Forums
Posted By: ResearcherTony Wirral History : Did you know? - 15th Dec 2011 6:18pm
Sorry guys its a copy and paste job but some brilliant facts so thought it deserves to be put up.

Wirral had the first commercial hovercraft service in Great Britain which operated from Moreton in 1962.

Thomas Henry Ismay the founder of the White Star Line which built the Titanic, lived and died on the
Wirral.

William of Orange launched his main task force to attack Ireland from the Wirral ports of Hoylake and
Denhall.

Wirral is said to be the site of the bloodiest battle ever fought Britain. It is reputed to have taken place
in around the Bebbington and Brombrough area, it was known as the battle of Brunburgh.

The first shot of WW1 was fired from the Wirral. It was shot from one of the guns on Fort Perch Rock
as a warning across the bow of a Norwegian vessel just 30 minutes after war had been declared. The
officer in charge of the Fort was Major Charles John Luya. (1870 - 1933). He was a dental surgeon from
Wallasey, who had joined the Territorial Army and risen to the rank of Major.

Birkenhead Park was the first municipal park open to the public in the United Kingdom. The park was
so much of a success that Central Park in New York was based upon its design.

Brigadier Philip John Denton Toosey, (12 August 1904 – 22 December 1975) was the senior Allied officer
in the Japanese prisoner of war camp at Tamarkan in Thailand during World War II. The men at this
camp built the Bridge on the River Kwai. His character was immortalised by Alec Guinness in the film.

The legend of Canute holding back the sea was said to have taken place at Moreton in Wirral. A
Canute Chair was present there up until the 1950s.

Wirral has the highest amount of Grade 2 listed buildings outside of London.

The tidal activity research for the D Day landings were taken from Bidston Observatory.

The first commando raid was carried out at Zeebrugge by the Iris and Daffodil, of the Wallasey ferries in

Wallasey Ferry Service was the first in the world to have Radar.

The Waltons from Wallasey were Britains first Sextuplets to survive.

The New Brighton palace was the first indoor amusement arcade in the country.

Wallaseys life boat the Duke of Northumberland, was the worlds first Steam Jet Lifeboat.

Mary Elizabeth Williams of Moreton, was the first female lighthouse keeper in Britain.

The mole was used to bore the Wallasey tunnel was the first to be used in Britain.

The New Brighton Tower was the highest building in Britain at the time, standing at 621 feet high.

New Brighton Swimming Baths was the largest aquatic stadium in the world and also the largest open
air pool in Europe.

New Brighton Tower Ballroom stage was the largest in the world at 3240 feet.

Wirral has the longest Promenade in Britain.

Leasowe Lighthouse built in 1763, is the oldest surviving lighthouse in Britain
Posted By: janjan Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 15th Dec 2011 6:37pm
Wow! It's fantastic that wirral has so much interesting history..really makes you proud to live here. I hope at least some of this knowledge is being passed on to the children in wirral schools. Thanks for the post, very informative.
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 15th Dec 2011 6:49pm
it is a wonderful place and as i say to my friends in liverpool we also have the nicer view across the river.

im proud of coming from new brighton.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 15th Dec 2011 10:54pm
This is fabulous stuff. I travel all over the country with my job and consider myself to be a great ambassador for The Wirral (capital "T") Can you email me this please? I am at [email protected]. I will use it for my after-dinner speaking.
Posted By: reddragon Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 15th Dec 2011 11:15pm
Fantastic info
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 15th Dec 2011 11:35pm
Originally Posted by FiremanFil
This is fabulous stuff. I travel all over the country with my job and consider myself to be a great ambassador for The Wirral (capital "T") Can you email me this please? I am at [email protected]. I will use it for my after-dinner speaking.

copy and paste it to microsoft word mate
Posted By: ChrisJ Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 16th Dec 2011 12:06am
Great Facts, I have that particular page bookmarked.

More interesting facts.....

101 Interesting facts about Mersey Ferries
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 16th Dec 2011 12:19am
Where have my earlier posts on this thread gone? I realise some were off topic but to just remove them without even telling me is a bit off, don't you think?

Admin : Removed Due to being off topic. We do like to keep history topics "on topic"
It would also be nice if the topic stayed on topic.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 16th Dec 2011 7:57am
It should be stated, the shot fired from Perch Rock was possibly the first British shot, don't want people thinking Wirral started the war. Apparently it hit a beach in Liverpool, thankfully our aim got better.
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 16th Dec 2011 12:29pm
Originally Posted by bert1
It should be stated, the shot fired from Perch Rock was possibly the first British shot, don't want people thinking Wirral started the war. Apparently it hit a beach in Liverpool, thankfully our aim got better.

Thank god for that hey Bert. Was it a shot in panic or an time aimed shot?
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 16th Dec 2011 1:00pm
Originally Posted by ResearcherTony
Originally Posted by bert1

Thank god for that hey Bert. Was it a shot in panic or an time aimed shot?

Apparently it was meant to be a warning shot across the bow of a Norwegian ship that failed to stop when ordered to. Unfortunately it landed in the sandhills at Crosby because the gun’s elevation was too high! The shell was found by a resident who handed it in to Seaforth Battery where it was given a place of honour in the mess room with a plaque marked ‘A present from New Brighton’

A second shot was fired but it hit the bow of an Allen liner which was at anchor. Not a very successful day’s work!

Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 16th Dec 2011 1:23pm
Thanks nightwalker very detailed response, much appreciated. was the person firing the cannon, sampling the alcohol to keep warm?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 16th Dec 2011 1:27pm
The aim of a warning shot is to land in the water in close proximity of the ship one is trying to warn and not frighten the life out of someone blowing their lilo bed up on a beach, if it doesn't land in the water a blank may as well be fired or get your best top tenor to shot bang. Then to fire another shot into the bow of an anchored ship is a piece of history best forgotten.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 16th Dec 2011 10:59pm
Wirral is a wonderful place. Don't know if the following will be of interest to anybody.

Thomas Ismay lived at Thurstaston and has a plaque in Thurstaston Church. He was also resposible for blowing up the rock between Thurstaston and West Kirby for a road to run through.

King William and his Queen, stopped at Gayton Hall on their way to Hoylake. Two trees were planted to commemorate their visit, which still stand to this day.

I believe that it is Birkenhead that has the most Grade II buildings outside London not Wirral in general.

Birkenhead Park was designed by Joseph Paxton which I think is something to be proud of.
Posted By: mikethetrainman Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 17th Dec 2011 11:02am
Thanks tony for the interesting things about the wirral, i was born in plymouth 1960 moved up here in 1965 i,am now 51. My mum is from tranmere and my dad was from dingle [royal navy] and you know what i like living here what a great place the wirral is to live in! cheers mike...ann..x. thumbsup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 17th Dec 2011 12:10pm
Yes, Thomas Ismay paid for the rock cutting to blown up/excavated to form the present road. The original road would have gone past the Hall carrying the lower orders and general riff-raff. That would never do of course!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 17th Dec 2011 12:22pm
Similar to Billy Lever re-arranging the M53.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 17th Dec 2011 3:28pm
To add some more info. about Thomas Ismay. He was chairman of the White Star line (Titanic).
The house he built, "Dawpool", was at the junction of Telegraph Rd. and Station Rd., Thurstaton. Here's a couple of pictures from the book "Merchant Palaces" photographed by Bedford Lemere.
The marble pillars from the massive fireplace still exist in the entrance to the Kingsland Cabaret on Borough Rd.
http://g.co/maps/vyk9w

Attached picture P1000378.jpg
Attached picture P1000379.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 17th Dec 2011 3:31pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Similar to Billy Lever re-arranging the M53.

What did he do, DD?
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 17th Dec 2011 3:32pm
amazing pics once again chris, thank you
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 17th Dec 2011 10:38pm
Wasn't it something about him not wanting to see it so he had them build it below ground level.
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 3:30pm
Originally Posted by mikethetrainman
Thanks tony for the interesting things about the wirral, i was born in plymouth 1960 moved up here in 1965 i,am now 51. My mum is from tranmere and my dad was from dingle [royal navy] and you know what i like living here what a great place the wirral is to live in! cheers mike...ann..x. thumbsup

the amount of information that i keep finding from this history forum is excellent, can not wait till i finish uni and can concentrate more on local stuff.

i can see myself in the archives quite often down at cheshire lines building as well as earlston library.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 3:51pm
i can see myself in the archives quite often down at cheshire lines building as well as earlston library.

...best take a pencil and paper with you Tony. You can't 'cut and paste' with original documents...
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 3:57pm

the amount of information that i keep finding from this history forum is excellent, can not wait till i finish uni and can concentrate more on local stuff.

Will they allow you to graduate before you've learned what the shift key is for?
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 4:07pm
Well, when you have a broken keyboard, it can be awkward sometimes!
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 4:08pm
Originally Posted by geekus

...best take a pencil and paper with you Tony. You can't 'cut and paste' with original documents...

Tracing paper could work?
Posted By: Geekus Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 4:14pm
Tracing paper could work?

Tony, Tony, Tony....tut, tut, tut!

Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 4:20pm
The original cut and paste before computers!
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 4:21pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
To add some more info. about Thomas Ismay. He was chairman of the White Star line (Titanic).
The house he built, "Dawpool", was at the junction of Telegraph Rd. and Station Rd., Thurstaton. Here's a couple of pictures from the book "Merchant Palaces" photographed by Bedford Lemere.
The marble pillars from the massive fireplace still exist in the entrance to the Kingsland Cabaret on Borough Rd.
http://g.co/maps/vyk9w
Omg love the fireplace its outstanding.
i can imagine me sitting in front of that with my mince pie and sherry in xmas morning!
Posted By: rocks Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 4:31pm
great photos and facts, my livingroom is the size of that whole fireplace! ha
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 4:37pm
i was thinking that as well lol my kitchen is that size laugh we can dream though cant we
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 5:29pm
consider myself to be a great ambassador for The Wirral (capital "T")

I was taught it was either "Wirral" or "The Wirral Peninsula".
Posted By: yoller Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 6:01pm
Dead right, chriskay ... never say The Wirral, it's always Wirral.
Posted By: rocks Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 6:23pm
i nearly got a xmas card to send abroad and im sure it had seasons greetings from The Wirral ooo i'll have to check it out now when im next in town
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 8:01pm
Britains first Training Centre for Guide Dogs was opened in Wallasey in 1931
and
Norman Thelwell the illustrator of humerous ponies was born in Birkenhead as was another famous illustrator Harry B Neilson.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 9:18pm
Not forgetting the famous artist Phillip Wilson Steer born in Grange Mount, Birkenhead.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 9:42pm
Leasowe Castle was home to the first St. Bernard dog in the UK

Sir Edward Elgar’s ‘Minuet’ was premiered in the Tower Theatre on 16 July 1899. Elgar orchestrated and performed it with Granville Bantock’s orchestra

The UK mainland attendance record for a Beatles show was at the Tower Ballroom on November 24 1961, estimated as 4,500

Wallasey was the first municipal authority to introduce Atlantean buses
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 10:13pm
[Sir Edward Elgar’s ‘Minuet’ was premiered in the Tower Theatre on 16 July 1899. Elgar orchestrated and performed it with Granville Bantock’s orchestra [/quote]

That IS something impressive. I wonder how it was received.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 10:49pm
Cheshire - Wirral became part of Cheshire after the death of Alfred in 901 and the Kingdom of Merica was divided up into administrative districts called ‘shires’. The Wirral became part of Chester’s shire.

The first Celtic Christian churches were established on the Wirral in 5th Century A.D. There were three churches - Landican (St Tegan), Wallasey (St Hilary) and West Kirby (St Bridget) all dedicated to Celtic Saints.

In the 1650’s Wirral was Royalist during the Civil War.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 11:34pm
This may need a little translation, but it's not too hard.

Talk about walking on thin ice Transcentral!

7] SEVEBB FB0ST8 IN 1607 AND 1688.

The following extracts from the Begisters of
Wallasey, published in Mr. E. M. Haoce's admirable
paper on that parish io Vol. 85 of the Transactions
of the Lancashire and Cheshire Historic Society
throw light on two 17th century winteis.

**Mem*dum. In the yeare of o* lord god 1607
there was a great frost that people did goe over the
Poole (over against Poolto'), vppon the yce

(at a full

« Memorand' that in the year 1688 there was A
great ffoet soe that people went over the pooli any
where at any time of the tide and It was thought
by seuerall that a man at A low water at some time
xnight have gone to IHuerpoole : all passage out oc
these pts to Liuerpoole was by Warrington or
ifidlers feny, where they went over on Ise, there
wss noe getting to the Market till the 9th of ffeb

Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 11:42pm
oldest tree in eastham? Eastham, Merseyside - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Posted By: Geekus Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 19th Dec 2011 11:46pm
Here you go TC...

http://www.gavinrymill.com/flaybrick/greattrees/easthamyew.html

Reputedly one of the oldest trees in the country.

Click on the small picture of the plaque.
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 12:07am
Originally Posted by granny
This may need a little translation, but it's not too hard.

Talk about walking on thin ice Transcentral!

7] SEVEBB FB0ST8 IN 1607 AND 1688.

The following extracts from the Begisters of
Wallasey, published in Mr. E. M. Haoce's admirable
paper on that parish io Vol. 85 of the Transactions
of the Lancashire and Cheshire Historic Society
throw light on two 17th century winteis.

**Mem*dum. In the yeare of o* lord god 1607
there was a great frost that people did goe over the
Poole (over against Poolto'), vppon the yce

(at a full

« Memorand' that in the year 1688 there was A
great ffoet soe that people went over the pooli any
where at any time of the tide and It was thought
by seuerall that a man at A low water at some time
xnight have gone to IHuerpoole : all passage out oc
these pts to Liuerpoole was by Warrington or
ifidlers feny, where they went over on Ise, there
wss noe getting to the Market till the 9th of ffeb

were did you get that from?
Posted By: kimpri Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 12:16am
clicky
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 12:24am
Originally Posted by kimpri1

brill thanks, i was just confused by the bad spelling
Posted By: Geekus Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 12:26am
Be carefull using that transcript, it's full of errors. You can get the original printed version of 'Wirral Notes & Queries' at most local libraries.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 1:07am
Originally Posted by kimpri1

brill thanks, i was just confused by the bad spelling

Old English Tony,with a few transcript errors!
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 11:31am
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
oldest tree in eastham? Eastham, Merseyside - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Yew tree. Once used to make poison for arrow heads,and nearly every Church yard in the country had one!! Ironically it's now used to make poison for making cancer sufferers better.
I was told that all the yew tree clippings from Ness Gardens are collected for this purpose but I don't know how true.
There are some huge Yew trees in the grounds of Ruthin Castle but I don't think they are as old as Easham
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 12:25pm
Be carefull using that transcript, it's full of errors. You can get the original printed version of 'Wirral Notes & Queries' at most local libraries.

was going to say when i did English Lit (poems & Short Stories) and stuff on the Civil War, they could spell alot better than that from the same era.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 4:07pm
The Yew tree. Once used to make poison for arrow heads,and nearly every Church yard in the country had one!! Ironically it's now used to make poison for making cancer sufferers better.

On a seasonal note, mistletoe is also now being used to cure cancer.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/mistletoe/patient/page2

Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 5:30pm

On a seasonal note, mistletoe is also now being used to cure cancer.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/mistletoe/patient/page2

Ooooo. I did not know that. There are a lot of very clever people out there. I shall have a look at that website later. Thanks.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 5:33pm
p.s. Did you know - you now look as if you have an affliction? I'll probably get an offiial warning or struck off for that!
Posted By: cathcart Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 6:17pm
dont forget amongst all the things mentioned about firsts,the greatest centre forward ever,william ralph dean was born in birkenhead,as i was.thats The birkenhead,with a capital T,in cheshire,not the wirral on my birth certificate !!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 7:19pm
Originally Posted by cathcart
dont forget amongst all the things mentioned about firsts,the greatest centre forward ever,william ralph dean was born in birkenhead,as i was.thats The birkenhead,with a capital T,in cheshire,not the wirral on my birth certificate !!!!!!!!!!

i think greatest centre forward is a bit dramatic, he only holds the record for the most goals in a season, but never really won any major honours like a world cup or european cup, that is how greatness is defined!
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 7:41pm

i think greatest centre forward is a bit dramatic, he only holds the record for the most goals in a season, but never really won any major honours like a world cup or european cup, that is how greatness is defined!

What utter nonsense. That's like saying the Beatles can't be regarded as great because they never won the X factor.
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 7:48pm
Originally Posted by nightwalker

What utter nonsense. That's like saying the Beatles can't be regarded as great because they never won the X factor.

winning the xfactor is no great achievement, it is merely a talent contest. he will only be seen as the greatest ever strike in the eyes of everton fans, to everyone else he was just another striker, nothing special.
Posted By: Helles Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 8:39pm
Not heard the one about Yew trees making poison. They certainly made bows out of Yew?
Posted By: kimpri Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 8:50pm
British Poisonous Plants & Shrubs
clicky
Posted By: cathcart Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 8:56pm
what a daft statement tony!! there was no european cup,weve only won the world cup once,how many great players in that team? tom finney and a lot of other truly great players never won anything.william ralph is one of birkenheads jewels,the scousers even built a statue in honour of him,something that his home town should have done for its most famous son.
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 20th Dec 2011 9:01pm
i was using the likes of the world cup when comparing to players like pele and maradonna.

im not denying he was a good player, i was arguing the debate on the statement of "the greatest ever"
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 21st Dec 2011 3:13am
Originally Posted by Helles
Not heard the one about Yew trees making poison. They certainly made bows out of Yew?

Here you are.No wonder it was a 'must have' tree.

http://www.shee-eire.com/Herbs,Trees&Fungi/Trees/Yew/yew1.htm

HISTORY: The oldest known wooden implement is a spear made of yew wood, about 50,000 years old, from Clacton-on-Sea, England.

Archeological excavations have found yew bows and knives in Swiss lake dwellings from 10,000 years ago. Historically, yew bows were the weapon of choice for both hunting and warfare throughout most of Europe until the invention of firearms.

Yew was also employed as a poison, used for assassination, suicide, as an arrow poison, and to poison fish and mammals.

Due to its hardness, it was used for shuttles, cogs, axle-trees, and pulley-pins. The colorful wood (red heartwood, white sapwood) was used to veneer furniture, to make lute bodies, bowls, tankards, combs, tool handles, pegs, and various art objects. It was used in many ways by various religions, and certain yew objects such as drinking-cups are still regarded as having a certain spiritual potency.

Yew forests were once common in France and Germany. The wood of the English Yew was used for bows by Celtic and Teutonic warriors, a practice which eventually led to the demise of the great Yew forests of Western Europe. In Teutonic areas the Yew had important symbolic significance. A judge's staff was made of its wood and Yew was planted in graveyards as a form of protection from malevolent spirits. Its needles were also used in rituals to communicate with the dead.

Posted By: Helles Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 21st Dec 2011 8:56am
Originally Posted by Helles

Here you are.No wonder it was a 'must have' tree.

http://www.shee-eire.com/Herbs,Trees&Fungi/Trees/Yew/yew1.htm

HISTORY: The oldest known wooden implement is a spear made of yew wood, about 50,000 years old, from Clacton-on-Sea, England.

Archeological excavations have found yew bows and knives in Swiss lake dwellings from 10,000 years ago. Historically, yew bows were the weapon of choice for both hunting and warfare throughout most of Europe until the invention of firearms.

Yew was also employed as a poison, used for assassination, suicide, as an arrow poison, and to poison fish and mammals.

Due to its hardness, it was used for shuttles, cogs, axle-trees, and pulley-pins. The colorful wood (red heartwood, white sapwood) was used to veneer furniture, to make lute bodies, bowls, tankards, combs, tool handles, pegs, and various art objects. It was used in many ways by various religions, and certain yew objects such as drinking-cups are still regarded as having a certain spiritual potency.

Yew forests were once common in France and Germany. The wood of the English Yew was used for bows by Celtic and Teutonic warriors, a practice which eventually led to the demise of the great Yew forests of Western Europe. In Teutonic areas the Yew had important symbolic significance. A judge's staff was made of its wood and Yew was planted in graveyards as a form of protection from malevolent spirits. Its needles were also used in rituals to communicate with the dead.

Can't see us using it as an arrow poison. Very un-British and probably outlawed by the Geneva convention. smirk
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 27th Dec 2011 11:25am
A slightly 'seasonal' bit of information.

The worlds best selling book of all time is..... The Bible.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 27th Dec 2011 11:33am
A slightly 'seasonal' bit of information.

The worlds best selling book of all time is..... The Bible.

I wouldn't mind betting, the people who have bought it, haven't read it cover to cover.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 27th Dec 2011 11:57am
I've read "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran. Says much the same thing in much less pages. I was even allowed to read a passage from it at my friend's funeral-which speaks volumes for the Roman Catholic priest who conducted the service. If only all clergymen could be so understanding of other's religions. By the way-I'm not a member of any religion. Just believe in God.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 27th Dec 2011 12:52pm
The worlds best selling book of all time is..... The Bible. [/quote]

I wouldn't mind betting, the people who have bought it, haven't read it cover to cover.[/quote]

I have. The Old Testament can be a bit hard going but Liverpool Anglican Cathedral has 'Supper with the Scriptures'which is the best explanation I have heard for some time:

Supper With the Scriptures - (weekly - Monday Evenings) Block 2 - Opening session for 2012
Education
Sir Giles Gilbert Scott Function Suite

09th January 2012 19:00 - 20:00
Join us on Monday evenings for free supper and an exploration of the Bible in a welcoming atmosphere. Open to all.

Supper with the Scriptures begins on Monday 12th January 2012 and runs from 7-8 pm.

A small snack will be provided free of cost, and parking is also free. You can arrive from 6.30pm.

Supper With the Scriptures explores theological themes as well as contemporary issues of faith and life.

It will ask difficult questions and will seek to address the walk of discipleship. You do not need to be an expert in the Bible to attend - people who are not churchgoers but are interested in knowing more about the Bible as a cultural and literary document are very welcome. There will also be lots of time for questions and discussion.

Clergy, pastors and readers who may not be able to attend Breakfast With the Bible are also most welcome to attend. The studies are led by the Reverend Canon Dr Jules Gomes, Dwelly Raven Canon and Lecturer in Biblical Studies at Liverpool Hope University.

Jules has a PhD in Old Testament from the University of Cambridge and has written five books and a number of academic articles on biblical topics. He uses the most recent as well as traditional methods in biblical scholarship to teach the Bible from the perspectives of literature, history and theology. The studies also draw attention to the use and interpretation of the Bible in music, art and film.

The studies are currently on the book of Genesis and will continue through the Old Testament seeking to make connections with the New Testament along the way.

The teaching will explore theological themes as well as contemporary issues of faith and life, and use the latest biblical scholarship alongside references to original Hebrew and Greek texts.

(Please note these sessions will cover the same material as Breakfast With the Bible each week - Supper with the Scriptures is designed to provide an alternate day and time for those unable to make Sunday mornings)

The sessions taught so far are now online and may be accessed at www.liverpoolcathedral.org.uk/breakfastwiththebible

For more information please contact [email protected]

Dates for your diary:

Block 2 - 9th January - 26th March 2012
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 27th Dec 2011 1:10pm
[quote=FiremanFil]I've read "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran.

I have read all twenty three of Gibran's works.

Now I prefer reading the works of Rabindranath Tagore such as 'Gitanjali' ISBN 0-333-42217-1
'Rabindranath Tagore Selected Poems' ISBN978-0-14-018366-5

'The Hound of Heaven' By Francis Thompson
'Markings' by Dag Hammarskjold

The above are mystical spiritual works.

I also have a collection of Carribean Literature, writings and poetry to include the works of Derek Walcott, Kwame Dawes, Tupac Shakur, Robert Beckford, Colin Channer and Contempory Black british Poetry .
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 27th Dec 2011 4:21pm
Interesting. I might turn up. In the meantime, here is a poem I wrote some tears ago. I think it may strike a chord....

A PRAYER FOR ME.

Oh, Lord, I think my place in life
Is not in congregation
I do believe to pray alone
Will always be my station.

This doesn't mean I love you
Any less than any other
More that I see you in a
Different light to "other" brothers.

You see, Dear Lord, to find your love,
I've entered in a search
Which hasn't led to peace of mind
Within the walls of church

I think it not a sacrilege
To speak in such a way
More personal quest in differing prayer
Amidst uncertainty

Dear Lord, I'd love to find my peace
In strength of human numbers
But would so many magnify my chance
In final slumber

A chance to be united with
The dream I hold so dear
The dream of you which will, or won't
Be proved when death is near

I think not, God-the more I
Try to find you, I am sure
It will not matter how, or when
You find me a death's door

Nor trouble me if I should be
Alone in final plea
I know that you'll be there to give
Undying love to me.

You can discuss that at your meeting if you like, pax. It is based on my experiences of life and my complete rejection of religion. :-)
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 27th Dec 2011 4:39pm
That is so beautiful Fil. Straight from the heart!
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 27th Dec 2011 4:58pm
:-) Thanks, Granny!!
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 27th Dec 2011 11:11pm
Thanks Fil for your poem.

Everyone has their own path in life, and organised religion is not for some as per this verse from 'The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam'

'And this I know: whether the one true light,
Kindle to Love, or Wrath consume me quite,
One glimpse of It within the Tavern caught
better than in the Temple outright'.

Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 27th Dec 2011 11:35pm
Interesting. I might turn up. In the meantime, here is a poem I wrote some tears ago. I think it may strike a chord....

A PRAYER FOR ME.

Oh, Lord, I think my place in life
Is not in congregation
I do believe to pray alone
Will always be my station.

This doesn't mean I love you
Any less than any other
More that I see you in a
Different light to "other" brothers.

You see, Dear Lord, to find your love,
I've entered in a search
Which hasn't led to peace of mind
Within the walls of church

I think it not a sacrilege
To speak in such a way
More personal quest in differing prayer
Amidst uncertainty

Dear Lord, I'd love to find my peace
In strength of human numbers
But would so many magnify my chance
In final slumber

A chance to be united with
The dream I hold so dear
The dream of you which will, or won't
Be proved when death is near

I think not, God-the more I
Try to find you, I am sure
It will not matter how, or when
You find me a death's door

Nor trouble me if I should be
Alone in final plea
I know that you'll be there to give
Undying love to me.

You can discuss that at your meeting if you like, pax. It is based on my experiences of life and my complete rejection of religion. :-)
FF that`s beautiful smile
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 28th Dec 2011 3:03am
:-) Thanks, GJ!! (Just seen a print error-last line of 7 should read "At" death's door). I'm thinking of getting it published as it seems to strike a note with many people of different faiths.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 28th Dec 2011 10:47am
Originally Posted by paxvobiscum
Thanks Fil for your poem.

Everyone has their own path in life, and organised religion is not for some as per this verse from 'The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam'

'And this I know: whether the one true light,
Kindle to Love, or Wrath consume me quite,
One glimpse of It within the Tavern caught
better than in the Temple outright'.

Thanks for that, Granny; the Rubaiyat is (are?) one of my favourites. A word missing from the last line though.
"Better than in the temple lost outright"
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 28th Dec 2011 11:10am
Well done, Chris. I haven't read Omar's work-but I had a feeling there was something missing from Granny's post-maybe just a typo, though!! :-)
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 28th Dec 2011 1:54pm
Fil; if I judge your philosophy correctly, I think you'd get a lot out of Omar Khayyam.
http://www.therubaiyat.com/fitzindex.htm

"The ball no question makes of Ayes or Noes,
But right or left, as strikes the player, goes,
But He that tossed thee down into the field,
He knows about it all, He knows, He knows".
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 28th Dec 2011 2:54pm
Thanks Chriskay.I missed the vital word out
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 29th Dec 2011 11:40am
Hi, Did you know I have just started a 'Poets Corner' on Lifestyle. Maybe useful for some. Maybe someone could start a 'Philosopher's Bench' I am sure that would be well used!
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 29th Dec 2011 11:48am
And did you know that the Worlds second best selling book is......'Quotations from Cairman Mao' by Mao Tse-Tung. 900 million (Bible 6 Billion)

A staggering thought that he was resposible for the deaths of between 40 and 70 million people!
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 29th Dec 2011 12:06pm
Sorry. That's Chairman Mao missed the 'h' out
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 29th Dec 2011 1:11pm
I've got a copy somewhere.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 13th Jan 2012 3:03pm
info on ResesrcherTony's original post.

Wirral has the highest amount of Grade 2 listed buildings outside of London.

It is in fact Birkenhead

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/england/merseyside/birkenhead
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 13th Jan 2012 3:13pm
i saw that the other day Granny it surprised me i was even going to post that myself, but never mind you have done it thanks xx
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 13th Jan 2012 4:12pm
Great Minds TR
Posted By: cathcart Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 13th Jan 2012 5:51pm
resposible!!!!!! where did you learn chinese granny.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 13th Jan 2012 6:16pm
resposible!!!!!! where did you learn chinese granny.

Whoops! the fingers go faster than the brain sometimes, or is it the other way around? Ying tong.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 13th Jan 2012 8:01pm
iddle eye po !! (Won't mean much to young type people!)
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 13th Jan 2012 8:08pm
iddle eye po,iddle eye po!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 13th Jan 2012 8:46pm
That's it Bezzy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nebe1zuEtbc
Posted By: Tatey Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 14th Jan 2012 7:45am
I am glad to say that I have the Ying Tong song somewhere in this laptop.
Posted By: petethebike Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 14th Jan 2012 7:57am
Mao is still in second place on deaths caused as well then?
Posted By: petethebike Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 14th Jan 2012 8:01am
Did you know that a "speakers corner" area was situated between the old Egremont Ferry building and the southern slipway?
Posted By: Tatey Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 14th Jan 2012 8:31am
Yes.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 24th Jan 2012 8:01pm
Harold Wilson -Prime Minister,came to the area aged 16years and became Head Boy at Wirral Grammar School.
Posted By: Angharad111 Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 28th Jan 2012 7:57am
Mistletoe has been used since the 1978 for treatment of cancer. My ex fatherinlaw was being treated in London by Imperial Cancer Research. He had mistletoe injected into his back. Once a week. He agreed to be used as research. He passed away - but at least the research was found to be of benefit for the future.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 28th Jan 2012 8:41am
anybody read sherlock holmes books?

'The Adventure of the Cardboard Box'
was based in and around New Brighton
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 28th Jan 2012 8:43am
We all know the link between Mistletoe and a kiss but from a time when we used our lips to suck poison from a wound originated the saying, "Lets kiss it better"
Posted By: popeyepie Re: Wirral History : Did you know? - 8th Mar 2012 9:58pm
Originally Posted by eggandchips
anybody read sherlock holmes books?

'The Adventure of the Cardboard Box'
was based in and around New Brighton

will give it a read thank you
© Wirral-Wikiwirral