Forums
Posted By: Spellbinder Abbotsford pub Rock Ferry - 17th Jun 2011 11:50am
As a child I lived in Rock Ferry very close to where the Abbotsford pub now stands. In those days it was just a field (we seemed to be surrounded by fields then - we always referred to this particular one as "The Field" as opposed to "The Top Field" or "The Back Field").

I seem to recall, as children, we always assumed this field was actually a cleared bomb site although I don't remember anyone ever actually telling us this. Looking back, and imagining it as it was, I now think this wasn't the case. Certainly there was evidence that there had been buildings on it at one time.

Does anyone here know its true history?
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Abbotsford pub Rock Ferry - 19th Jun 2011 1:13pm
The Abbotsford has gone now has'nt it?
i seem to remember seeing a pic somewere and there was a church on the site at one time------100s of yrs ago, am i right?
Posted By: TheDr Re: Abbotsford pub Rock Ferry - 19th Jun 2011 1:55pm
The Abbotsford has closed but the building is still there (was last week anyway), I think they they are trying to sell the site for redevelopment, but judging by how long the land directly across the road from it has been for sale (the old car showroom), it might be available for some time.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Abbotsford pub Rock Ferry - 19th Jun 2011 2:31pm
The building is still there and it's just a deserted building. Shame really as it's a big size if someone wanted to re-open it, good size car park etc.

As for the history of the land I have no idea, would be interested if people did know though.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Abbotsford pub Rock Ferry - 19th Jun 2011 7:39pm
here's the pic, i knew i had seen it somewere, it was in a book i have...........................

Attached picture img039.jpg
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Abbotsford pub Rock Ferry - 19th Jun 2011 7:41pm
I heard a rumour that the site was earmarked for a supermarket!?
Posted By: rosa466 Re: Abbotsford pub Rock Ferry - 11th Oct 2014 9:48am
I have a bit of a theory to where this church might have been.. on the tithe maps of rock ferry 1841, roughly where Haddon rd and Buxton Rd are now, the land they are on was called Dunkirk field.
The meaning of Dunkirk is literally church of the dunes, from Dutch Duinkerke, from duin (“dune”) + kerk (“church”)
as no one is sure where the church was I think the field area of Dunkirk is a good candidate and its not that far from the site of the Abbortsford.
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Abbotsford pub Rock Ferry - 18th Oct 2014 7:34pm
It was an empty site when I lived in Rock Lane West in the late 50's. I was told by family members that a large house once stood on the site , but it was bomb damaged during the war.

Bob.
Posted By: ap493 Re: Abbotsford pub Rock Ferry - 5th Aug 2023 11:33am
Abbotsford House - first a private house then a nursing home in WW1, then a hotel. The houses next to it on Rock Lane East were bombed and I suspect it would have been damaged too - and after the war both it, and The Grange which stood opposite, on the south side of Old Chester Road, were demolished.

Attached picture abbosfordhouse.jpg
Attached picture abbotsford.jpg
Attached picture 1919_newchesterroad.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral