Forums
Posted By: HistoricalTony D-Day Revisited - 19th Jul 2011 8:06am
My uncle faught in World War II and in 2009 went with the Royal Naval Association back to Normandy were operation overlord took place on 6th June 1994.

Whilst there a film crew followed him and his fellow veterans and recorded a trip entitled " The Last Boat To Normandy" this has just became available to purchase on Amazon, if anybody has any interest in the Second World War, the video can be purchased Here

The people who raise the money to take the veterans over each year have a website and they have a brief history of what they do each year with the veterans and theifr website can be viewed here

some of the stories available on the site of the veterans are truly remarkable, a must read for many interested.
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: D-Day Revisited - 19th Jul 2011 8:36am
appologies for some reason i put 1994 when obviously it was 1944 haha
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: D-Day Revisited - 19th Jul 2011 3:36pm
Interesting read .. hat comes off for your uncle,My late next door neighbor Billy Lamb nice bloke`always laughing was in the eighth Army chasing Rommel (Dessert rats) tell me is that King George V at the beginning who hated doing speeches` Respect
Posted By: yewgarth Re: D-Day Revisited - 19th Jul 2011 4:12pm
Originally Posted by HistoricalTony
appologies for some reason i put 1994 when obviously it was 1944 haha

No wonder it's called the last boat to Normandy lol, 1994 was a bit late. shocked shocked
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: D-Day Revisited - 19th Jul 2011 7:41pm
Originally Posted by Vanmanone
Interesting read .. hat comes off for your uncle,My late next door neighbor Billy Lamb nice bloke`always laughing was in the eighth Army chasing Rommel (Dessert rats) tell me is that King George V at the beginning who hated doing speeches` Respect

heh when i was 12 i went bck with him to normandy i used to wonder why he cried so much nd now i understnd why he hadnt been there since he ws in war, he landed on sword beach, my uncle is 87 nd is fitter thn me such n amazing man and he is like me dad, still tells me what to do hha
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: D-Day Revisited - 20th Jul 2011 10:33am

its actually was general monty i think
Posted By: chriskay Re: D-Day Revisited - 20th Jul 2011 11:05am
Originally Posted by HistoricalTony

its actually was general monty i think

Definitely wasn't George V; he died in 1936.
Oh, and what are dessert rats? On a stick & coated in toffee perhaps.
Or maybe deep fried with ice cream on the side. grin
Posted By: daveybm Re: D-Day Revisited - 22nd Jul 2011 8:25am
The Desert Rats was the nickname of the 7th Armoured Division.

Dave
Posted By: daggerman65 Re: D-Day Revisited - 22nd Jul 2011 10:36am
Taken from the Gerboas (small rodents) that were commonplace in the desert. It is still the (nick) name of 7 Armoured Brigade.
Posted By: Helles Re: D-Day Revisited - 22nd Jul 2011 3:09pm
George Vl had the speech impediment. Queens dad. Jerboas I think they are. Is 7 Armd Bde still going then? I was 20 Armd Bde at Detmold.
Posted By: bert1 Re: D-Day Revisited - 22nd Jul 2011 3:13pm
http://www.army.mod.uk/structure/9976.aspx
© Wirral-Wikiwirral