Forums
Posted By: Tatey Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 9th Jul 2011 5:43pm
Originally Posted by davew3
Georgy, I volunteer for the marine radio museum at Perch Rock fort, we get visitors from all over the world, visiting the little museums in the fort and the fort, but we get very few locals, when we do they are suprised to see what's going on ,we have had a few people come reminicing about wartime Ecky st and Sun st and Moreton etc, but yet see anyone from Lowther/Fox/Craven st, apart from the 1953 Coronation street party in Lowther st pictures that Dougy has, nowt nothing, but will keep an eye out and let you know.

I live in New Brighton & I visited when I donated a "Debeg" ships radio. Have you got it working yet, if so I will visit again!
Posted By: georgehayes Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 10th Jul 2011 6:16pm
Davey the only person to call me Georgy was me mam ,thats bye the
bye That thing you do at the fort sounds great , do you want an
assintant that would be great
I used to go down to the Albert Dock and i used to listen to the
guides and i thought i would love to do that job Theres something
about ships that fasinate me it must have been my upbringing
and were i worked
the old ships were full of style and beauty, these ships now look
like blocks of flats (ELDON GARDENS )
Posted By: davew3 Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 10th Jul 2011 7:46pm
Tatey will ask about the Debeg on Tuesday when I go there, the lads have been working on a few radios some with major problems, they want all the kit working, Iam stuck on getting a teleprinter working and when I get a bit of time etc.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 10th Jul 2011 8:02pm
George ok slap taken,we are still after volunteers to help out over the school hols, it's great fun talking to the visitors, we get some great stories, you won't need to do any repairs of kit as they are ex Marconi radio officers who had to repair kit on the ship, if you like local history and you want to tell people about it you will have a good time, you get some cracking questions, I go Tuesday and Friday after 11am but times to suit are not a problem, if your around give us a shout and come and meet the guys

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...ome_volunteers_at_Perch_.html#Post526573
Posted By: Tatey Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 11th Jul 2011 4:14am
Tatey will ask about the Debeg on Tuesday when I go there, the lads have been working on a few radios some with major problems, they want all the kit working, Iam stuck on getting a teleprinter working and when I get a bit of time etc.

Cheers mate!
Posted By: davew3 Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 12th Jul 2011 4:43pm
Tatey, spoke to John over the Debeg,it's split from the tx due to changes they did moving other kit about, both parts are next to each other and are on show,John says it was working before they split it, and it's on his maintainence roster to put it back together working as quote "soon as he gets this bloody emergency morse reciever unit working, some b'tards have knicked the bulbs etc, who knicked the bulbs" on that remark I walked away, pssing with laughter, it will get done. laugh
Posted By: Tatey Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 15th Jul 2011 5:17am
Tatey, spoke to John over the Debeg,it's split from the tx due to changes they did moving other kit about, both parts are next to each other and are on show,John says it was working before they split it, and it's on his maintainence roster to put it back together working as quote "soon as he gets this bloody emergency morse reciever unit working, some b'tards have knicked the bulbs etc, who knicked the bulbs" on that remark I walked away, pssing with laughter, it will get done. laugh

If anyone is interested in the history of the Debeg, I was on the vessel that it came from in Singapore & have more than a few stories to tell!
Posted By: davew3 Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 15th Jul 2011 7:10pm
You write it down and put them here and I will make sure the stories are copied and printed out, that's with your permission and put next to the Debeg, people love potted history/stories, at the moment all hell has let loose at the fort,if it's still paint it and if it moves clean it or hide it, we have her Honour the Mayor coming in a week or so on an official visit around the fort, she came a few weeks ago and didn't have time to have a look around due to other commitments and she made request come back.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 16th Jul 2011 8:44am
davew3

The radio came from the dive support vessel "Ocean Winsertor" when she was based in Singapore during an upgrade & was given to me as I was the diving superintendent on board at the time.
The vessel was built in Germany in 1975 for the company OSA & was named Winsertor after one of the gateways or "Tor's" of a city, possibly Hamburg. She was originally a pipe carrier, taking 40 foot lengths of line pipe for North Sea oil, but was later converted to a dive vessel using a four point mooring system. Her IMO number was/is 7406227 & if "Googled" there are some stories on there about pirate attacks.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 16th Jul 2011 9:18am
Tatey, I'm an ex-radio op and wouldn't mind giving assistance in the wireless office, ex-morse hog.
Also ex submariner so could assist in the Thetis bit with explanations etc. Who do I see for this and when is a good day to nip over to do a recce. Been in there as a visitor and well impressed.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 16th Jul 2011 9:58am
BANDY,

Think it might be davew3 you need to chat to, but I am up for a pint whenever you are in New Brighton & we can tell a few stories of old Singapore!
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 16th Jul 2011 10:23am
Not for the faint hearted boys.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 16th Jul 2011 11:06am
Bezzy,

Nothing ever is!
Posted By: davew3 Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 26th Jul 2011 9:40pm
Bandycoot and Tatey, hope you enjoyed your little trip to the fort today, but I have a question I forgot to ask you,
question : who can hold their breath for longer a diver or a submariner. seeyu
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 26th Jul 2011 9:48pm
Bandycoot and Tatey, hope you enjoyed your little trip to the fort today, but I have a question I forgot to ask you,
question : who can hold their breath for longer a diver or a submariner. seeyu
Ask anyone that's been through SETT raftl
Posted By: Tatey Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 27th Jul 2011 7:32am
Another lovely day on the fort, sunshine & light airs! Luckily is is not a requirement for commercial divers to hold their breath, unless all fails. But with submariners on course, like SETT, so do & have to be reminded to breathe out on the way up!
Posted By: Tatey Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 27th Jul 2011 7:48am
TYPO, should read "some" do.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Marine Radio Museum, Fort Perch Rock - 27th Jul 2011 8:41am
Did one re-qual in the SETT and came out at 60ft and for some reason didn't exhale and was grabbed by the swim boy who then punched me in the stomach and let me go once I got the message. The embrassment when it turned out to be one of my old coxswains, Jock Ross, who had grabbed me was very acute to say the least. For those not in the know, if you don't exhale your lungs explode, charmin'. Had to do a recent flowmeter test at the doc's and she equipped me with a nose clip and told me to keep blowing, it brought back memories.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral