Forums
Posted By: chris7777 Old pop bottle tops - 17th Jul 2011 1:01pm
Another find in my garden............
remember the screw pop bottle tops? this one has 'A' on the top with B34 underneath it..........

Attached picture pb002.jpg
Attached picture pb001.jpg
Posted By: inflatablebone Re: Old pop bottle tops - 18th Jul 2011 1:46pm
Don't know if this is from one but I remember the Alpine Pop lorries that used to make deliveries...the drivers were nutters!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Old pop bottle tops - 18th Jul 2011 2:16pm
That top would have had a washer with it, don't recall pop bottles with internal thread, thats not to say there wasn't any,I would lean more towards old beer or cider bottles maybe.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Old pop bottle tops - 18th Jul 2011 2:48pm
i seem to remember pop bottles with screw tops like this,i remember when all the pop had gone i would suck the top to get any drops that were left on it!!!
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: Old pop bottle tops - 18th Jul 2011 4:42pm
I dug one up on the allotment last week -
'Greenall Whitley & Co.' around the edge 'Warrington' across
the centre , confirming bert's memory for beer bottles !
Posted By: torryman Re: Old pop bottle tops - 18th Jul 2011 9:18pm
I'm sure they were on pop bottles as well...maybe ginger beer or something like that...I can remember those tops...they were always matt finish like those "designer" biscuits you can buy now.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Old pop bottle tops - 19th Jul 2011 5:56am
Definitely a pop-bottle top. I remember them well.

Posted By: bert1 Re: Old pop bottle tops - 19th Jul 2011 6:49am
It seems that they are remembered as being used in many types of drinks, what i can't remember, did the bottles have internal threads or was this type of cap more like a cork that was just pushed in, was the cap made from a material that had a bit of give in it and expanded a little to form a seal.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Old pop bottle tops - 19th Jul 2011 6:53am
Originally Posted by bert1
It seems that they are remembered as being used in many types of drinks, what i can't remember, did the bottles have internal threads or was this type of cap more like a cork that was just pushed in, was the cap made from a material that had a bit of give in it and expanded a little to form a seal.

They were threaded.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Old pop bottle tops - 19th Jul 2011 7:54am
The 'other' sort of bottle top was the wire type which pushed the stopper into a rubber seal eg as the photo below (photo is of a mdoern version - found on a bottle of Australian curry sauce!!)

Snod

Attached picture DSCF1776-0032.JPG
Attached picture DSCF1775-0022.jpg
Attached picture DSCF1774-0012.jpg
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Old pop bottle tops - 19th Jul 2011 10:49am
snodvan i remember those tops too!!
Posted By: masterbun Re: Old pop bottle tops - 19th Jul 2011 10:56am
Lucozade had screw tops as I recall. Also Bulmer's Woodpecker
Posted By: chriskay Re: Old pop bottle tops - 19th Jul 2011 11:57am
When I was on holiday in the early 1940's in a village near Crewe one of my treats was to go to the village Post Office & shop & buy ginger beer in a stone bottle which had a screw top. The Lancashire Botanical Brewery used stone jars with screw tops too.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral