Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Liscard - 8th Dec 2011 9:19am

Liscard looking up Seaview Road. The Capitol takes centre stage. I think this was around mid 50s

Attached picture liscard.jpg
Posted By: buddy Re: Liscard - 8th Dec 2011 12:31pm
Queued outside the Capitol many times Pablo - thanks for posting
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Liscard - 8th Dec 2011 12:46pm
We used to go there when it was the ABC. They had a saturday morning club. The Royal too in King street
Posted By: Helles Re: Liscard - 8th Dec 2011 12:53pm
Has the ABC logo between the two Capitol words. What did it stand for Associated British Cinemas would be my guess?

Used to go to the matinee and occasionally to an adult film when I got older, same with the Royal but my local was the Court which was the sister cinema to the Royal.

Note there are no zebra crossings, just studs marking the pedestrian crossing. They obviously came later.
Posted By: sandstorm Re: Liscard - 8th Dec 2011 1:06pm
Looking at the cars in the photo it is a lot earlier than the 1950's. The car in the foreground is most definately 1930's, as the ones further down the road appear to be.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Liscard - 8th Dec 2011 1:14pm
did the island have public toilets at one stage ? I seem to recal seeing them soon after moving to liscard in 1978
Posted By: Helles Re: Liscard - 8th Dec 2011 2:08pm
Originally Posted by jabber
did the island have public toilets at one stage ? I seem to recal seeing them soon after moving to liscard in 1978

No. There were toilets there but disappeared many years ago. They were never there during my life.

It probably is the fifties but you have to remember that a lot of cars were laid up during the war but brought out after it. They would be mainly thirties style until the country got up and running again. I can remember them with running boards we used to jump on like gangsters. Pity we can't see what is on the pictures which might give us a clue. Blown it up but it pixilates.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Liscard - 8th Dec 2011 2:41pm
Originally Posted by sandstorm
Looking at the cars in the photo it is a lot earlier than the 1950's. The car in the foreground is most definately 1930's, as the ones further down the road appear to be.

Yes, they do seem a bit dated. That's the date on the photo
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Liscard - 8th Dec 2011 2:42pm

That was the Monkey House. They weren't there in the sixties. I believe they went when they built the new Wellie
Posted By: philmch Re: Liscard - 8th Dec 2011 4:03pm
Originally Posted by pablo42
We used to go there when it was the ABC. They had a saturday morning club.

Me too. It was The ABC Minors' Club on Saturday mornings in the mid 60s. I remember watching the original Flash Gordon films with Buster Crabbe. I used to go along with my friends. We were only 5 and were allowed to go on our own.
Posted By: Stingray Re: Liscard - 8th Dec 2011 6:30pm
I seem to remember when the roundabout was removed (in the 70's ?) that public toilets were unearthed
Posted By: JonHK Re: Liscard - 9th Dec 2011 11:06am
Does anyone remember the name of the toy shop opposite the ABC on the other side of the roundabout. It was there in the late 70's. all photos ive seen seem to be taken from every view apart from th eone im interested in?
Posted By: JonHK Re: Liscard - 9th Dec 2011 11:08am
Sorry all. I meant Capitol, not ABC?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard - 9th Dec 2011 12:41pm
If you would like to know more about the shops in Liscard (as well as Wallasey in general) then please visit my series on Shopping In Wallasey

http://www....co.uk/wallasey/Shopping_In_Wallasey_Index/index.html
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Liscard - 9th Dec 2011 1:01pm
Does anyone know what those things are on the roundabout, one is at the bottom of the picture. They look like lights? There is one similar on the crossing, so I presume them to be lights of some sort?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Liscard - 9th Dec 2011 1:06pm
Not lights; they're the old style Keep Left signs.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Liscard - 9th Dec 2011 1:07pm
Originally Posted by Helles
Pity we can't see what is on the pictures which might give us a clue. Blown it up but it pixilates.

I think you'll find the title is "Mine Own Executioner". Starred Burgess Meredith and Dulcie Gray, released in November 1947 in the UK.
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Liscard - 9th Dec 2011 1:43pm
Thanks chriskay, you learn on here!
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Liscard - 10th Dec 2011 1:45pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
If you would like to know more about the shops in Liscard (as well as Wallasey in general) then please visit my series on Shopping In Wallasey

http://www....co.uk/wallasey/Shopping_In_Wallasey_Index/index.html

Nice one Paul. Great site
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Liscard - 10th Dec 2011 1:47pm
Originally Posted by marty99fred
Originally Posted by Helles
Pity we can't see what is on the pictures which might give us a clue. Blown it up but it pixilates.

I think you'll find the title is "Mine Own Executioner". Starred Burgess Meredith and Dulcie Gray, released in November 1947 in the UK.

How the bloody hell can you see that? I can barely see the sodding picture house....
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Liscard - 10th Dec 2011 2:51pm
Was it "Kardoma" coffee house?. Up a bit from the Capital. Can still thr aroma of the coffee as you walked by. I remember when the Capital turned into a bingo hall to my Mums delight!
Posted By: Helles Re: Liscard - 10th Dec 2011 2:53pm
Originally Posted by softshoes
Was it "Kardoma" coffee house?. Up a bit from the Capital. Can still thr aroma of the coffee as you walked by. I remember when the Capital turned into a bingo hall to my Mums delight!

Coffee Roast.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Liscard - 10th Dec 2011 4:46pm

Not sure if the links will work but there is a strange being in these three photos

The pictures where taken sometime in the mid seventies

PB

Attached picture Liscard1.jpg
Attached picture Liscard2.jpg
Attached picture Liscard3.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Liscard - 10th Dec 2011 5:07pm
Nice photos PB.
Posted By: Stegga Re: Liscard - 10th Dec 2011 7:31pm
Great piccys but what the hell was Frankenstein doing in a christmas scene with Snow White and the seven dwarfs?
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Liscard - 10th Dec 2011 10:03pm
Originally Posted by Stegga
Great piccys but what the hell was Frankenstein doing in a christmas scene with Snow White and the seven dwarfs?

Bit of a story here, My brother used to work for a printing company in Liverpool during the 1970's and one day he came home with that 8ft poster of Frankenstein, it was Christmas time so for a laugh we pasted old Franky to a sheet of hardboard and stuck him in with snow white, it was quite amusing listening to the comments of passers-by because he obviously didn't fit in with snow white, Frankenstein remained on the roundabout for weeks.

PB
Posted By: petethebike Re: Liscard - 11th Dec 2011 8:05am
Could the photos have been taken in 1971?If they were there's a very good chance the Morris Oxford Estate in the 3rd photo was mine.I don't remember another in the area at the time.
To put the record straight,the figure is not Frankenstein,but his monster.End of pedant mode.
Posted By: Brown_Horrocks Re: Liscard - 11th Dec 2011 9:17am
On the second picture of the roundabout, the glazed building sticking out in the background was a paint and wallpaper supplier called 'Ellisons'. My mum used to work in the offices
Posted By: Helles Re: Liscard - 11th Dec 2011 9:36am
Originally Posted by Brown_Horrocks
On the second picture of the roundabout, the glazed building sticking out in the background was a paint and wallpaper supplier called 'Ellisons'. My mum used to work in the offices

My dad used to get all his paint and wallpaper from there. I often had to get the 14 bus to go for a can of walpamur or similar. Always had to tell them it was "trade".
Posted By: Stegga Re: Liscard - 11th Dec 2011 3:58pm
Originally Posted by paintboffin
Originally Posted by Stegga

Bit of a story here, My brother used to work for a printing company in Liverpool during the 1970's and one day he came home with that 8ft poster of Frankenstein, it was Christmas time so for a laugh we pasted old Franky to a sheet of hardboard and stuck him in with snow white, it was quite amusing listening to the comments of passers-by because he obviously didn't fit in with snow white, Frankenstein remained on the roundabout for weeks.

PB

Great story PB, him standing there for weeks is cool. So many people must have had a "What the f**k?" moment. Well done.
Posted By: torryman Re: Liscard - 11th Dec 2011 4:52pm
It became Fad's .
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Liscard - 11th Dec 2011 6:09pm
Originally Posted by petethebike
Could the photos have been taken in 1971?If they were there's a very good chance the Morris Oxford Estate in the 3rd photo was mine.I don't remember another in the area at the time.
To put the record straight,the figure is not Frankenstein,but his monster.End of pedant mode.

It could well be 1971 although I thought a year or two later but it does fit in with the short time I lived with my brother in Longview ave, (just off Liscard road) I was definitely working at Seaview road bus depot at the time.

Of course it is Frankensteins monster, but it was there so long we got used to calling it Frankie.

PB
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Liscard - 11th Dec 2011 6:10pm
I remember Fads too.

PB
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Liscard - 11th Dec 2011 6:23pm
Originally Posted by pablo42
Nice photos PB.

The photos where taken by my Brother, I remember him purchasing a Pentax from a camera shop in Grange road or was it Oxton road? and it cost £150 quid about the same time 1970's.
He was employed as a camera operator at Delagana and Denby in Edge Lane Liverpool and then Eric Bemrose so he needed a good camera.

Perhaps someone here can remember the camera shop?

I scanned the photo's ages ago, must say myself they are good quality taken well before the days of digital cameras.

PB
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Liscard - 11th Dec 2011 6:29pm
I remember watching Soylent Green at the Capitol, staring Charlton Heston, Chuck connors.

That was 1973.

PB
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Liscard - 11th Dec 2011 6:45pm
I always wondered what make the car was, so thanks for that.

PB
Posted By: chriskay Re: Liscard - 11th Dec 2011 6:59pm

The photos where taken by my Brother, I remember him purchasing a Pentax from a camera shop in Grange road or was it Oxton road? and it cost £150 quid about the same time 1970's.

Could have been Mc.Kenzies in Grange Rd. West.
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: Liscard - 11th Dec 2011 7:20pm

My mum worked in the shop & then went on to work in the Oxton Road & Laird Street branches . This would be from late 1960's 'til 1977 .
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Liscard - 11th Dec 2011 8:15pm
Originally Posted by chriskay

Could have been Mc.Kenzies in Grange Rd. West.

That rings a bell indeed it probably was Mc.Kenzies.
Cheers,

PB.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Liscard - 11th Dec 2011 9:32pm
Can't remember a "proper" camera shop in Grange Rd. or Oxton Rd.
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Liscard - 13th Dec 2011 7:09pm
it looked so much better then than it does now, but obviously ya have to move with the times (traffic flow).
Posted By: granny Re: Liscard - 29th Dec 2011 9:48pm
Can anyone please tell me if the houses in Pear Tree Grove, Liscard were known as Pear Tree Cottages or were they something different? I have seen the photo's etc posted on Wikiwirral of Pear Tree Grove and I assume that would be the name of the cottages but just need confirmation.
Thanks.
Posted By: kevinhit Re: Liscard - 29th Dec 2011 9:53pm
Think that was called Toners
Posted By: kevinhit Re: Liscard - 29th Dec 2011 9:56pm
Originally Posted by JonHK
Does anyone remember the name of the toy shop opposite the ABC on the other side of the roundabout. It was there in the late 70's. all photos ive seen seem to be taken from every view apart from th eone im interested in?

I think it was called Toners.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Liscard - 30th Dec 2011 12:41pm
Originally Posted by granny
Can anyone please tell me if the houses in Pear Tree Grove, Liscard were known as Pear Tree Cottages or were they something different? I have seen the photo's etc posted on Wikiwirral of Pear Tree Grove and I assume that would be the name of the cottages but just need confirmation.
Thanks.

Hi granny. They were always officially known as Pear Tree Grove. However, locally they were often referred to as the Pear Tree Cottages, right up to their demolition in the 1970s.
Posted By: granny Re: Liscard - 30th Dec 2011 12:49pm
Thanks Nightwalker. It's just that I have a birth certificate fron 1870's with place of birth as Pear Tree Cottages,Liscard. It's always been a puzzle to me, so you have clarified that for me now. Very grateful.
Posted By: Brown_Horrocks Re: Liscard - 30th Dec 2011 11:30pm
Originally Posted by kevinhit
Originally Posted by JonHK

I think it was called Toners.

I seem to remember Toners being further along Seaview Road, past where Lauries is now
Posted By: kevinhit Re: Liscard - 31st Dec 2011 12:08am
My memory fails me!! Wasnt there a stamp shop somewhere on Seaview road, by tsangs chippy?
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: Liscard - 31st Dec 2011 1:18am
Originally Posted by kevinhit
My memory fails me!! Wasnt there a stamp shop somewhere on Seaview road, by tsangs chippy?

Yes , he retired sometime in the mid '70's , then there was 'Wirral Philatelic Co.' on Brighton Street , opposite the municiple building , that closed early '80's , then there was another stamp shop on King Street for a couple of years in the mid '70's .
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Liscard - 31st Dec 2011 10:06am
in the late 70's onwards "peter toners" was up beyond lauries , possibly where the tattoo shop is now i think
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Liscard - 4th Jan 2012 2:02pm
Originally Posted by granny
Thanks Nightwalker. It's just that I have a birth certificate fron 1870's with place of birth as Pear Tree Cottages,Liscard. It's always been a puzzle to me, so you have clarified that for me now. Very grateful.

If the birth certificate says Pear Tree Cottages in the 1870s, it may not refer to Peartree Grove at all. There was at that time a pair of cottages called Pear Tree Cottages at the end of Rake Lane (the bit now named Liscard Village) roughly where the gap is giving access to the carpark between Roseby's/Bensons and Spring Gardens, the greengrocers, next door.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Liscard - 4th Jan 2012 2:08pm
in the late 70's onwards "peter toners" was up beyond lauries , possibly where the tattoo shop is now i think

Yeah, pretty sure it was where the tattoo shop is now. Anyone know when it closed? Used to love looking around in there when I was a child.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Liscard - 4th Jan 2012 3:44pm
phils tattoo shop has been there for around 12 years , i think it was still Toners before he took it on
© Wirral-Wikiwirral