Forums
Posted By: bert1 Birkenhead war dead, etc - 25th May 2011 3:01pm
An interesting site I've not seen before, some good reads, etc.

http://www.freewebs.com/cheshirepeople/wirralatwar.htm
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Birkenhead war dead, etc - 25th May 2011 4:36pm
Thanks Bert,looks interesting.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Birkenhead war dead, etc - 25th May 2011 6:46pm
Good find that, bert
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Birkenhead war dead, etc - 25th May 2011 7:24pm
Just read Nelly`s story ... how sad` and to think my late Gran said things of this nature did`nt happen back then or maybe it wasn't widely publicized .... same s..t just different dates
Posted By: cameraman Re: Birkenhead war dead, etc - 25th May 2011 7:55pm
Many Many thanks for posting this. You have just filled in part of a missing link in my family tree in the Dad's Navy section. I could never find anything on James Woodfin born New Ferry 1915 and Died in the States in the 70's. Turns out he was a Wirral Survivor of HMS Courageous 1939, was a Leading Seaman in the Royal Navy. I can now try and get hold of his records and start filling in the gaps.
Posted By: cameraman Re: Birkenhead war dead, etc - 25th May 2011 8:21pm
He's listed as James Woodin but his service number is JX 154177 and should read Woodfin
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Birkenhead war dead, etc - 25th May 2011 8:51pm
just read Nelly's story, oh that poor girl! i have heard of this murder before.
i think they covered up things like that then.

very interesting site, thanks for shareing.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Birkenhead war dead, etc - 25th May 2011 10:16pm
Yep just read that site, page to page. very interesting thanks for sharing, I get bored on the internet these days so a nice little find like that makes my night.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Birkenhead war dead, etc - 26th May 2011 7:39am
I am glad you found it useful and it helped in your family tree, so many men on the Courageous from this area, unlike the Army who recruit locally and the chances are you will serve with men from your area, the Navy as far as i know designate one with a ship or posting, perhaps an old salt can enlighten us if many men from the same area would serve on the same ship, would it be usual practice.

How the murder of Nellie went unsolved makes one wonder.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral