928), originally the Duchess of Richmond; served as troopship in World War II; renamed Empress of Canada in 1947; caught fire and capsized in Liverpool in 1953; scrapped the following year
RMS Empress of Canada (1961), transatlantic liner providing service between Canada and the United Kingdom during the summer and cruising from New York City to the Caribbean in the winter; made 121 Atlantic crossings before being sold to Carnival Cruise Lines in 1971; later Mardi Gras, and Apollo
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Empress of Canada - 20th Dec 2011 9:44am
From a postcard - the 1928 Empress of Canada in happier times, seen with what must be a very young Royal Iris.
The Empress capsized in 1953 and the Iris was introduced in 1951 - which narrows down the date of the postcard a bit.

Attached picture Liv-PierHead.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Empress of Canada - 20th Dec 2011 11:52am
I wonder what the vessel ahead of the Empress was? She has a classic look to her. An old Cunarder ? An I.O.M. steamer astern of the Empress.

They don't make them like that any more. Just slab sided floating blocks of flats. Sad.
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Empress of Canada - 20th Dec 2011 12:13pm
Wondered that too, Pinz - could be the Scythia or Samaria?
See Clicky...

Speaking of Cunarder's - remindes me of the old joke:

Lady 1 - "My Husband works for Cunard"
Lady 2 - "Oh, really? My Husband works fairly hard too"
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Empress of Canada - 20th Dec 2011 12:22pm
A great link. Thanks. The way some of the great liners were fitted out - amazing. Opulence and some...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral